Anyone else feel this same way about the show this year?

PhantomLord

New Metal Member
May 6, 2002
Indiana, USA
members.tripod.com
Hey guys,

I just saw the lineup, and have to say... I'm utterly disappointed.

Last year was my first ProgPower show. I drove 10+ hours from Indiana to get there, and it was probably the best concert I've ever been too. Blind Guardian, Angra, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Pain Of Salvation. *drools from thinking about it*

It was obvious that this years show would pale in comparison, but ever since ProgPower III, when Jon Schaffer and Richard Christy (whom I talked too) were there, it seemed a given IE would be at ProgPower IV. I would say, the last 4 or 5 months, everyone I know was 99% certain Iced Earth would be at ProgPower, but I still had my doubts.

I decided that, if IE indeed was at PPIV, I would go, and if not, it would depend on the lineup. I have to say, this lineup does absolutely NOTHING for me. Symphony X is eh, and Evergrey sounded okay from what we heard between sets last year, but I'm not about to shell out several hundred dollars for a lineup that I feel is not good in any way.

I'm still completely shocked that IE isn't there, and even more shocked that Ion Vein isn't. I thought they were a lock, but I guess not.

To all you going, have fun. The show is a blast, but this year, I just can't justify spending money when I don't like a single band on the list. I hope you'll be mature enough not to flame me for my opinion, but I guess think of it this way... This means 3 or 4 extra tickets that I won't be buying now, that you guys can get. :D:D

One more thing... Glenn - You do an amazing job man. I'm sorry that I won't be going this year, but hey, you can't please everyone. Keep up the great work, and hopefully I'll see you guys all at ProgPower V.

Not me, I am so fuckin happy!

8 out of 10 bands I LOVE on this bill!!

Holy shit, Im in Heaven.

You got your high last year, and this year I get mine! Woo hoo!

DrumRman said:
Not me, I am so fuckin happy!

8 out of 10 bands I LOVE on this bill!!

Holy shit, Im in Heaven.

You got your high last year, and this year I get mine! Woo hoo!
AMEN DrumRman! I am not dissapointed in the least bit. With concert promotion comes politics. I am sure Glenn busted ass to get this line-up and kept it at Earth Link.:headbang:

Everyone has their favorites. You can't make everyone happy, and I don't envy Glenn. I would have been elated had Iced Earth headlined. However, I am real happy with this line-up. I totally dig Vanden Plas, SX, Evergrey, Pagan's Mind and Mercenary. It's will be a joy to hear Corey and Zack sing for their respective bands (who I have to check out). And it will be fun to hear Tarja sing as well.

GZ

Haunted Eclipse said:
AMEN DrumRman! I am not dissapointed in the least bit. With concert promotion comes politics. I am sure Glenn busted ass to get this line-up and kept it at Earth Link.:headbang:

Indeed Glenn has surpassed expectations. Rage, Vanden Plas and Nightwish all premiiring in the US!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to pick Jim Raggi's mind about his sponsered act Mercenary!

PhantomLord said:
Hey guys,

I just saw the lineup, and have to say... I'm utterly disappointed.

Last year was my first ProgPower show. I drove 10+ hours from Indiana to get there, and it was probably the best concert I've ever been too. Blind Guardian, Angra, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Pain Of Salvation. *drools from thinking about it*

It was obvious that this years show would pale in comparison, but ever since ProgPower III, when Jon Schaffer and Richard Christy (whom I talked too) were there, it seemed a given IE would be at ProgPower IV. I would say, the last 4 or 5 months, everyone I know was 99% certain Iced Earth would be at ProgPower, but I still had my doubts.

I decided that, if IE indeed was at PPIV, I would go, and if not, it would depend on the lineup. I have to say, this lineup does absolutely NOTHING for me. Symphony X is eh, and Evergrey sounded okay from what we heard between sets last year, but I'm not about to shell out several hundred dollars for a lineup that I feel is not good in any way.

I'm still completely shocked that IE isn't there, and even more shocked that Ion Vein isn't. I thought they were a lock, but I guess not.

To all you going, have fun. The show is a blast, but this year, I just can't justify spending money when I don't like a single band on the list. I hope you'll be mature enough not to flame me for my opinion, but I guess think of it this way... This means 3 or 4 extra tickets that I won't be buying now, that you guys can get. :D:D

One more thing... Glenn - You do an amazing job man. I'm sorry that I won't be going this year, but hey, you can't please everyone. Keep up the great work, and hopefully I'll see you guys all at ProgPower V.

