Feelings on this year's upcoming show

frohicke63

New Metal Member
Sep 14, 2004
CT
Let me start by saying that progpower is my favorite metal event of the year and I have attended the last three. As for this years event....I was thrilled that Sonata Arctica was announced as the headliner for friday and with bands such as Primal Fear, Raintime and Firewind playing also I felt reasonably sure that I was attending. The announcement of After Forever was a very hollow one. I feel quite disappointed and think that I won't go. I live in New York and fly down for a few days each year with my brother. We beat the hell out of our bodies with alcohol consumption, bad food and very little sleep for three days but it's always been worth it. We always had two great headliners and even though my brother feel asleep during Evergrey (moron) we always made it through each day. But I know I won't care about making it through the Saturday lineup this year. I am not blaming anybody for this and I know that people will say that it's sour grapes for me. I just wanted to write this because I feel disappointed. I would have loved Nightwish but I am sure that I am not alone in that. After Forever is a very weak substitute.
I want to end by saying that this is still the best festival I have ever attended. Even better than the old Monsters of Rock festivals in Donnington England.

I can understand where you're coming from but everyone can't be pleased every year. I personally feel that the fest is extremely strong this year and I think After Forever was a great choice for the last slot. I'm looking forward to seeing almost all of the bands.

To each his own. The festival isn't just about music to me its about great friends that I have met over the years, getting away from the norm and getting to see great bands play that you would never get a chance to see hardly anywhere in the USA. Someone will gladly take your ticket.

I think this is one of the most solid lineups in my opinion and with the addition of the showcase on the main stage its turning into an even greater event.

Bear

This will be my first show. I've been wanting to go for the past 4 years, but something was always in the way. I am very excited about the headliners. I love Sonata Arctica and After Forever. Pagans Mind, Communic, and Primal Fear are a couple others that sealed the deal for me. Yeah, hearing that there was a push for Nightwish and even a Savatage reunion would have been more than awesome. But I am looking forward to hanging out, meeting people, drinking, and hearing some great music over the course of 48 hours.

To each his own. The festival isn't just about music to me its about great friends that I have met over the years, getting away from the norm and getting to see great bands play that you would never get a chance to see hardly anywhere in the USA. Someone will gladly take your ticket.

I think this is one of the most solid lineups in my opinion and with the addition of the showcase on the main stage its turning into an even greater event.

Bear

Bear, you couldn't have said it more eloquent, it's not all about the bands and the music, it's about old friends and meeting new friends, and just being part of this annual event, and then you throw in this year's awesome line-up its a win-win situation for all. And as you said some one will gladlly take that ticket, and any others that don't want to go. It will be their loss. By the way can't wait to hang out with you guys again this year, and i will be bringing my daughter this year she is so excited, and her for one is as excited as I am about seeing AF and to also see FREAK KITCHEN.

See ya there.

For a lot of people, it is about the music though.

But I don't get not going just because you don't like one headliner...

This will be my first Porg Power and I am stoked about it. The line up is solid even though there are some bands I am not familiar with. This for me is must show with Redemption- Primal Fear - Sonata - Pagans Mind . This is a strong line up for me and I am very pleased with it. I know I will enjoy most of the other bands. There is really only one band I could do without so I have no room to complain.

I am very excited about all the bands but lately, Raintime's cd has REALLY grown on me. I love these guys and am even in the process of ordering a t-shirt from them. I'm sure most everyone here has already checked them out and formed their own opinions about them but if anyone hasn't, check this band out. They are great guys and a great band as well.

For a lot of people, it is about the music though.

But I don't get not going just because you don't like one headliner...

Agreed. It's all about the music for me. However, I can't see skipping because you don't like 1 headliner. After Forever is the last band on the last night. If you can't stand them you've watched 9 to 13 other bands before they go on. Start your party early.

Yep. For me, it's as much about the events as the bands. Last year, other than Zero Hour and Pyramaze, the line-up didn't interest me that much. Yet, I had a great time.

