Feelings on this year's upcoming show

Thats what I was looking for. I don't want anything else other than a bed really. Looking for a Motel6(up here in NY) or a Super8 which sounds the same as a motel6..its around 40 a night probaly? And are they reserved, or can be?

Not only CAN they be, but you should probably find one close to the venue and book it TODAY. The hotels sell out REALLY quickly, and though inevitibly people drop, you dont want to rely on that.

And ACID: I agree with the "Whine about the line-up" thread. that'd be AWESOME. hahaha.

I will 100% agree that if one band makes a difference on whether you attend or not, you probably should not be there anyway

It's a headliner. It's a 90-120 minute chunk of the show. When you plan such an expensive trip, you take into account just how much music that you like you are getting. In order to make up for a headliner you don't like you need two bands you love in the lower slots. We all decide whether to go or not based on different criteria, but I'd imagine that who the headliners are is a rather significant factor.

It is certainly true that you can't please everyone, but this is a 3-time attendee here. We all love how you put your ass on the line for us and take risks, but as you yourself have admitted, sometimes it doesn't work. This could very well be one of those times.

Well I don't agree there. Im a high school student, I want to attend this concert and whatnot. Its going to take around 44 hours of a bus ride t here and back, 400ish dollars to the show with hotel, bus rides and food and all the merch I would buy. If you can understand the financial situation I don't see how you could still say that.

i see where your coming from cos i, too, am still in highschool, and still wont be able to drive alone before this years PP.

however, i cant see myself not going for 1 band. now i have heard of AF, but never heard them. i would glady give them a chance being Mark Jansen was in AF, and i absolutely love his work with Epica. there are bands im not fond of or dont like, but really i think its still worth it. especially for us this young- never really got the chance to experience stuff like this before...and, this is just a great gift IMO.

last year was my first, and i must say i cant see myself missing if i like at least 3 of the bands, which i doubt will ever happen. especially cos basically all of the bands that have played, and those to play, are those i never have gotten the chance to see, and probably wouldnt anytime soon if it wasn't for this festival.

It is 90 minute chunk out of an 11 hour show. If the remaining 9 1/2 other hours don't make the festival good enough for you, then I do not see the sense in making the trip anyway. You are better off spending your money on what you want...a true headline tour stop as opposed to a festival where the talent is spread more evenly.

If the economics and ticket buyers continue to work, then I will always spread the wealth instead of going back to the headliner/opener formula you prefer. Your pessimism about the lineup is fine. Your definition of not working and mine are on two different levels though.

Be careful what you say about PP4, it was TEH BEST SHOW I've ever seen in my LIFE. ;)

You didn't catch his/her drift. I think it was not a gripe against PP4, but a whine about the lack of Nightwish in this year's lineup. :cry: Do we really still need to whine about that after having read the "How it all went down this year" thread?

My heart bleeds tears for everyone who feels ripped off due to the lineup of an event for which they have not even bought a ticket, but seriously, get over yourselves. :loco:

You didn't catch his/her drift. I think it was not a gripe against PP4, but a whine about the lack of Nightwish in this year's lineup. :cry: Do we really still need to whine about that after having read the "How it all went down this year" thread?

My heart bleeds tears for everyone who feels ripped off due to the lineup of an event for which they have not even bought a ticket, but seriously, get over yourselves. :loco:

He actually might be refering to the Rage effect...:zombie:

But that won't happen to AF... They are too awwesome...:headbang:

And yeah! Get over yourselves ya cheeky bastards!! :lol:

Sure, I'd have loved to see NW play this year. But, I get to see AF instead...still great! And not only that, NW is going to do a NA tour, so I still get to see NW! How anyone can complain about not seeing NW and not want to go to PPVIII because of that, simply doesn't make sense, unless you never get tours in your state and that was the only reason for you to go. And who the hell made a promise that Glenn would book any one person's favorite lineup/headliners each year? Not even sponsors get that guarantee, unless their band is picked and they cough up a lot of cash. Damn some people are fucking spoiled here. I'm glad for this fest whether or not I like the headliners. There are always other bands that are on the roster that I like or love to see! Plus, there's some cool people that I only get to see when I'm there. Unless Glenn books Yanni and Kenny G as the headliners with some opening whiny pussy-assed Emo bands, I'll be there every year until it shuts down! :headbang:

Sure, I'd have loved to see NW play this year. But, I get to see AF instead...still great! And not only that, NW is going to do a NA tour, so I still get to see NW! How anyone can complain about not seeing NW and not want to go to PPVIII because of that, simply doesn't make sense, unless you never get tours in your state and that was the only reason for you to go. And who the hell made a promise that Glenn would book any one person's favorite lineup/headliners each year? Not even sponsors get that guarantee, unless their band is picked and they cough up a lot of cash. Damn some people are fucking spoiled here. I'm glad for this fest whether or not I like the headliners. There are always other bands that are on the roster that I like or love to see! Plus, there's some cool people that I only get to see when I'm there. Unless Glenn books Yanni and Kenny G as the headliners with some opening whiny pussy-assed Emo bands, I'll be there every year until it shuts down! :headbang:

Couldnt have said it better myself, minus the part about not going because you only wanted to see Nightwish because you are bound to like at least one other band if you go not to mention all of the awesome people you meet.

