favourite non-metal albums

damn, i forgot two of the most important ones... :eek:
tori amos, of course, and frank fucking zappa. everything they've done (especially zappas overnight sensation and the lumpy gravy and we're only in it for the money)

@ ~mel~ lacrimosa fuckin rock da house, yo

anyway, Ronja Rövardotter? You want some translations of the lyrics? Hehe...:) Weird, but then again.. Astrid Lindgren is quite big...:).. [posted by phyros]

AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!! gimmegimmegimme pleeeeease!!!!!!!!

I'm glad to see i'm not alone :D

From Spain rise up only shit like Julio Iglesias & family or Alejandro Sanz (ppl without a significant voice). But some existing bands , despite of the austere helping by studios, publicist, and spanish companies, fight to become famous. Some great bands / artists:

- La Trampa
- Golden Farm
- Sangre Azul
- Mago de Oz (this one is the only supported)

Led Zeppelin I to IV
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
System of a Down (is "circus metal" metal? :confused: ) - both albums
La Polla Records - all albums

(and Mago de Oz sucks since a couple of years ago: they're so umbearable with the "we, the stars" attitude...)

Creed- My own prison
Creed-Human clay
Simon and Garfunkle-Tales from new york
red hot chili peppers-blood suger sex magic
Mark Knopfler-Sailing to philadelphia

Hey, Mark Knopfler, sure, "Sailing To Philadelphia" is a great album.

- REM .- "Out of Time"
- Albinoni & Vivaldi's classical stuff (before they changed to dark-gothic metal performers, hehe)
- Joan Manel Serrat RULES!

Originally posted by diedne
(and Mago de Oz sucks since a couple of years ago: they're so umbearable with the "we, the stars" attitude...)

uh.. sad to hear this. :cry:

i actually thought they were pretty good (well, some lyrics are depressingly naive, come to think of it) and bought all their stuff in a mago de oz frenzy round about last summer. didn't know a thing about their attitude, otherwise i would have... well... i don't know... bombed their tour bus? :cool:

rahvin.

about Mago de Oz >> don't worry too much about them, after all the music isn't bad (although they are starting to be very very comercial: in their last albums there is a song about sexual tolerance, other about drugs, other with funny explicit lyrics, one very funny... covering all the market)... but the money and the success have those things. in the first time they were music fans trying to become something. i saw them twice, once playing in such a small bar that when the show finished i just raise my arm and the fiddler and i share our hands and talked for a while. the other time it was the cheaper show i've ever seen (about 6 € or so), and they gave a present to everyone, a CD with two songs...

nowadays... well, too much sold records, too much fans, i suposse that it's logical, they must distanciate or be banished by the hordes of fans :err:

anyway their Jesús de Chamberí is a great album, it's fucking funny :D

Greetings.

Joost : Absolutely, totally agreeing with you ; Devil Doll is among the best band one can find, and Mr. Doctor is THE man. :) A friend and I are considering doing a tribute to Devil Doll... with me on vocals ;) All there's left is the orchestra.... the rest of the band.... the money... hehe

Anyway :

- Marillion : All. My favorite band of all times.
- Genesis. Jethro Tull. Pink Floyd (esp. The Wall, Atom Heart Mother, Wish you were here, animals)
- Midnight Oil : Lots of good albums, especially "10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0" and "Red Sails in the Sunset"
- Autumn Tears
- Dead Can Dance
- err..... lots more ;)

I like all the stuff of Mago de Oz, in fact. All people used to like them nowadays hate them, perhaps following fashions. I saw them two times live, and I like their show and their vocalist. Comercial? Bad attitude? I really don't know, but there are a few bands without any kind of consideration to their fans, but with really great albums for sale.

But that isn't the problem, I think. The bands have a lot of troubles and don't find support to rise, and we've great bands here in Spain. Some of them:

- Skyline
- La Trampa
- Reina de Corazones

@diedne: You saw Mago de Oz in their first times? Where are you come from?

Joy Division // Unknown pleasure-- Closer
The Cure // Disintegration
Television //Marquee moon
Tiamat // Deeper kind of slumber
Type 0 Negative // Bloody kisses

etc

Nah Rahvin....well may be a little, but here there has been a boom with Mago de Oz. The problem is same one as everyfamous band (even Mago de Oz has kept his fame_boom only within our country and so the "all")
They released Finisterra (their last work, a 2cd album which is pretty good) and everybody seem to like it. It was a masterpiece. Then they sell a lot (really a lot!!!) they start to get on the charts where normally cheesy bands are, and voilà, many ppl who actually said they were great now say they've sold themselves and stuff. It is true that they now have a "new_way" on their live gigs, but till the next album I won't say a bad word of IMHO the best Spanish metal band nowadays!

I like a lot of nonmetal stuff, and a good bit of stuff that's been mentioned here-- seems Jethro Tull is pretty popular, and deservedly so.

So some of my favorite non-metal albums, in completely random order:

Styx-- Pieces of Eight (actually my second favorite album, ever, period)
Eminem-- The Marshall Mathers LP
DMX-- And Then There Was X
Thin Lizzy-- Johnny The Fox
Genesis-- Foxtrot (anything, really, but this is my favorite of theirs)
Gustav Holst-- The Planets
Weather Report-- Heavy Weather
The Art Tatum Group Masterpieces
Buddy Rich-- anything he was involved with
Sigur Ros-- in small doses, but these guys are insane brilliant
Bruce Dickinson-- Skunkworks (SUCH an underrated album!)
Boston-- Boston
Tull-- Thick, Aqualung
Kansas-- pretty well anything
Journey-- same
Nelly Furtado-- Whoa Nelly!
Paula Cole-- Amen

I'd better stop before I REALLY get rolling!

Actually, Styx is in my top-three all-time bands, so I can add a bunch more of their albums :)

hmm now lets see...

smashing pumpkins- adore; melon collie
jeff buckley- grace
depeche mode - ultra; singles 19XX- 86 or something..
magnolia original soundtrack
bad religion -all ages (i don't think thats metal)
madonna - immaculate collection (oh my beloved eigthies!)

damn, thats really quite bad!
:loco:

about Mago de Oz >> don't worry too much about them, after all the music isn't bad

Not bad...hilarious:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aqui estare lyrics gotta be the funniest song in metal talking about brotherhood and how everyone has went away from the scene but i will be here!! :lol: it just too much