Floaty Ambient Music

Here's a style of music I've always been trying to get into but have never known any artists... I don't really know what the 'genre' is called per-se, but I've always called it 'lounge music'.

It consists of smooth bass guitar, rhodes piano, strings (either synth or real) and also various triangle and sometimes synth effects. It's just really good to chill out to.

The closest thing I've managed to find is Portishead... but they're hardly ambient music.

sounds cool moonlapse...

reminds me kinda of pre-fusion jazz, like miles davis' in a silent way. cept theres a big fat trumpet thrown in there :)

are there any drums in this 'genre'?

:kickass:

Moonlapse said:
Here's a style of music I've always been trying to get into but have never known any artists... I don't really know what the 'genre' is called per-se, but I've always called it 'lounge music'.

It consists of smooth bass guitar, rhodes piano, strings (either synth or real) and also various triangle and sometimes synth effects. It's just really good to chill out to.

The closest thing I've managed to find is Portishead... but they're hardly ambient music.

Goblin.

Sigur Ros - Takk is some good "floaty" ambiance.

Otherwise, check out Tor Lundvall's new release.

Or you could always play a soft rock song through a processor with the reverb and delay turned up all the way. ^_^

Mr. Josey Wales said:
sounds cool moonlapse...

reminds me kinda of pre-fusion jazz, like miles davis' in a silent way. cept theres a big fat trumpet thrown in there :)

are there any drums in this 'genre'?

:kickass:

Yeah, the rhythm section is usually electronic, trip-hop-ish at times.

Moonlapse said:

thievery corporation

all you need, moonlapse =)

I actually just noticed the version of the Oddjobs album that Amazon has there actually has lyrics. The one I have is all instrumental.

Yeah.....I was thinking Sigur Ros right when I read this....seems like a bullseye for this request. Others:

Boards of Canada - Campfire Headphase (the newer one)
Savath & Savalas - Folk Songs for Trains, Trees and Honey
and Autechre has made a career of various ambient electronic, more hit or miss though.

Moonlapse......probably not exactly what you're looking for, a little more song-oriented, but check out Charlie Hunter's Pound for Pound album "Return of the Candyman". Just Charlie (guitar/bass) and a vibrophone player. That's what I thought of when I read yours.

I managed to get a hold of some Thievery Corporation. Whilst it sounds like some really great music, it isn't quite what I had in mind. Main thing was that I was reffering to strictly instrumental music. No vocals of any kind.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway, these guys are definitely a worthy listen.

Check out October Falls (albums: Tuoni and Marras). They're not electronic, instead they play this really good atmospheric acoustic i don't know what. Great music to listen to when it's raining. Pretty melodic as well.