Female Vocals: Which do you prefer?

'Ethereal' or 'Earthy/Sensual' female vocals?

• Ethereal

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Earthy/Sensual

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

Siren

Dec 6, 2001
Do you prefer 'ethereal' female vocals or more 'earthy/sensual' ones?

However, if your idea of 'the perfect' female vocals isn't covered by the above options, feel free to describe your preferences.

Cheers,
Siren :)

:D i don't really get what your poll suggestions intend to sound like, so i'll better describe. i like the vox of the gathering a lot, she has quite a variety of tonations to offer, and that makes it interesting. i like parts like in older theatre of tragedy with soprano voice, but not all the time. the same goes with female shouting. it's in the mix

I know I wasn't clear enough but it's hard for me to describe :D

An example of 'ethereal' vocals would be in Dark Tranquillity's Through Ebony Archways or even Liv Kristine's vocals and an example of more 'earthy' would be on Dark Tranquillity's Insanity's Crescendo.
Hope that helps a bit :D

Hmmm.. well.. I really like Liv's vocals. I guess it depends on my mood. The truth is that I love all female vocals, as long as they're "good". I can't define that "good" part, I just know it's "good" (or "bad") when I listen to it..

I don't like the fake operatic vocals. Most of the girls doing them know nothing about opera, and it shows. And I don't like the "ethereal" vocals either -- usually means they're singing too high for their range.

Give me strong, mid-range vocals anytime. It lowers the tendency for cheese. (Cristina Scabbia, Anneke)

I can;t stand the gothy vocals that are so popular in symphonic BM these days, and in the theatrical death/doom/goth metal realms. I like the more operatic female vox, like Nightwish, Aghora, Alas, etc. And Opera IX, Arch Enemy, and Sinister, hehe.

Those are the only female vox I'm big on...

I can't really describe my fvox preferences. But they have to be able to sing well. Martina (I think that's her name) from Alas is always just a little bit off the note, and it drives me nuts. But I like Mr. Rutan's work enough to suffer through it.

Other fvox I like:
3rd and the Mortal - Tears Laid in Earth
Arch Enemy
Thorr's Hammer :headbang:
Drain S.T.H. - among the best I've ever heard
Cia Hedmark (Otyg)
Theatre of Tragedy
Tears of Odin's Fallen. I love Altos.
Candice Night of Blackmore's Night (I only have an album, but it's great).
Michelle Loose off of the Brave EP, but not on Before an Audience of Stars.
The Gathering
Cristina Scabbia - Fucking glorious work.
Left Hand Solution - Both of their vocalists
Rain Fell Within - Some parts aren't that great, but overall it's good.
Tarja of Nightwish. Love that Operatic stuff that few do well. But it took me a while to get into it.

fvox I don't like:
The aforementioned Martina
Somnus
Karen Crisis

Indiferent:
Kim Goss (Even though she went to my high school)
Maudlin of the Well - but they aren't used often enough.

Originally posted by The Nomad
Michelle Loose off of the Brave EP, but not on Before an Audience of Stars.
Rain Fell Within - Some parts aren't that great, but overall it's good.
Both are local bands that I'm familiar with. Glad to see Brave has found its way to you!

I love Michelle's vocals, but HATE Dawn's. I think Dawn is just disgusting in every possible way. And every single time I've seen her (about 1,537 to be exact, hehe) they mike her up ridiculously loud and no matter where I hide in the club I can't get away from her god-awful screeching. And it's a shame too, because I like some of the music, but I've never heard her hit a note accurately. Ugh.

OK, I'll try not to hide my feelings next time. haha :lol:

right now i only remember i like:

Kinthia (Astarte)
Cadaveria (Opera IX, but she left :cry: )
Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy)
Björk
Rose McDowall (Current 93)
Cia Hedmark (Otyg & Vintersorg)

Dani Filth... he's got the best female voice around... :D

Same goes for the dude in Overkill... god he's got a high pitched voice... *imitates* : Hooooorrrroooorrrrscope!!

:D

ha ha.

Originally posted by Trapped
Dani Filth... he's got the best female voice around... :D

Same goes for the dude in Overkill... god he's got a high pitched voice... *imitates* : Hooooorrrroooorrrrscope!!

ha ha.
What about John Cyrris from Agent Steel?

Purty voice!! LOL

I like both of the first 2 options, each can be good at different times. Each adds depth and feeling to the accompanying music.
I'd be agreeing with TheMIndzI in that I just know when it's good, and when it's not, and I agree with Lina in not liking failed attempts at decent operatic singing.

Can't say I remember the last time I heard female shouting vocals, it doesn't really sound enticing...but you never know until you try.
I haven't heard much of the afforementioned bands, so I will go with the ones I do know:

Falling You - Not a metal band, but still has kick-arse female vocals that can be ethereal/ephemeral and soothing/sensual.
American band on www.mp3.com

Arcana - Pagan choir/operatic vocals. Fits the music perfectly

Dead Can Dance - I don't like Lisa's voice all the time, but sometimes she can add a trascendent touch to the soothing music.

Delerium - In their later years, they went through quite a lot of female vocalists, Sarah McLachlan would be my pick (apparently an accomplish folk singer as well)

Vespertina + Louisa John-Krol - Female folk vocals really do something for me. I find them a good mix, not overly ethereal while also not overly sensual, but totally relaxing.

Tristania + Within Temptation - Have only recently heard some of their stuff, I like the choir effects and the ethereal vocals.

I've listened in the past (metal and non-metal) to the likes of:

Lita Ford
Guano Apes
Shakira (brand new to me)
Tracy Bonham
Crisis (Karyn Crisis)
4 Non Blondes
Blondie
Poe
Alanis Morissette
Eden's Crush (had to throw that one in)
Drain STH
..and a slew of other pop/rock/country (yes-honorable mention to Faith Hill)

I'm just getting into the real metal female fronted bands.

I'll add a few more to my list:

Within Temptation - She's hauntingly beautiful.

Vibeke - Stunning

Liv Kristine - Ditto

Mandy Moore - NOT typical pop shit; mature on this CD. Great range and tone.

Doro - The voice of female heavy metal

Shirley Manson - Awesome.

Deborah Harry - Likewise.

Arise From Thorns - Great voice for mediocre band.

Tarja - Enough said.

Just a few more.