Finnish Metal...

Don't taze me bro metal!

-Scandinavia has the best melodic metal bands (the seemingly endless wave of new Bodom bands is finally starting to die down, thank god)
-USA has the best prog rock/metal bands
-Germany has the best cheesy bands (don't get me wrong, I like cheese)

All in all, Finland has a few great bands, but a lot of boring mainstream metal as well.

Don't anyone forget that music is, essentially, competing! :cool: I'm still waiting for the day Metal is accepted into the Olympic Games.

The last twenty years have been pretty quiet in terms of new bands emerging to the scene.

So suddenly that's what counts? New bands? Not the amount of good bands in total? I'm sorry but you're wrong. Not only did England come up with the genre, they have shitloads more excellent prog rock bands than USA.

Edit: Progessive Metal bands could very well be more and better from the US, even though I prefer english and other european in that genre aswell.

I wasn't being that serious about this, Phanto. Personally, I may even like the old English prog rock groups better (namely King Crimson and Camel), but at the end of the day, there's really no point in trying to pin point a certain country that produces the best bands. As you pointed out, there are so many different criteria to base one's views that it's really pointless.

Whoa! That was a lot of pointing! Generalization is fun, but ultimately irrelevant.
@Wander: It would be also fun to hear all the different "Metal Anthems" :headbang: I reckon Manowar would be strong candidate for England.

King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Yes, early Genesis, Van Der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Gryphon, Marillion and Camel. I'd say that's a pretty fucken clear winner of best prog rock bands.

I just reacted to the whole thing with prog rock from US being the best, otherwise I agree that it's pretty hard to pin point a country as being the "best" in a genre. Except for prog and England. ;)

I wasn't being that serious about this, Phanto. Personally, I may even like the old English prog rock groups better (namely King Crimson and Camel), but at the end of the day, there's really no point in trying to pin point a certain country that produces the best bands. As you pointed out, there are so many different criteria to base one's views that it's really pointless.

Whoa! That was a lot of pointing! Generalization is fun, but ultimately irrelevant.
@Wander: It would be also fun to hear all the different "Metal Anthems" :headbang: I reckon Manowar would be strong candidate for England.

Manowar is from the States. Their affinity towards England is due to the fact that many of them first met in England. But they're from the states. One of the few things us Americans got right :D :headbang:

^Yeah, and the funny thing is that they are MUCH more popular in Europe than they are in U.S.

...Well, I guess that is the same for many of the good American metal bands like Symphony X too...

Manowar is from the States. Their affinity towards England is due to the fact that many of them first met in England. But they're from the states. One of the few things us Americans got right :D :headbang:

Yeah, I knew that :cool:. I was talking about Metal Anthems and, of course, referring to the song Hail to England.

@Phanto :lol: Agreed, England truly pioneered the genre. Still, bands like Kansas and Rush, or their more metallic followers, are very awesome, too.

EDIT: And before anyone comments, I'm talking about North America and I know Rush is from Canada. :lol:

Yeah, I knew that :cool:. I was talking about Metal Anthems and, of course, referring to the song Hail to England.

@Phanto :lol: Agreed, England truly pioneered the genre. Still, bands like Kansas and Rush, or their more metallic followers, are very awesome, too.

EDIT: And before anyone comments, I'm talking about North America and I know Rush is from Canada. :lol:

Yeah, but did you know that Kansas are actually from Kansas!

Iced Earth is a big example of being big in Europe. I remember when they just put out their second album, and in our metal store Aces Records(TAMPA) they were looking for a drummer. They were at odds with what was going on here at the time, (early 90's)with all the death metal bands. England the last 20 years.....My Dying Bride, Anathema, Carcass, Bruce Dickinson, Cathedral, PORCUPINE TREE. Napalm Death is still relevant. And to say that the Finnish bands sound like Children of Bodom? Almost every Finnish metal band mentioned here don't even come close to sounding like them.

You must listen to only COB, Nightwish, Stratovarious, and Sonata Arctica....not all Finnish bands depend predominantly on keyboards. But you're a SX fan? Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, Rapture, and Farmakon either don't or barely use ketboards...just to name a few.

You must listen to only COB, Nightwish, Stratovarious, and Sonata Arctica....not all Finnish bands depend predominantly on keyboards. But you're a SX fan? Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, Rapture, and Farmakon either don't or barely use ketboards...just to name a few.

Never heard of those bands. Will check them out, thanks.

Top 20-30 sellers, or popular 20-30? If so, no thanks. But I'll probably check it out anyway....I'm always curious anyway. Thank you!