Agreed. With all the rumors about Iced Earth and Stratovarius I was definately getting ready to start my travel plans now, but I'm not so sure anymore. Granted, I still might wind up going because my girlfriend might wanna see Nightwish and Symphony X is my favorite band. Even tho I'll have seen them 6 times by this saturday, I have a feeling they might play The Odyssey at Progpower :D. But besides that, Ive seen them so many times its not enough of a draw for me to travel all the way to Atlanta just to see them. Which is why I was hoping they wouldnt do PP4 so they would have a chance of appearing at PP5 with any of the rediculously amazing bands that were at PP3 (Angra, Edguy, Pain of Salvation, Blind Guardian, etc). And believe me I would murder people to see SyX play a fest with Angra, let alone PoS and Edguy also (givin BG's sporadic album releases, even tho I love em I doubt they'll be back so soon).

And yeah, its not Glenn's fault, and I hate to sound like a whiny bitch after all the hard work he puts into these fests and also considering its the ONLY progressive and power metal fest in the US. But you know, like PhantomLord said, you can't please em all.

Nope I couldn't be happier. Now I get to see some bands once again I never thought I would see. I am so glad VP is getting a chance to play again!!!When you have bands like Sym X and Evegrey, Rage and Nightwish, how could you go wrong!! I think it may be the best fest yet!!!

I know there will be no problems selling tickets for this badboy.

Bear

NP: Soilwork - Departure Plan

Not to flame or disrespect, but why would you be so stuck on Iced Earth being there? I mean, it's not exactly hard to catch that band on tour. I would have been disappointed to see an Iced Earth or Nevermore on the list. Nothing against those bands personally, but good grief, I would MUCH rather have this opportunity to check out bands I haven't been fortunate enough to see yet--not bands that constantly tour the US as it is.
Just my $.02.

Matt

Bear said:
Nope I couldn't be happier. Now I get to see some bands once again I never thought I would see. I am so glad VP is getting a chance to play again!!!When you have bands like Sym X and Evegrey, Rage and Nightwish, how could you go wrong!! I think it may be the best fest yet!!!

I know there will be no problems selling tickets for this badboy.

Bear

NP: Soilwork - Departure Plan

BTW Bear, I am really looking forward to seeing you again.....dinner with Angra rocked last year!

Everyone has their opinions, and yours is certainly welcome. If you like Iced Earth that much, I can understand why you would be so disappointed.

I really like Iced Earth and Jon, but I haven't really been listening to them lately. I don't think there's anything wrong with the new music--it's wonderful. But understand, I've been just recently getting into Evergrey, Nightwish (OMG) and Symphony X.

Needless to say, I'm extremely happy with the lineup. I've said this before on these forums, but it's worth repeating: It's much more fun when you don't know ALL the bands. I know & love the headliners--so that's the big draw to get me on a plane headed for Atlanta. But half the fun is all the *other* bands that I'm not familiar with.

One final thing: I said before that I would find a way to see Nightwish live, but I didn't know how. Well, NOW I KNOW. Thank you Glenn.

--S

rhavin2112 said:
BTW Bear, I am really looking forward to seeing you again.....dinner with Angra rocked last year!

Totally bro!!! it will rock. We still have 6 months man Ahhhhhhhh the anticipation is going to kill me LOL

Bear

*sigh*
Yeah, I am one of those few who are a little disappointed. First I was worried that Atlanta wouldn't have the show. I was relieved to see that it remains here at least one more year. And with all the rumours on the boards of bands like Iced Earth, Stratovarius, and Therion possibly attending, I was getting very excited myself. I mean, what could possibly top the debut on American soil of Blind Guardian and Gamma Ray!?

not this...

Nightwish... one reason I would pay the money for a regular ticket and go this year. But not enough reason on their own.

Rage... I've heard their stuff years ago. Wasn't impressed with them then.

Symphony X... great band, great show at PPII. Been there, done that.

Evergrey... ditto.

Vanden Plas... are you sure with war looming on the horizon, they won't cancel on us again?

The remaining bands... I have no clue. I will check out their web pages and sample their material. But it's not going to be enough for me. I was disappointed in some of the lesser known bands at PPIII, but I gave them a chance. They still didn't impress me.

So with a less than stellar line-up, I'll have to step aside and let some of these bands' true fans see the show. I'll just have to miss out on Nightwish until they hopefully return to America someday.

Everyone have a great time! Glenn, as always, keep up the great work! Maybe I'll see you at PPV. I'm sure you won't have any problems with selling this one out. I'll just have to keep wishing for Therion and the like.

