Floaty Ambient Music

FUBAR

Sep 19, 2004
UK
Does anyone know of any interesting artists that make this kind of music?

I've heard PT's Voyage 34 and Devin Townsends Devlab and Project EKO, I'd love to hear more of this kind of electronic ambient style.

any recommendations?

Global Communication - 76:14
Biosphere - Substrata
Love Spirals Downward - Flux
Synaesthesia - Ephemeral

Assuming you mean peaceful floaty ambient. There's also the creepy kind. But the above albums are all quite relaxing.

Raison D'etre - The Empty Hallows (by far the best ambient album I've yet heard)
Kammarheit - The Starwheel

To a degree Blut Aus Nord's 'Thematic Emanation of Archetypcal Multiplicity' is also an ambient release.

I would put Raison D'Etre and Blut Aus Nord's ambientish stuff under 'creepy' though. They're not exactly peaceful. But, if you're looking for darker and creepier ambient:

Arecibo
Atricum Carceri
Black Lung
Coil (not all of their stuff is strictly ambient though)
Desiderii Marginis
Lustmord
Herbst9
Raison D'Etre (their other albums)
Robert Rich
Thomas Köner

Pethical said:
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Seconded. You might also want to try some 3rd and the Mortal, the last two Burzum releases (highly recommended) and especially the last Ulver album. All excellent works.

If you're going for GYBE! (which is more post-rock than ambient) I also recommend Explosions in the Sky and Mono (from Japan, not the UK triphop band).

Can't get into the floaty stuff. Theres electronic music that destroys. Like Dargaard, and ear-GENITALS

air - virgin suicides soundtrack
aphex twin - selected ambient works, vol.2 :D
craig armstrong - the space between us
sigur ros - ()
mercan dede - sufi dreams (hard to find abroad, but you might pick up anything by this guy if you are into sufism even just a little)
mogwai - rock action
john abercrombie - animato
hooverphonic - a new stereophonic sound spectacular
howie b - folk
jan garbarek - i took up the runes
philip glass - dracula =)
vidna obmana - spore

Yeah I forgot to mention I like Ulver, their music is always superb. Cheers for the recomendations got alot to check out!