First online Ghost Reveries review.

OK guys you're nice teaching me how to do...
To be honest, our website is now running for 5 years, we've got about 5000 daily unique visitors and to tell the truth, if we were so bad, I don't think so many people would come to read our reviews.
So maybe we can think french speaking people are a little bit more requiring than others.

You want a cool review for your brain. Let's go !

"hu hu good album. Excellent one. Waou great guitars and synths. It rocks. yeah.
Opeth great hu hu ! "Ghost of Perdition" with some clean tribal bridges hu hu cool ! Then some prog rock parts à-la Porcupine Tree on "Beneath the Mire" hu hu good. But Opeth still sounds heavy as rock. hu hu gooooood...etc
Metal is great, I live for it and Opeth is the soundtrack of my life"

OK ? Enough for you ???

I didn't write the concerned review, but it's someone of my staff. So I don't protect my work but the idea we have of how we work. We work for requiring people. If you don't fit this case, please go elsewhere and don't spit on us.

And YES we listened many many times to the album. Do you want a photo of the watermarked CD I have ? Please, don't be so stupid boys...

oh my god. it's so cool to jump on the bandwagon and mock this guy's review which I can't even read in my native language. I have nothing better to do in my life than making the same point others have made before simply because it's so cool to insult other people! Ha! The actual reviewer is here too! I can affirm my existence further by baiting him! Wow I'm so rad.

damiomen said:
french is my main language also, and this reviews sucks. it's not a real review at all, it's just intelectual masturbation. the guy is more interested in reading the so intelligent and poetic sentences that he just wrote, than writing an actual review of the album... lame.

BUCKETOPETH IS THE GREATEST IDEA EVER

Wow. Nikö is the cliche of an arrogant frenchman. If you speak german, I recommend checking out www.babayblaue-seiten.de . There you can see how reviews should be done. They usually take their time to describe every song on an album. I'll be looking forward to their review of Ghost reveries.

Longinus said:
Wow. Nikö is the cliche of an arrogant frenchman. If you speak german, I recommend checking out www.babayblaue-seiten.de . There you can see how reviews should be done. They usually take their time to describe every song on an album. I'll be looking forward to their review of Ghost reveries.

He is not arrogant, he just defends his work. Some aggressive reactions on this board are arrogant. It's just a review...

And I repeat, there's not only one way to write reviews. To review an album song by song is a method, but it's not the only one, hopefully...

Look at this review of Angizia 's 39 Jahre für den Leierkastenmann album (piece of art) (you won't understand it, it 's also in French... :Smug: ), it's IMO one of the best ever, it describes perfectly the fellings and the emotions of the album reviewed, without pointing each song one by one...

Longinus said:
I recommend checking out www.babayblaue-seiten.de
Actually I think their review will suck, like too many reviews of albums that aren't from the 70s. Just look at most of the Deadwing reviews there. Or the DT ones. It's not jsut the ratings, it's the reasons for the ratings that are ridiculous.

But if you want good german reviews for Yes, King Crimson, Genesis etc., there you go.

Nikö Obsküre said:
OK guys you're nice teaching me how to do...
To be honest, our website is now running for 5 years, we've got about 5000 daily unique visitors and to tell the truth, if we were so bad, I don't think so many people would come to read our reviews.
So maybe we can think french speaking people are a little bit more requiring than others.

You want a cool review for your brain. Let's go !

"hu hu good album. Excellent one. Waou great guitars and synths. It rocks. yeah.
Opeth great hu hu ! "Ghost of Perdition" with some clean tribal bridges hu hu cool ! Then some prog rock parts à-la Porcupine Tree on "Beneath the Mire" hu hu good. But Opeth still sounds heavy as rock. hu hu gooooood...etc
Metal is great, I live for it and Opeth is the soundtrack of my life"

OK ? Enough for you ???

I didn't write the concerned review, but it's someone of my staff. So I don't protect my work but the idea we have of how we work. We work for requiring people. If you don't fit this case, please go elsewhere and don't spit on us.

And YES we listened many many times to the album. Do you want a photo of the watermarked CD I have ? Please, don't be so stupid boys...

Just 'cause you have 5000 visitors a day doesnt mean this perticular review is good. Sounds like you take this way too personal, we arent attacking your site dude.

Its not the worst review in the world. But what did you expect from this place? This is an Opeth-forum, everyone here knows how Opeth sounds, its the first review of the new album, of course the people here want every little bit of information that can be said about it, we want this thing reviewed second by second.

And what is this shit you talk about french people requiring more? Thats so dumb. More fancy words maybe...
If its anything we are complaining about here its the lack of information about the album, so who are the ones requiring more here?

edit: And btw, this isnt the obskure-forum so dont tell us to go someplace else, if you put your work online you better be prepared that people will judge it.

