Folk/Folk Rock Recommendations.

illidurit said:
god don't listen to these noobs and their D-grade folk metal recommendations
In case you were refering to The Third And The Mortal and Skumring, I didn´t state they were folk metal. (BTW, my recommendation of Skumring was only addressed at metal_wrath.)

Back on topic:
Triakel (pure Swedish folk music)
Fanfare Ciocarlia (speed brass from Romania)

np: Parissa & Ensemble Dastan - "Tasnif-e Ab-e zolal"

Nice recimendations, but im really interested in some eastern european folk music as ive heard some great music from there but dont have any names.

Sadguru said:
I don't know if it has been mentionned yet, but the Steve Von Till solo albums goes highly recommended.

Gonna go ahead and second (or third) this. He also recently released an album under the name Harvestman called Lashing the Rye which is also good. It's mainly instrumental and more experimental (or maybe "less straightforward" would be a better description) than his normal solo albums and goes more in the direction of ambience and krautrock-style noodling.

It's quite hypnotic. I like it.

I really like both of Steve Von Till's albums. His weathered voice sounds really good in that setting. I should find this Harvestman album now.

Here are some folk/folk rock I enjoy and can recommend:
June Tabor
Fairport Convention
John Renbourn
Bert Jansch
Gordon Lightfoot
Altan
Pearls Before Swine
Trees
Clannad
Josephine Foster
James Blackshaw
The Iditarod
Akron/Family
Bread Love and Dreams
Lothlorien
Karen Ashbrook
Fotheringay
Sandy Denny
Shirley Collins
Tara Jane O'Neil
Tim Buckley
Sunforest
Jen Cloher & The Endless Sea
Black Forest/Black Sea
Christiina Carter
Six Organs of Admittance
Brandan
Nick Castro & the young elders
The Zozo Sisters
L'engoulevent
Maneige
Cano
Ptarmigan
Olle Lindvall
Alban Faust
Amazing Blondel

Good Eastern European folk:
Dragoslav Pavle Aksentijevic
Sedmina

Some others:
Gary Higgins- Red Hash is the name of his only record he put out. "Higgins disappeared after Red Hash was released, first serving out his sentence (drug charges) and later marrying, having a child and spending his time as many of us do, making a living rather than pursuing his dreams." It wasn't until recently that his record was re-discovered, and he's played a couple of shows.
Devendra Banhart- I've seen him mentioned a couple of times on these boards. When I listen to him I sometimes feel like I'm listening to a haunted vinyl that I found in my grandparents basement or something. Some simple folk songs, sometimes mixed with sound effects, sometimes sounding like Daniel Johnston, and on his latest album going into other genres such as rock and gospel. good stuff!
Heron- I don't know what to say about these guys, because i've only heard one album by them, Upon Reflection: The Dawn Anthology. Pretty good pastoral folk, literally. the album was recorded outdoors and you can hear birds in the background. laid back stuff.
other favorites; Linda Perhacs, Vashti Bunyan, Nick Drake, Six Organs of Admittance, David Hess (yes, from Last House on the Left, the soundtrack has some pretty good tunes, though not all are folk), The Incredible String Band, Comus.
Recently I heard two good ones; Bon Iver http://www.myspace.com/boniver
and Samantha Crain http://www.myspace.com/samanthacrain
the stuff on their myspace page is enough to convince me to buy their albums, I'll definitely keep track of them.

Bluegrass is good stuff if you like banjos. The beginning of The Apostle In Triumph has somewhat blugrass elements.

Also, even though many people may say no (I don't really care), but Agalloch has lots of folk influence.

Also, I second, third, and forth Comus!!

I would recommend you stay the hell away from folk metal.

Skyclad is just embarrassing, and they're apparently 'pioneers'

^
I completely disagree with you Skyclad are one of the best bands, well not anymore since Martin Walkyier left. But they where amazing.
Eluveitie is also a good folk metal band.

Tau Emerald - if you are interested in dark, minimalist folk. It's very abstract, so it may not be your thing, less about songs than it is about eerie atmospheres.

Skallander - folk guitars colliding with shoegazing vocals and weird tape effects.

Fairport Convention - 60's folk rock with an emphasis on the folk.

Not all folk metal sucks. I dig the first two Ensiferum albums, Moonsorrow and Equilibrium for example.

Yes. That one has some really good songs, some really bad songs.
I agree. Some weak songs on there drag down some excellent ones - He Lays in the Reins will remain one of my favourite songs of recent years, and possibly Iron & Wine's best (though pretty much anything on The Shepherd's Dog can rival that, and The Trapeze Swinger).

A great folk album I've been loving recently is Bon Iver's "For Emma, Forever Ago", released last year. The album has such a relaxed, emotional feel to it. If there's anybody that hasn't heard it, I highly recommend it - one of the best folk rock albums of the year, along with Calexico's "Carried to Dust" and the self-titled Fleet Foxes debut.