I'm a little surprised that someone who likes Nightwish would be disappointed (to the point of not coming) about After Forever. To each their own, but I think After Forever is the better of the two bands. My advice to you... stick around for a few songs of After Forever, and if they bore you, get the party started early over at the Granada.:kickass:

Zod

Here's my two cents...

After Forever is going to kick everyone's ass. Big time.
Don't miss them.

=)

Exactly.

My advice for you people who are dissapointed with AF's position as headliners is that you should not give your opinions before their concert. I bet they will convince EVERYBODY ;)

After Forever is going to kick everyone's ass. Big time. Don't miss them.

I FULLY agree! I've been listening to their latest two albums and I think they're better than Epica! Floor and Simone are very good singers, but I think the writing and the backing band for AF is a higher quality than Epica. Can't wait to see them live. :kickass: :kickass:

Of course that's my 2 1/2 cent opinion. :loco:

Agreed. It's all about the music for me. However, I can't see skipping because you don't like 1 headliner. After Forever is the last band on the last night. If you can't stand them you've watched 9 to 13 other bands before they go on. Start your party early.

This is good advice. I have bailed before because of bands that didn't meet my standard. This PP won't be any different. It'll be an early Sat. for me & that's cool. l will get to see Communic & Threshold...may hang for some PF, but l may not. You can make out of the event what you want to. After all, it's your investment when you buy the ticket.
Oh...and don't feel bad about being as adament about your disappointment in a selection as the fanboys are with their pleasure in it. In everything, there should be some kind of equality...especially considering the foresaid investment. It doesn't entitle you to everything, but opinions should be afforded.

Thonolan said:
My advice for you people who are dissapointed with AF's position as headliners is that you should not give your opinions before their concert. I bet they will convince EVERYBODY ;)

Keep your advice to yourself...you're not qualified. :rolleyes:

ONE band is announced and that killed it for you??!?!?! Oh well to each his own. I myself don't like fem-fronted bands ie Nightwish, Epica, Evenescence or even Doro, but I'm still going. I'll give a listen and if I don't like it....beer run:kickass: or :Smokin: break

I've been going since PPIV only because I didn't know about the other three until PPIII was sold out. Love it this year and loved the previous years. This year's lineup blows me away. I love ALL ten bands! I'm open minded which makes it that much more enjoyable.

Let me start by saying that progpower is my favorite metal event of the year and I have attended the last three. As for this years event....I was thrilled that Sonata Arctica was announced as the headliner for friday and with bands such as Primal Fear, Raintime and Firewind playing also I felt reasonably sure that I was attending. The announcement of After Forever was a very hollow one. I feel quite disappointed and think that I won't go. I live in New York and fly down for a few days each year with my brother. We beat the hell out of our bodies with alcohol consumption, bad food and very little sleep for three days but it's always been worth it. We always had two great headliners and even though my brother feel asleep during Evergrey (moron) we always made it through each day. But I know I won't care about making it through the Saturday lineup this year. I am not blaming anybody for this and I know that people will say that it's sour grapes for me. I just wanted to write this because I feel disappointed. I would have loved Nightwish but I am sure that I am not alone in that. After Forever is a very weak substitute.
I want to end by saying that this is still the best festival I have ever attended. Even better than the old Monsters of Rock festivals in Donnington England.

I agree completely. I was really motivated to go to PPUSA this year as my first pre-AF confirmation--it will be a 20hr bus ride there and back but now I don''t feel so motivated to take it to this fest and possibly just catch SA on an offdate because they are just so damn good.

This is my favorite line up so far! And After Forever is going to slay! I lovve them. Sonata is going to slay! PF,PM, Redemption, VS, Threshold all great... Vanden Plas at the showcase!! Ok that's me...

I felt somewhat like you last year though.... But even with a only a few bands that I was really into last year (Evergrey, Mercenary, Epica, Zero Hour and somewhat Freak Kitchen), it's always worth the trip! It's the party of the year! And there are always the surprises, bands that aren't on my radar that I end up diggin after I see them at progpower....

Ans there are a ton of other surprises........ FORTH INTO THE BLACK!!!

Well have fun doing whatever it is your going to be doing that weekend... ;)

And what up? 3 posts in 3 years? ;)