Feelings on the M-Audio Profire 2626

Thanks guys =]]
the comments are reassuring
ive known i need an upgrade and now i feel confident in purchasing one

Love mine as much as I did on day 1 still over a year later. Not a single problem so far. I could actually hear an obvious jump in quality from my MOTU 8Pre's conversion immediately after switching them around. Look for a "B-Stock" on eBay, they are usually brand new unopened units sold as "B-Stock" to sell them, I got mine for $550 and it was unopened brand new still.

You may also want to consider the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. It's less expensive and is a great interface on par with the Profire 2626. Neither is really better than the other but i prefer the Focusrite preamps as they have a little more gain to them I've noticed. It's nice to have that extra gain when you have a weaker source, like with a ribbon mic. I do prefer the feel of the Focusrite more than the Profire, the knobs on the Profire feel a bit toyish imo. You also get led metering for each channel which is nice to have. The Profire however has an extra ADAT I/O that would permit you to get 8 more channels for up to 26 vs the 18 on the Saffire. That said, either unit would be an equally suitable upgrade. Neither will sound better than the other, both are very capable interfaces, it's just a matter of what you prefer in terms of features.

If you can spare the cash however, RME might be something to consider too depending on what you need. Amazing interfaces, but expensive.

you think the 2626 could handle a sm7b
never used one but thats what i am aiming to get next and i hear they are pretty quiet

It can handle an SM7 I have used a few with it no problems. The preamp gain on the 2626 is plenty adequate in my experience.

I'm happy with mine too. Good quality pre's and conversion for the price. To be honest, the only thing I would upgrade to from the 2626 is a high-end setup. I can't see myself ever bothering with any other mid to entry level card... unless M-Audio brings out a USB3.0 2626 card in the future.

Have one and love it.
The day I set it up and played through it I lost my shit, sooooooo much better than what I was using to tide me over(alesis io2, computer had no firewire card)
Latency is great.

I've used my SM7b with it with no problems.
The only thing I found was that I had to up the gain a bit for quite vocals, even then I didn't max out.

Best buy I've made, got mine for $470 off eBay BRAND NEW from Unique Squared.

Love mine as much as I did on day 1 still over a year later. Not a single problem so far. I could actually hear an obvious jump in quality from my MOTU 8Pre's conversion immediately after switching them around. Look for a "B-Stock" on eBay, they are usually brand new unopened units sold as "B-Stock" to sell them, I got mine for $550 and it was unopened brand new still.

I did the same, my only problem was the midi out port on the harness came DOA and I didn't want to deal with Unique Squared or M-Audio just for a midi port. :lol:

I recall pluggin mine in and bringing up an old session I'd done with my 002, and knew well; and thinking, HOLY SHIT the depth of the stereo field was a huge improvement.
I honestly did not expect the unit to be this good.

There is people likke 006 and others who have had no issues and then there people like me who things sadly dident go so smooth.

Don't get me wrong its a great unit and I loved it.. buut, I had about 5 BSOD a day while I was XP caused by the unit (massive post in official forums about it) and in the end it decided from one day to another to not being able to sync with my PC.

But still, the price i awesome for what you get !

People tend to knock M-Audio stuff, but for the most part, I think their stuff is really decent. It isn't high-end, but it is workhorse stuff that does the job.

People tend to knock M-Audio stuff, but for the most part, I think their stuff is really decent. It isn't high-end, but it is workhorse stuff that does the job.

hump.gif

I am using their Project Mix, it's really nice for the price. Also, their Solaris mic does good stuff to thrash vocals.