Favourite Drummer

Sabin Frost

Doom makes me happy
Apr 21, 2007
South Australia, Australia
Why not, there is a vocalist thread going around.

For me I have a few,

John Longstreth (origin) is definetely one of the most skillful drummers going around (he is ambidexterous).

Raymond Herrera (fear factory) is an old favourite of mine because the guy is honest to god an android, there is no way a human can play with that kind of machine precision.

Martin Lopez (Opeth) - Almost cried when he left Opeth, I loved how he could seamlessly go from death metal fills and rapid double bass kicks to jazzy, melodic drumming in in under a second.

Oh and John Bonham (Led Zeppelin), king of the kit, if you dissagree you better have watched live videos of him first.

Hellhammer (Mayhem, Arcturus, Dimmu Borgir, The Kovenant)
Trym (Emperor, Zyklon, Tartaros)
Inferno (Behemoth)
Asgeir Mickelson (Borknagar)
Frost (Satyricon, 1349)

Proscriptor. Just listen to the intro section of Triangular Tattvic Fire. It really showcases how diverse he can be and how no second goes wasted, always adding a small unique embellishment each measure.

As much as people disagree with me, I still have to say my favorite is Vinnie Paul (Pantera; but you all knew that) He doesn't go all out and create boring speedy double bass for 3000000000 minutes, but he has a very controlled technique with his drumming which makes a simple (not always) yet creative style.

Proscriptor. Just listen to the intro section of Triangular Tattvic Fire. It really showcases how diverse he can be and how no second goes wasted, always adding a small unique embellishment each measure.

:kickass: Listen to this wise man. How good is that song! The drumming is truly the lead instrument, not in the over-the-top Cryptopsy kind of way (as much as I love Flo), but in a hypnotic powerful way.

Oh and John Bonham (Led Zeppelin), king of the kit, if you dissagree you better have watched live videos of him first.

Very true. Watching this man live is something else.

I went to see Herbie Hancock play a few weeks ago and his drummer, Vinnie Coliauta (Zappa's former drummer if you haven't heard of him), put on the most amazing performance I've ever seen. I've never seen someone with so much dexterity, control, expressiveness, originality and freakish skill on the kit before. There were uncontrollable moans of pleasure coming from my mouth :loco:

And another one not mentioned yet is Brann Dailor from Mastodon. The only reason I listen to the band. That berzerk 2 minute flurry in the latter half of 'Capillarian Crest' blows my mind.