Non Metal Thread

When is metal not metal? When it's lolcore. <-- this is going in the Royal Carnage 2.0 <title> tag :D

I like:
Antimatter
Boyd Rice and Friends (not so much for the music)
Death in June
Empyrium
Forseti
Hagalaz' Runedance
Liholesie
Menhir
Nest
Nothing
Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra
Of the Wand and the Moon
Orplid
Sol Invictus
Tenhi
Ulver
Variabel Parabel

Isis is ok too I guess

J. and Doomcifer, you guys might be interested William Elliott Whitmore. He is a blues/folk singer with a very dark voice and some very dark lyrics. Its mostly just him and his acoustic guitar. It is excellent non-metal stuff. Here's a sample.

http://www.southern.net/southern/band/WILEW/28111_audio.php

http://www.southern.net/southern/band/WILEW/28106_audio.php

The samples load kind of slow, but give them a chance.

I also think the new Foo Fighters is going to be really good. For some reason I really like Dave Grohl's stuff.

Miles Davis
Shahin & Sepehr
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Diana Krall

And the best guitar player that most people have never heard of, Johnny A. I saw him again on Thursday night, opening for Robert Cray (which reminds me, I need to buy some Robert Cray CDs) and Johnny just fucking smoked!

Zod

I don't want to turn this into a debate over the boundaries of metal, but most of the bands Jay called into question are either hard rock, hardcore, or hard to categroize because they share my view that labels are arbitrary bullshit. Next month stands to be a good one for the ever-opular bands who are longer metal but have strong ties to metal and are enjoyed primarily by metalheads genre. Ulver and Antimatter releasing new ones and Katatonia in the studio...but like Isis, who would deny that Blakkheim is metal as fuck?

Half of the stuff I listen to isn't metal. To name a few favourites:
Herbie Hancock
Ultraviolence
Covenant
Wolfsheim
Mesh
Envy
This Mortal Coil
Delerium
Notwist
Dissecting Table
Whitehouse
Coil
NIN
SMashing Pumkins
GnR
Godspeed
ASMZ
Apoptygma Beserk
Leonard Cohen
Kraftwerk
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Mike Oldfield
Enigma
Nick Cave
Throbbing Gristle
Velvet Acid Christ

:)

I like to listen to the tears of babbies hitting the floor as I filet them alive.

oh yea, and that fucking song BYOB by SOAD is complete shit and anoying to.

Nate The Great said:
J. and Doomcifer, you guys might be interested William Elliott Whitmore. He is a blues/folk singer with a very dark voice and some very dark lyrics. Its mostly just him and his acoustic guitar. It is excellent non-metal stuff. Here's a sample.

http://www.southern.net/southern/band/WILEW/28111_audio.php

http://www.southern.net/southern/band/WILEW/28106_audio.php

The samples load kind of slow, but give them a chance.

I also think the new Foo Fighters is going to be really good. For some reason I really like Dave Grohl's stuff.

Thanks for the rec. Im on it.:)

EDIT: I like that song Midnight.

Can't forget about the obscure 60/70's calssic rock, psychedelia.

Darius
Fire
Evolution
Fraction
JPT Scare Band
Irish Coffee
Orange Sunshine
Maypole
Pan & Regaliz
Out of Focus
The Devils

etc etc etc etc etc so many

Doomcifer said:
Thanks for the rec. Im on it.:)

EDIT: I like that song Midnight.

That dudes voice sounds like he's about 65 and been smoking 6 packs a day, but he's actually in his 20's or early 30's I think. His songs are pretty dark overall. Murder, suicide, etc.

Nate The Great said:
I think it's about time I gave the Spooge Fighters another whirl, heard their debut when it came out and saw them live 5 years ago, both occasions left me unimpressed. But lately I've been listening to a lot of Nirvana and realizing what a great musician Grohl is, so yeah.

I like a bunch of "sissy" punkrock, hardcore (not particularly into metalcore), ska and related genres (except emo and screamocore etc). Some of my favourite non-metal bands:

Terrorgruppe
Die Toten Hosen
Die Ärzte
NOFX
No Fun At All
Undeclinable Ambuscade
Rancid
Millencolin
Less Than Jake
Minor Threat
Bad Religion
WIZO

ScottG said:
+ fucking 1, camel are teh best...if you like them check out this swedish band The Works, new prog kicks ass...anekdoten, paatos, landberk, etc. i'm just getting into this stuff for the most part.

speaking of non-metal, i saw the mars volta on friday night, fucking good show...granted i was stoned off my fucking gourd but it was savage, the music pretty much didn't stop for 2 hours. no macho stage posturing, no flashy laser show or smoke machines, no encores, just music...and weird spazz-dancing by omar and cedric.