Non Metal Thread

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
I would like to dedicate this thread to the non-metal asskickery out there. As most of you know, my musical tastes are ALL over the fucking board and during these few months of "good" weather, I have been listening to almost exclusively non-metal. Let's name a few of our favorites outside the metal genre. I am always open to bands/artists I haven't heard before. Anyways, here are a few of my favorites of all time, and merely at the moment.

Radiohead - Entire discography (prob my fav of all-time)
Sol Invictus - Lex Talionis
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Brant Bjork - Jalamanta
CAN - Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi
Yes - earlier years
Tool - ALL
Amon Düül II - Yeti
Elliot Smith - From A Basement On The Hill
Budgie - Bandolier, s/t
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
Rush - MOving Pictures, 2112, Permanent Waves
Led Zep - obviously
Big Elf - Hex
Dredg - El Cielo
Beck - Sea Change
Bjork - Best of
Jeff Buckley - almost everything
Captain Beyond - s/t
Comets on Fire - Blue Cathedral
GY!BE - Lift Your...
Jethro Tull - most stuff from 70's era
Leaf Hound - Growers of Mushroom
Mono
Magyar Posse
Muse - Absolution, Origin of Symmetry
NIN - The Downward Spiral
Pink Floyd - 60s/70s
QOTSA - Lullabies To Paralyze
Strung Out
Lagwagon
Tenhi

yadda yadda

*insert 40% of my collection here*

Actually it's probably more like 25% but for whatever reason people deny groups like Neurosis, Isis, and Today is the Day as being metal. :guh:

Heh, coincidentally, today I bought two "mainstream" albums:

Regina Specter - Soviet Kitsch

Anyone heard of this artist? She sounds like a cross between Bjork, Joni Mitchell, and that chick from Lake of Tears. Really cool music. Bought it for the wife actually. She loves this kind of stuff. I actually heard her song "Us" in the movie theater waiting for Sith, and made a mental note to buy it pretty much as soon as possible.

System of a Down - Mesmerize

I don't know why but I fucking LOVE this band, especially Serj Tankian's vocals. They are just perfect for me, and the band recently performed some new material on Saturday Night Live, and I though "woah" like Keanu Reeves when he watches Trinity jump over buildings and get her paps out for the lads.

One Inch Man said:
...but for whatever reason people deny groups like Neurosis, Isis, and Today is the Day as being metal. :guh:

That makes no sense. :err: Maybe not Traditional Metal, but undoubtedly metal. I gues it is a matter of perspective and how broad the definition of metal is to you. Whatever...:err:

System are so god damn metal! That being said I'm not a fan of the new one, but I've only heard it once. Seems like a retread for them.

Doomcifer said:
That makes no sense. :err: Maybe not Traditional Metal, but undoubtedly metal. I gues it is a matter of perspective and how broad the definition of metal is to you. Whatever...:err:
Seriously. I guess you missed that thread where everyone called me an eedjit because I said Isis were metal. :dopey:

So far listed in this "non-metal" thread:

Tool
Budgie
Pain of Salvation
Rush
Led Zeppelin
Jethro Tull
QOTSA
Tenhi
Neurosis
Isis
Today is the Day
System of a Down

And the walls of Jericho come tumbling down... :loco:

One Inch Man said:
Seriously. I guess you missed that thread where everyone called me an eedjit because I said Isis were metal. :dopey:

Bollocks.

You said "hardcore is the future of the world and it's saving heavy metal as we know it", and several people (in unison) screamed "FUCK OFF" at their computer screens and felt the urge to bury you in a box.

But yeah, when is metal not metal? When it's lolcore. And I like Isis. :tickled:

OK enough threadjacking... :loco:

angermanagement0js.gif

JayKeeley said:
And the walls of Jericho come tumbling down... :loco:
:tickled:

Unquestionably NON-metal listening as of late:

King Crimson - Lizard
Brant Bjork - Jalamanta
Beck - Mellow Gold
Swans - The Great Annihilator
Life Aquatic soundtrack
Devo - Are We Not Men? We Are Devo!
The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la Band - Born Into Trouble as the Sparks Fly Upward
The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium
Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
Adrian Belew - Side One
Ulver - Teachings in Silence
Infidel? / Castro! - Bioentropic Damage Fractal

I need more Beck dammit, years of ignoring him are smacking me in the face right now. Fucker's a genius.

JayKeeley said:
Bollocks.

You said "hardcore is the future of the world and it's saving heavy metal as we know it", and several people (in unison) screamed "FUCK OFF" at their computer screens and felt the urge to bury you in a box.

But yeah, when is metal not metal? When it's lolcore. And I like Isis. :tickled:

OK enough threadjacking... :loco:
No, different thread. It was shortlived, something like "How the fuck are Isis NOT metal?!?!" and a few people came in saying "because they aren't" and that was about the best explanation anyone could muster. Oh wait, they said heavy riffs didn't always equal metal, something like that.

I suppose techno beats and go-go dancers don't always equal techno dance music then, right? :dopey:

The decisive majority of my recent listening has been non-metal...System of a down can blow it out their ass.

heavy doses of post-rock (Mono, Mogwai, Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed and their many permutations, Do Make say Think, Fly Pan Am, Tarentel, Eluvium being favorites)
some avant-prog shit in addition to Crimson and the other classics (Guapo, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Muadlin/Kayo Dot, etc.), including one instant classic (I haven't gone a day without listening to something from Deadwing since it arrived)
some post-hardcore (Isis...are so fucking metal it hurts). Not really, but I am looking forward to getting my face melted by DEP at Gigantour.
Frank Zappa...no words necessary, the ultimate wallet-killing musician.

a few i like:

VAST-all
Girls Against Boys- Freak*On*Ica
Spacehog- The Chinese Album
Depeche Mode-all

*runs off with limp wrists flailing about*

First off, System blows goat balls.

I try listening to some non-metal, but most of it just bores me. Like Radiohead. Long fucking yawn.

For me:

Jeff Buckley - everything
Devin Townsend stuff (non-SYL)
Chris Cornell
Failure
Tool
Soundgarden (metal?)
Die Verbannten Kinder Evas
Dargaard

Not sure if clasified as metal:

Monster Magnet
Clutch

as well as various -core bands and the "genre including TiTD, Isis, Neurosis, etc.

Boards of Canada (one of the best bands ever in one's opinion)
Aphex Twin
Venetian Snares
DJ Dara
Tangerine Dream
PhantomSmasher
Philip Glass
Richard Einhorn
Photek
Victor Wooten
Yes
Sunn O))

Some of my longest-running, decidedly non metal favorites: