Finnish Metal...

Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Koorpiklaani, Amorphis, Strato, HIM,Thunderstone, COB, Kenziner, Lordi, To/Die/For, Kotipelto, Warmen, Rasmus, Kalmah, Ajattara, Shape of Despair, Apocalyptica, Machine Men, Norther, Lullacry, Poisonblack, Finntroll, Wintersun...

I'm from hungary...

OH yeah, Shape of Despair. Very good doom/death metal. My girlfriend loves the gothic, moody atmospheric metal, especially Shape of Despair. Their first album has a cold feel to it.:heh:

Children of Bodom are one of my favorite bands of all time, and unlike most Bodom fans I meet, I think their best albums have been their last 3, and I have high hopes for Blooddrunk. Besides them, I don't really listen to much Finnish metal aside from the occasional Finntroll, although the first Wintersun album was pretty cool.

Insomnium - Above The Weeping World owns

YES!! The whole album, just like the last album, from beginning to end, not a weak track. Bands like Opeth, Insomnium, and SX keep the flame of good metal music burning brightly. :kickass:

I have never heard this band everyone is calling "bro metal", but just by that categorization I know I want to steer very clear away from it.

Just for a quick explanation of bro metal:

"Bro Metal" is the kind of metal you hear and imagine the main fanbase being high school / college age jocks with short hair and backwards baseball caps who look like they use too many steroids and greet everyone with "Sup Bro?". Then they try to do that full body headbang with no hair and their hat still on, then they want to start a "wicked pit dawg". Also, they think Linkin Park and St. Anger is pretty badass.

True story: i actually knew a guy who thought St. Anger was one of the best, heaviest albums he ever heard.

Yeah, I know what bro's are, that is why I knew I wanted to steer away from music categorized as "bro metal" lol!

I know they aren't exactly the same, but bro's are like the "preps" of today. I don't know about bro metal but I know a typical bro band would be something like Fall Out Boy. I also know that a lot of bro's are characterized in the videogame world as casual Nintendo fanboys who think Super Smash Brothers is like the best thing since sliced bread.

A lot of "high fiveing"...right? If you play Sx for these guys, they start stuttering, when trying to say it's not as good as said bro-metal band.

i would think bro's are more the Madden crowd

lol.....that is probably true as well!

And on the point about bro's trying to play off a band like SyX as not that great, I was reminded of something that really gets my blood boiling. I hate when I see some kids playing Guitar Hero trying to play some damn DragonForce song like they are so great and godly. I try and tell them that playing DragonForce on Guitar Hero is probably like 3 times harder than actually playing it on a real guitar. They just look at me oddly because they probably can't stand to think that they spent way more time learning it on GH than it would have taken them to learn to really play it...

Just for a quick explanation of bro metal:

"Bro Metal" is the kind of metal you hear and imagine the main fanbase being high school / college age jocks with short hair and backwards baseball caps who look like they use too many steroids and greet everyone with "Sup Bro?". Then they try to do that full body headbang with no hair and their hat still on, then they want to start a "wicked pit dawg". Also, they think Linkin Park and St. Anger is pretty badass.

I've come to embrace the presence of this demographic(to a degree) at metal shows, for one reason. Certain people like to assume this strange sense of ownership/entitlement to a particular band or metal genre. You'll know these folks by their constant usage of phrases like, "they're not true fans," or "where were these fans back in 2001 when 'band x' played at 'insert name of tiny hole in the wall venue.'"

Basically, what I'm saying is that to see some of these alleged "true fans" getting all worked up because someone who doesn't look/act like them is at "their" show enjoying "their" band... it truly warms my heart.

I've come to embrace the presence of this demographic(to a degree) at metal shows, for one reason. Certain people like to assume this strange sense of ownership/entitlement to a particular band or metal genre. You'll know these folks by their constant usage of phrases like, "they're not true fans," or "where were these fans back in 2001 when 'band x' played at 'insert name of tiny hole in the wall venue.'"

Basically, what I'm saying is that to see some of these alleged "true fans" getting all worked up because someone who doesn't look/act like them is at "their" show enjoying "their" band... it truly warms my heart.

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding. I'm not talking about bro's at metal shows... that's fine. I'm talking about bro metal... also known as "jump da fuck up" metal... different from nu-metal but same idea. Simplistic, accessable, agressive, and overall just shitty.

The only time i get irritated with bro's at metal shows is when they literally ruin a show (or try to ruin a show). On two occasions i've almost gotten in fights, once because a dude wasn't watching where he was pittin' and punched me (accident sure, but this among many other things just about made me lose it) and the other was when i was trying to stand up front against the stage and headbang while watching a band and this dude decided i was in his way and literally tried to force me out of my spot, and when i wouldn't he started elbowing me in the back of the head. THAT is when i say they're false and are only there for the aggression, not for the music. I'm not going on an anti-pit tirade, just saying the people who don't understand time and place need to fuck right off.