Take care and STAY TRUE!!!

~Hoyt.

WEll this year is prog heavy and my disspointment comes from the draw of teh bands.. last year BG, GR, and Agnra were all stadium players in their turfs.. this year only night wish is. The rest of the bands are club players at best.

Not commenting on the quality of the music at all. Just in terms of the size of the bands. No little bands i think are cool either. last year edguy and silent force this year no one really. secret sphere is kinda cool, but still really small. Thats all.

btw RAGE is one of my allt iem faves.. so i do get to see 3 great bands again. But i was realyl hoping for Helloween, strato, or even iced earth myself. Iced earth is VERY hard to catch on tour. they never play near me. I saw them several year ago in LA and that was it.
And really i feel Soilwork or Dark TRaquillity or expecially Children of Bodom would have been better picks for the rough vocalled band.

I am not knocking glenn at all. Just my feelings on this lineup. I personally wonder if this show will sell out actually. But i hope it does for glenn.

PhantomLord: Dude, you live in Indiana, so does Iced Earth. They tour the midwest all the time. You can see them many, many times if you want to without driving to Atlanta. Sure I like Iced Earth, but it just doesn't make sense for Glenn to book many bands that tour the US all the time. He's gotta book bands that you can ONLY see at PPUSA to keep it a special event that people must attend.

Sure this isn't the lineup I would pick, but every single person wants a slightly different lineup. Glenn has to pull everyone's opinions together and come up with a lineup that most people will like.

Guy

I need to clarify something...

The only reason I mentioned Iced Earth is because they were HEAVILY rumored to be at PPIV... They are one of my favorite bands, but I've seen them live 5 times already. I guess what I meant is, if ANY of the bands I love was there, I'd go, but since IE was in the 'spotlight' of the rumors, I just figured "Noone else I like would be there this year, so it has to be them."

I was right... Noone I like is at PPIV. Last year, I only knew and liked Blind Guardian and Gamma Ray, but that was plenty reason for me to go. I fell in LOVE with Angra and Edguy, and I really dig Pain Of Salvation now as well.

Sadly, not liking a single band this year (that I've heard), I'm not even considering it. Last year, I barely knew any of the bands, but loved it. I went for BG, and got a pleasant suprise. This year, there's NOONE I'm going to see, so it's not worth it, especially since I don't really care for the bands I HAVE heard from the ProgPowerIV list.

You can never fully satisfy anyone when it comes to a festival. There will always be a band or two (if not more) that you are either not familiar with or just simply don't like. With that said, if you are fan of the genre in general, you can't go wrong with this festival. Actually, until the Brave Words festival, this was the only festival in the US where you could see bands like Angra, Nightwish, Gamma Ray, etc..

I am a power, progressive metal fan, and sure this wouldn't have been the lineup I would have chosen if i had any say, but it still kicks ass. You know what's great about this year? Now Glenn can really outdo himself next year in terms of larger scale bands. Here is my lineup for next year:

Helloween
Stratovarius
Labyrinth
Sonata Arctica
Shaman
Elegy
Human Fortress
Empty Tremor
Tad Morose
Stygma IV

It's never to early to throw your favorites out there!!!

nightwish58 said:
You can never fully satisfy anyone when it comes to a festival. There will always be a band or two (if not more) that you are either not familiar with or just simply don't like. With that said, if you are fan of the genre in general, you can't go wrong with this festival. Actually, until the Brave Words festival, this was the only festival in the US where you could see bands like Angra, Nightwish, Gamma Ray, etc..

I am a power, progressive metal fan, and sure this wouldn't have been the lineup I would have chosen if i had any say, but it still kicks ass. You know what's great about this year? Now Glenn can really outdo himself next year in terms of larger scale bands. Here is my lineup for next year:

Helloween
Stratovarius
Labyrinth
Sonata Arctica
Shaman
Elegy
Human Fortress
Empty Tremor
Tad Morose
Stygma IV

It's never to early to throw your favorites out there!!!

I WISH .....

You people whine too much. I haven't heard one song from any of these bands, and I'm still going. I'm going to have a good time, and get out of my daily routine for a few days.If you don't like the bands or aren't familiar with them, big shit. There is more to metal festivals than the bands that are performing.

Eh, after checking out some of the bands that will be playing I might go after all. Nightwish, SyX, and Evergrey are great bands and Im sure the others will put on good shows too. Depends if I can find someone to go with or not :p