He is not arrogant, he just defends his work. Some aggressive reactions on this board are arrogant. It's just a review...

It's not his review (but he's an idiot for defending it)
We all anticipate GR a LOT and when, for the first time a review coems around, we want more facts than "it's great". Who cares wthetehr the reviewer likes it, I mgiht hate it. I want to know what GR resembles like or if it resembles nothing and is pure originality and somethign we've never heard.

And I repeat, there's not only one way to write reviews. To review an album song by song is a method, but it's not the only one, hopefully...

Who cares what feelings the reviewer thinks are conveyed? Subjectivity shouldn#t have anything dto do with reviews. it only comes in handy if you know your taste is very similar to the reviewer's.

Look at this review of Angizia 's 39 Jahre für den Leierkastenmann album (piece of art) (you won't understand it, it 's also in French... ), it's IMO one of the best ever, it describes perfectly the fellings and the emotions of the album reviewed, without pointing each song one by one...

Oh yeah, that's no help.

Actually I think their review will suck, like too many reviews of albums that aren't from the 70s. Just look at most of the Deadwing reviews there. Or the DT ones. It's not jsut the ratings, it's the reasons for the ratings that are ridiculous.

Ratings don't matter nor do the reasons. Compare those reviews to that french PoS.

And I'm pretty sure the GR review will be alright. Their reviews of the Wilson Opeth albums are good.

We all anticipate GR a LOT and when, for the first time a review coems around, we want more facts than "it's great". Who cares wthetehr the reviewer likes it, I mgiht hate it. I want to know what GR resembles like or if it resembles nothing and is pure originality and somethign we've never heard.

It's clearly written in the review that this record is not really original, for an Opeth album (yet it's still excellent) : Opeth décline de nouveau tous les ingrédients qui font du résultat de son écriture un spectacle des plus ahurissant

Who cares what feelings the reviewer thinks are conveyed? Subjectivity shouldn#t have anything dto do with reviews. it only comes in handy if you know your taste is very similar to the reviewer's.

I think it's quite impossible to be completely subjective talking about music... Tell me one objective thing about music or about Opeth, and I'll find 10's of objective people saying exactly the opposite :)
Anyway, I don't think any review could tell me how much I'm going to love this record... I'm just waiting for end of August ;)

An objective thing about music?

Sikth's skies of millennium night is in 4/4. There. Or PoS' BE is an album with more than 10 different music styles on it. Or, Martin Lopez uses the double bass (insert number here times). If you act like an idiot, let me act like one too.

It's clearly written in the review that this record is not really original, for an Opeth album (yet it's still excellent) : Opeth décline de nouveau tous les ingrédients qui font du résultat de son écriture un spectacle des plus ahurissant

Oh yeah, maybe go more in depth about it?!

Well, I think Chaostar told words of wisdom.

To conclude on my side, I did not ask anyone to copy our review of GR on this board.
What I told in my post was not for you to go eslewhere from here, but do not read our site if you think our reviews don't fit your standards.

And yes, we are not aiming to Opeth fanbase with this review.
We absolutely know that Opeth fans will buy the album, whatever anyone can say. Our goal is to make people who don't know the band (they are some, yes) listen to GR, which is for us an excellent album, which could be a perfect entry point in Opeth discography.
Not a drastic change withthis release but a mature synthesis of what Opeth is able to do.

We give our opinion, not the absolute truth about GR.
I think you'll find much better reviews later for you. Track by track, in depth analysis and so one.

So that's for it.

END...

French is my first language and I can make sense of the review.

So yeah, it's pretty much sparing on technical facts, but in fact I'm pretty glad at least some reviews won't stick to the all you need to know about "Ghost Reverie" scheme that 90% of the upcoming reviews will turn out to be. I mean, track-by-tracks are all right, but I want to see something else as well, and this review is fairly decent at that, well-written and in no way pseudo-intellectual grub.

Nikö Obsküre said:
To conclude on my side, I did not ask anyone to copy our review of GR on this board.
What I told in my post was not for you to go eslewhere from here, but do not read our site if you think our reviews don't fit your standards.

It doesnt matter if we copied/linked it to this board or not.
Since you published it, we can go to your site, read the review, then come back here and bitch all we want about it. This forum is a for everyone to talk about whatever opeth-related things we want. But then you come here and tell us that we cant criticize your work, or that we shouldnt read the review if we dont like it? Dude, you made it public!!!
I would agree with you if this took place on the obskure-forum, but it isnt.

Imo, you are the one that should leave this board if you cant take criticizm.

Like i said, if you put your work online you better be ready for people to have opinions about it.

Ellestin said:
It's amazing how quickly album reviews turn into review reviews :tickled:

Its funny how reviewers/critics work with having opinions about other musicians work, but they cant take if someone doesnt like their little review.