Finally heard AGALLOCH

The way that The Mantle flows better as a single piece than Pale Folklore which is ultimately more song based than The Mantle makes me appreciate it more. Every song on it has its purpose and by taking out any single song the album loses its magic. It is essentially my perfect album.

I'd go The Mantle > Pale Folklore => Ashes Against The Grain, though all of the albums are certainly at least 9/10 in quality.

Yeah, I think they are all great, great albums. I even love most of their other releases, like Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor and From Which of This Oak. I'm not too big on the Grey EP though.

I think it says a lot that there doesn't seem to be any sort of universal agreement about which Agalloch album is the best. "Ashes Against the Grain" was by far the best thing I heard last year, and basically the album I've always been wanting them to make. The previous two had their incredibly strong moments but were unfortunately burdened by bad production, the occasional silly moment, and perhaps a 'lil bit too much of the superflous strummy acoustic bits.

Which Agalloch album is best? :erk: That's like trying to decide which of your children you like best (well, maybe not exactly...:loco:)

What I'm saying is that you really can't go wrong with any of them. I never thought they would outdo The Mantle, but then they released Ashes and it seems they are just getting better and better. This is a great new band for anyone to discover. Their shit is so earthy...you can almost feel yourself standing in the waves, or walking through the woods.

My advice to anyone asking about Agalloch would be to buy EVERY album and listen to them in order non-stop. You won't be disappointed. Hmm, kinda sounds like what I told a friend about nd a little while ago :heh:

Oh, and don't even attempt to label Agalloch...their music doesn't fit into any specific genre, really. Sure as hell can't call them black metal!

Agalloch is great. They are from Portland, which is very close to where I live. Nice to see some actually good bands coming from Oregon.

I like all their albums, but listen most to Ashes Against The Grain. Great band, i feel honoured that i've seen them here in Europe with Novembers Doom.

There's a large difference between "Hey dudes. I found this awesome band. Let's talk about it" and "Hails to thee peeplz!!!! CHECK OUT MY BAND'S MYSPACE! LOOK AT OUR WEBSITE! BUY OUR SHIT!!!! THIS IS MY FIRST AND LAST POST HERE!" Something tells me ND realizes that and you're not in danger of being banned.

We just had a vote about their strongest album over in the Non-Opeth Music Chat forum (it's a subforum of the official "Opeth" forum) if anyone cares. The Mantle is decimating the other two atm.

i don't care about the opeth forum anymore. people there are complete idiots.

that said i'd love to talk more about other bands. in fact, The End is great. I am now listening to my new unexpecT CD. I've been hooked for over a month. This CD is utter BRILLIANCE!!!!!!!! anybody else knows it?

There are two bands in extreme metal that really get under my skin ... one is AGALLOCH and the other is NILE ... can't explain "why" on Agalloch but I find Nile to be a bunch of phonies ...
see my diatribes on the Royal Carnage forum :loco:

There are two bands in extreme metal that really get under my skin ... the other is NILE ...I find Nile to be a bunch of phonies ... see my diatribes on the Royal Carnage forum :loco:

I understand. I mean, they aren't Egyptian and haven't even been to Egypt, so, uh, what? :loco:

Love Agalloch, though. They're one of my favorite bands and AAtG was my #1 pick of last year.

Agalloch seems to be one of those bands people love or hate. I don't see many people in between.
Ill be the in between dude...
I love The Mantle and Ashes Against The Grain, but I find Pale Folklore to be just O.K., and their Ep's to be boring. Recently seen the Not Unlike The Waves video and im loving Ashes even more since

Really? Funny thing is, I've always felt like a majority of people tend to view us as being "just okay". Thankfully we've seen a few diehards over the years and that rules. But on the whole the vibe I get from alot of the metal fans out there is they think "ND are a decent band, not the greatest, just okay".