Female Vocals: Which do you prefer?

'Ethereal' or 'Earthy/Sensual' female vocals?

• Ethereal

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Earthy/Sensual

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters
I'm quite a big fan of the female vocalists mentioned in this thread(Sharon, Floor, Cristina, Tarja, Vibeke, Liv Kristine, Anneke) but recently I checked out the latest Sinergy album, which was quite a different experience (nice for a change... somehow reminded me of Doro in Warlock though :) )

Chalk up another for Michelle Loose from Arise from Thorns/Brave (the same band, name change) - I like her vocals just as much form both records (Before an Audience of Stars, and Waist Deep in Dark Waters EP), myself.

Aside from her though (and I'm biased towards her here because AFT/Brave are such a lesser known band), it's all about Tarja. She kicks ass on so many levels...

Yes, she's great. But nobody mentioned the woman (...forgot her name...) from LEFT HAND SOLUTION and Synne Soprana from (r.i.p)IN THE WOODS. Another great exampla of female vocal skills is Emma Hellström from THE PROVANANCE...

The moaning ones.

love.gif

Anneke, Scabbia, Kay Hanley (Letters to Cleo, an excellent rock band, now sadly broken up), but yeah, in terms of favorites, i have three words for you...

angela. fucking. gossow.

ethereal vocals of course...years ago i used to like rock/pop type stuff like Tori Amos and The Gathering, but got tired of it after awhile.

More like:

Diamanda Galas (she's freakin' madwoman!)

Yasnaia from the Belgian tribal band Hybryds

Rose McDowall (Current 93/Sorrow/Coil)

Liz Fraser (Cocateau Twins/This Mortal Coil)

Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance).

Groups like Massive Attack and Black Tape For a Blue Girl use a ton of guest female vocalists on their records.

Also, ambient chill-out music by guys like Steve Roach, Vidna Obmana, and Vir Unis tends to have a lot of ethereal female vocal samples in the longer compositions.

Eartheal vs Earthy? And You expect us to not get confused? Horrible options. My three favorite female vocalists are Lisa Gerrad (Dead Can Dance), Tori Amos and Fiona Apple. They all have very different voices so I can't say I have a perticular style preferance...