Couldnt have said it better myself, minus the part about not going because you only wanted to see Nightwish because you are bound to like at least one other band if you go not to mention all of the awesome people you meet.
Thanks. But, I guess you missed this part:
There are always other bands that are on the roster that I like or love to see! Plus, there's some cool people that I only get to see when I'm there.

Thats what I was looking for. I don't want anything else other than a bed really. Looking for a Motel6(up here in NY) or a Super8 which sounds the same as a motel6..its around 40 a night probaly? And are they reserved, or can be?

checked yesterday super 8 is $79 a night and rooms are available

checked yesterday super 8 is $79 a night and rooms are available

80 a night? wow. What comes with it? O_O I just want a bed and a TV at most. damn...lol

Anyone wanna bunk up? :D

edit-

Thanks! I forgot that, I might have a friend whos getting a hotel deal and I might crash on his floor for free but I hope I hear something soon before its to late and I get no rooms..

Generally, I need at least 3 bands on the roster that appeal to me in order to justify going, one of them being a headliner or at least one of the top 4. Unfortunately this year leaves me with much to desire, so I'm skipping out this time. This is partially due to my lack of interest and partially a financial reason since I'm graduating in August and will soon be a broke journalist. I know this festival is so much more than just another concert, and it saddens me that I won't get to see all my wonderful friends that I might not otherwise see for another year. That being said, I have a hard time passing up Freak Kitchen and am toying with the idea of just going to the Showcase and spending the weekend in Florida visiting my boyfriend's sister who recently moved there. It's too early to tell right now, but we shall see.

Well, given that this will be my third show (I & VII) - and I've not hear AF - I'm willing to bet that they will be simply amazing - because Glenn has not let me down yet.

I have yet to see a band I've not heard of before at a PP show, and not be amazed.

Of course, I've yet to see a band at a PP that I've not found out about on the forum, bought every cd they've done, and then bought the t-shirt - simply because I've heard of them at the PP forum!! :)

Thank you!!!

Personally, I think the linup is very promising. I have no complaints about either headliner. :) I'm not familiar with alot of the bands at this year's fest, but I'm looking forward to hearing some stuff I haven't heard before.

And of course, I'm quite excited about attending my first ProgPower ever! I honestly never thought I'd get to go. :) So to the original poster: I do believe avoiding a fest for one band is silly. Even if you aren't familiar with a band, it doesn't hurt to check them out. And honestly, why would you want to miss the ProgPower experience? I can't fathom wanting to miss out because of one band only.

I wasn't really all that psyched for this years line up at all, though LOVED two years ago with ANGRA! Last year was pretty great as well.

Sonata and Threshold I like, and would have loved Within Temptation, or Nightwish, but After Forever is a very good band, are awesome live from what I can tell from videos I've seen, and it actually makes me want to go more this year.

I was actually thinking of not going before that because most of the bands I didn't care for. I think After Forever was the ONLY band (so far that we still have two more slots to fill) that balanced out the line up a bit, which I think came about from not using the board at all to make the judgements on which bands will be on the line up. I don't know abot you, but that was a big let down for me.

With that in mind, because of that actually, I feel this year is missing that sort of balanced melodic excellence with top of the notch technicality and high range vocals that you'd get with Angra (though I don't really care for the new album), Epica, Circus Maximus, Pyramaze, Within Temptation etc.. You had that last year ( Epica, Circus Maximus, Pyramaze, Vision Divine, Mercenary, Zero Hour), and the year before (Angra, Circus Maximus, Therion, Stratovarius, PinK Cream, Orphan Land was very melodic and unique and a wonderful choice)..but not so much this year. Another way to say it is that there was that mind blowing awe in the previous shows, but this year..eh. Thank you though for adding After Forever and Threshold. Maks it worthwhile. Sonata is a great band as well and Raintime seems cool.

Personally, I'm not exactly jumping for joy about this years' lineup but you can't win them all. I'll still be there. I'll give every band a listen. Hopefully, one or two of these groups I'm not familiar with will end up in my cd collection.