The Un-Metal thread...

Metalliced

Oct 26, 2012
Portland, ME
www.facebook.com
It's a foregone conclusion that were all here to (for the most part) discuss subjects related to Heavy Metal, and all it's sub-genres. One thing I've noticed over the years is that most Metal fans also enjoy other styles of music as well. What are some of your 'non' Metal favorites? What albums have you been listening to recently that fall outside the Metal genre?

AOR obviously, but I also dig some punk (the melodic/poppy stuff especially) and really love the '50s rock/rockabilly sound. And I have a soft spot for "chick rock" bands like the Bangles, the Go Gos and the Corrs.

some of my favorite non-metal bands are:

The Tragically Hip
Journey
Toto
Marillion
etc.

I have about 5,000 cds i would classify as non-metal. Also, people can feel free to start threads on ANY BANDS THEY WANT TO DISCUSS. We don't have to keep it only relegated to this thread. We have proven so far that most of us coming into this forum are pretty open-minded to discuss most anything. haha.

Oh, I listen to a lot of non-metal music. Mainly 70s rock and AOR but also The Beatles, The Doors, Saga, Pink Floyd, Queen. Lately I've also listened to a lot of 80s synth-pop, like A-HA and Duran Duran.

Same here with the 70's Rock: Kansas, Rush, Pink Floyd, even the first Boston album. The Cars. I could go on all day:loco: People would classify some of those as Metal, but far from it. Totally different sounds, totally different world. The thing I like most about back then, is that every single (recording) band had their own sound. You knew who it was almost immediately when you heard a song. And radio stations still rocked!:devil:

some of my favorite non-metal bands are:

The Tragically Hip
Journey
Toto
Marillion
etc.

I have about 5,000 cds i would classify as non-metal. Also, people can feel free to start threads on ANY BANDS THEY WANT TO DISCUSS. We don't have to keep it only relegated to this thread. We have proven so far that most of us coming into this forum are pretty open-minded to discuss most anything. haha.

Toto and Marillion = :worship:

Was listening to "goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John today, the remastered 2-disc version. One of my favorite albums of all time. "Funeral For a Friend/ Love Lies Bleeding" is just brilliant. Bernie Taupin was a great, great lyricist during this time period, and the songs that make up this album are some of his best, imo. Any other pre-80's Elton fans out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think alot if not most heavy metal fans start at the classic rock era of the 70s, i know that where i started. I have a strong love for jazz, soul, and funk. But nothing like some good ole jazz! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0nwSv6cTU

with these guys also came my appreciation of Mahavishnu Orchestra from a crazy bass player I went to high school with. he worshiped Jaco and Stu Hamm.

Last edited by a moderator:
with these guys also came my appreciation of Mahavishnu Orchestra from a crazy bass player I went to high school with. he worshiped Jaco and Stu Hamm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEyKBr0KXT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoGwEVTJBHo

Mahavishnu and John McLauglin are insane, i remember when i first heard them in my formative music years and i went insane. Sooo damn good.

I bow to the feet of Jaco, my favorite bass player. Even though Les Claypool gives him a run for his money ;)

Myself I like all kinds of stuff that is not metal, for instance I'm a big fan of The Cure and Christian Death. I guess I'll mention Kate Bush so Matt and Justin can poke fun at me. I'm really into early 80s goth rock, severed my time going to see punk and hardcore bands, even a brief time with ska. I like Culture Club and Boy George. And I really dig that Minnesota r&b like Prince, The Time, etc.

Myself I like all kinds of stuff that is not metal, for instance I'm a big fan of The Cure and Christian Death. I guess I'll mention Kate Bush so Matt and Justin can poke fun at me. I'm really into early 80s goth rock, severed my time going to see punk and hardcore bands, even a brief time with ska. I like Culture Club and Boy George. And I really dig that Minnesota r&b like Prince, The Time, etc.

I dig all that stuff minus Culture Club, though the guy in the band was very talented, from what I heard. I used to listen to The Cure alot, until I discovered there were even more obsessive/depressed musicians and moved on to those artists, hehe..

Another great band from back then was Husker Du. "Candy Apple Gray", baby...

Dan Swano is my God. Nightingale rule. Saw them at ProgPower many many years ago. Jeremy, you were there.

Nightingale was great. I had two of their albums which I loved, and played repeatedly for a long while. Dan Swano has one of those voices you can appreciate even without music, very talented dude. I even like the Death Metal shit he did. Can't remember the band, but I used to have "Crimson II" by them. I was heavily into Soilwork at the time, and someone suggested I might like them as well. Not entirely the same, but I liked 'em, regardless. Edge Of Sanity, maybe?