Feelings on this year's upcoming show

Personally, I'm not exactly jumping for joy about this years' lineup but you can't win them all. I'll still be there.

helps that you're local, doesn't it? ;)

I was actually considering not going this year... with the exception of Virgin Steele, there's not a single band on the roster that I'm interested in seeing, that I haven't already seen, and with the hotel situation, plus that fact that some of my closest friends aren't going this year, there are a lot of things I could do with that money... but in the end, I'll probably cave in and go, because I love the event, and I enjoy seeing my friends every year.

Still... it would help if I was local. ;) Regardless, the final showcase announcement will likely have some bearing on whether I go or not.

Still... it would help if I was local. Regardless, the final showcase announcement will likely have some bearing on whether I go or not.

I don't know why, and I know this puzzles Glenn, but it does seem that one or two bands can make the difference.

I wonder if it's psychological, with the announcing of bands one at a time. It seems to make each band seem more important, for better or worse. I know that I was pretty excited until After Forever was announced, and then it just let all the air out. But when I think about it, it's stupid of me to feel that way. Glenn's right, it is just one band and there are 11 hours of other bands that I do like.

I'll probably be skipping out on this year's fest as well. The only band on there I really want to see is Pagan's Mind, and I'm not gonna pay all that money for one band. In my opinion, every power metal band on the bill is pretty generic and unimpressive. The prog bands are all fairly solid but nothing to write home about (excluding Pagan's Mind). In short, it seems like a really bland show this year. That said, I'd have gone anyway just to see Nightwish, but After Forever, while good, is a pretty weak replacement.

I'll probably be skipping out on this year's fest as well. The only band on there I really want to see is Pagan's Mind, and I'm not gonna pay all that money for one band. In my opinion, every power metal band on the bill is pretty generic and unimpressive. The prog bands are all fairly solid but nothing to write home about (excluding Pagan's Mind). In short, it seems like a really bland show this year. That said, I'd have gone anyway just to see Nightwish, but After Forever, while good, is a pretty weak replacement.

oh christ stop cryin

Poor baby.:cry:

Scuse me, Vanden Plas is nothing to write home about? Threshold is nothing to write home about!!!!!!!!!!Freak Kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ray Alder & Redemption!!!!!!!!!!!

Hold me back, I am going to blow a gasket!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Wait is this better :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Bear :lol::lol::lol::p:p:p:p

Wow, next time I post I'll remember how unwelcome dissenting opinions are around here. Those of you that think that this "poor baby" should just "stop cryin" should learn to respect the opinions of others and find something better to do than to amplify and make fun of a person's mild disappointment. But then again, this is an internet forum...

And in response to Bear's comment, since I'm local, I will be heading into Atlanta to see Vanden Plas and Freak Kitchen at the showcase. I wasn't considering those bands in my thoughts about the main show line-up.

Wow, next time I post I'll remember how unwelcome dissenting opinions are around here. Those of you that think that this "poor baby" should just "stop cryin" should learn to respect the opinions of others and find something better to do than to amplify and make fun of a person's mild disappointment. But then again, this is an internet forum...

And in response to Bear's comment, since I'm local, I will be heading into Atlanta to see Vanden Plas and Freak Kitchen at the showcase. I wasn't considering those bands in my thoughts about the main show line-up.

I completely disagree with your assessment of this year's fest; however, I totally support your right to post your opinion on the matter. Sadly, the Glennophiles have once again proven they abide no dissent.

i love yanni and kenny g :(
D'OH! Sorry if I offended you, but I figured those were good examples of what would be diametrically opposite of metal, hence genres like New Age and Smooth Jazz. But, you get a lot of respect in my book, since you have Tribal Tech in your banner! That reminds me, I need to catch up on them, I haven't bought one of their albums in years!

I completely disagree with your assessment of this year's fest; however, I totally support your right to post your opinion on the matter. Sadly, the Glennophiles have once again proven they abide no dissent.

I agree with that 100%, not only for Kinslayer but, for the others as well, that expressed dissatisfaction with the lineup. I can't agree with their tastes or rationales, but they should be able to state them w/o being torn a new asshole. Just say you don't agree and why and perhaps, show them another way to look at things. Respect their freedom of speech/opinions, as you would want them to respect yours.

If I were to have had the same or a similar situation, as has happened to them, happen to me, i.e. let's say PoS was Sat's headliner. Even though I'm not a PoS fan it wouldn't deter me in the slightest from going, because there are still 4 other great bands that I'd want to see during the main fest. 4 is still enough for me, short of there being a more important or even a serious emergency situation that I would need to allocate the money to. Plus, there's the Showcase too. Not only that, but I factor in the "surprise factor". Slot's #1 & #2 of Fri and Sat are bands that I know little to nothing about. I may get into one or more of them before PP, as I check out their material. One or more of them might kick my ass while at PP. These instances have happened to me before. Not to mention there's the rest of the PP experience, as I've stated before.

You guys do see the freaking EMOTICONS right?
I did. I knew not to take it seriously, but there were 3 or 4 others who were serious, so maybe they were talking about them.

You guys do see the freaking EMOTICONS right?

You mean the emoticons where you seemingly symbolize him crying about the lineup? Or the emoticons seemingly symbolizing you laughing at the fact that he may be crying?

See how easily that can be misinterpreted?

Now, here's my eyeroll emoticon to you. :rolleyes: Need interpretation? :heh:

...I believe you guys are quite lucky to have such a festival in your country !

I would come even if that meant taking a few days off; most anticipated would be Pagan's Mind, I'm sure they will surprise most of those who don't know them and make it worth the price... and unfortunately I also suppose they'll dwarf Sonata Arctica, which I've seen twice on stage and disappointed me maybe because they're still young and sort of lack maturity, charism and presence imho (actually got slightly bored about SA from 3rd album too...).

Threshold would be my second best, never seen them but given their longevity I'm pretty sure they know how to behave live.

Recently discovered Redemption and Firewind, both should do well on stage (Firewind's Gus G and Apollo are not newcomers).

After Forever may bring a smile of contempt on many faces and leave a good impression despite the debate above. Dunno.

Dunno either about less prog groups Virgin Steele, Primal Fear or Freak Kitchen.

My main regret would be that Andromeda has NEVER been invited to ProgPower. Can't stop playing their stuff and you all should give a chance to their albums !!!

I won't be there in Atlanta but I will console myself by seeing Angra and Firewind next month in Paris !

D'OH! Sorry if I offended you, but I figured those were good examples of what would be diametrically opposite of metal, hence genres like New Age and Smooth Jazz. But, you get a lot of respect in my book, since you have Tribal Tech in your banner! That reminds me, I need to catch up on them, I haven't bought one of their albums in years!

haha no offense was taken

and yep, tribal tech is frickin incredible, scott henderson is a guitar legend in my book.

Dunno either about less prog groups Virgin Steele, Primal Fear or Freak Kitchen.

i cant say anything for virgin steele, i only have around 2 or 3 cds at the moment, all of which are just kinda boring but im in the process of getting more

primal fears music seems PERFECT for a show like this, its like seeing judas priest if they made tons of cds similar to pain killer

and freak kitchen was the best band out of both of the prog powers i have been to, if anyone has ANY doubts about trying to make the showcase, let me tell you first hand, these guys know how to put on a show and have alot of fun on stage!

damn id like to see circus maximus again, i didnt catch the pre party last year, and they destroyed faces at pp6