First Metal Album

jimbobhickville

Tyrant in Distress
What was the first metal album y'all heard (I mean real metal album, not stuff like Def Leppard or Journey or whatever you listened to before)? You know, the one where you instantly said, "What the hell have I been missing?"

For me, it was Anthrax "I'm the Man". I was at my friend Sam's house in 1988, and he handed me his walkman and told me to listen to it. I thought, "Anthrax, that sounds cool". Well, ever since I've been hooked on metal. At first, I only liked Thrash, but I've since diversified my taste a bit and like most forms of metal to some degree or another (excluding Nu-Metal of course).

Anyone else care to share their "conversion" experiences?

Ufffff (again)

That would be difficult to remember but I think while I was listen to Bon Jovi, Warrant, Kiss, Def Leppard, Poison and Stuff (At the age of 11) a guy who lives in the same neighboorhood put in my hands a Cassette that said 'El numero de la Bestia' that is the translation for 'The number of the Beast', to shorten the story the next year for my birthday I already have 'Piece of Mind' (Acto de Locura), 'Killers' (Asesinos), Live After Death (They don't translate that one), Powerslave (Esclavo del Poder) & Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (El septimo hijo de un septimo hijo). All in Chilean Cassette format THAT SUCKS at the time (No picture of the band, no lyrics, low quality of sound, etc...)

Te year after that (1990 I guess) No prayer for the Dying was released and I bought it instantly the first time I saw it on a record dealer but at that time I was listen to Death Metal & Thrash Already:heh:

It was about 6 years ago... my first metal album was Korn's debut. You know... a few years before anyone knew who the hell they were. It was decent, but it wasn't ever my favorite.

I guess after that would be a couple of Type O Negative albums...

And then Amorphis's Tales from the Thousand Lakes.

Well, I my father was signed up to Columbia House ( the cd company where you get 7 free, but have to buy like 6 more over 2 years....). So he was joined up, and Iwanted to get some tapes for free (note, I didn't have a CD player. Was years ago, and I had just started to be interested in music....).

So I signed up, and ordered a bunch of crap(i didn't listen to music at the time), so I ordered The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air's albums, and some Bill Cosby stuff (all stuff I knew from TV:rolleyes: ).

Just by chance, Skid Row happened to be the selcetion of the month at the time (selection of the month is automatically sent to you unless you specify you don't want it, and I was unaware of that), so Slave to the Grind came to me with the rest of the crap. In the Columbia House ordering booklet, it was marked to have explicit lyrics. When it came, my mother noticed this and told me that Explicit lyrics meant that it was music that made people kill themselves:lol:

Being young and naieve, I thought that if I listened to it, I would kill myself automatically, so I wouldn't listen, haha! Eventually I began to question how music could make someone do something like that, and it made no sense how simply listening to music could make someone kill themself. So the curiousity finally got to me about two months later.......So I asked my mother if I could listen to the Skid Row Album.

She must have forgoteen about what she had said earlier, since she said "I don't care, it's your CD!". So I listened to it, and was absolutely blown away! There has never been, and never will be a nother moment like that in my life. I didn't think such music could possibly exist. Slave To The Grind was the heaviest thing I had ever heard, and It blew me away! I listened to it endlessly (and whenever my parents came into my room, I'd shut it off, afraid they'd think I was crazy! haha...)

So Slave to The grind Was my first metal album (despite being raised on alice cooper-thanks Dad!). And if you don't think that album is metal, your head is up your ass! :loco:

Probably around 95 I got Pantera-Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power at the same time after hearing a few songs off of Far Beyond Driven at a relatives house. That started me off in the right direction I guess, to bad Pantera can't still sound like CFH its their only good album! Anyway then I got into White Zombie, Sepultura, etc.

And Slave to the Grind is definately metal!

Originally posted by metalized
hahaha. Right dude. not metal at all!!!:lol: :lol:

I don't recall asking what you all thought about it, it was an answer to a question. Just because you don't like nu-metal (And I can't really say I care for it in general either at this point) doesn't mean it isn't metal. There *was* a time when they were too heavy to get airplay, you know.

Next thing you know, people will be saying the same thing when someone responds "My first metal album was by cradle of filth!" Mark my words.

Let me see...it was "Fear of the Dark" - Iron Maiden!
I heard it in class and it was a great experience,...this teacher almost kicked me out of class! :heh:

I'm not very sure what was THE first, but the first that stunned me was Amorphis' Tales from the Thousand Lakes. However it must have been among the first five metalrecords I've heard. I adored Black Winter Day from the very first listening and I still like that song. And of course I still like the whole album, but not as much as then.

I'd had popular, mainstream metal CDs, but it wasn't till I bought The Crown's Deathrace King that I really got psyched about metal and promptly dove right into the metal "underground."

Methinks it was Maiden's Live After Death back in 1986, when I was a young lad, 10 years of age. No funny story to go with it, unfortunately :)

some people dont consider it a 'true metal album' but i first heard metallicas black album in i think it was 92. and that was it. aroudn the same time i was hearing Nirvarna, and yes they were 'grunge' but it was one heck of a starting point. the first cds i owned were The black album, Nevermind and 'ALice whats the matter' ( terrorvision) on single! .

At this point id already also had my father obsessing over the likes of sabbath and Think lizzy for 12 or 13 years so i guess the earliest i remeber are the classics. What a great dad!!!!!!