For those who fail to recognize the power of Opeth

Originally posted by extensive desolation
there is a big gap between opeth and simple punk tune.
but you still haven't answered my question.
why opeth has this problem? There are tons of metal bands with music better than simplest punk tunes.

my take is there are a lot of bands with this problem. you just don't spam on those bands board so you didn't notice.
my take is also that opeth music is quite complex, peculiar enough and intricately woven. thus more ppl perhaps feel inclined to act superior about it.
i'm pretty sure, for instance, tons of blues singer have followers who think they're way up there. should they also presume that such amount of discussion can only come from their idols being special? only if they're annoyingly 6-y-o, or if they're trolls.
and btw, you didn't answered my question either: are you trolling here?

And I think that it takes more brainpower to enjoy classical music or Opeth (there aren't many metal bands comparable to classical music) than to enjoy hip-hop or the simplest punk tune.

i think not, and that you are biased by your own tastes in music.

You can shout around about political correctness and tolerance but it won't change the fact that there are a lot of emotions around Opeth music.

if you find emotions are not politically correct, you obviously lived on another planet for the last 20 years.

There always is a group of people who had metaphysical experiences and tells everybody around about them and the second group of people who hadn’t any and thinks that the former must be mad. (of course they are, aren’t they?)

did you know once i saw elvis in a chip? (random x-files quote)

rahvin.

And I think that it takes more brainpower to enjoy classical music or Opeth (there aren't many metal bands comparable to classical music) than to enjoy hip-hop or the simplest punk tune.

I´m no rocket scientist but I can enjoy classical music, what I merely need is a good chair and a nice set of headphones. :)

Y'know, this thread is weird. Thats because I am one of the Opeth type fanboys who has often said its intelligent music for intelligent people. I still stand by this view, because more often then not it IS more intelligent. But the intelligence of the music in no way indicates the intelligence of the person. U do not get smarter by listening to it, and the fact it is intelligent music does not make other music stupid.

My point: Opeth is intelligent music, elitism is ok, but its not ok when all the elitists are like: "we are smarter than you for liking this", the real hardcore Opeth fan would be as smart as the music itself and say "If its not for you its not for you, so be it, I'll just go have some caviar and a nice martini"

-or something like that.

Originally posted by rahvin

i think not, and that you are biased by your own tastes in music.

rahvin.

And I think you are biased by your opinion that everybody is biased by their musical tastes.
If you think that classical music and hip-hop are on the same creative level then there is noting more to talk about.

extensive desolation: Wake up and smell the bullshit... I appreciate that this may be hard as its all coming from you, but please, as by your own admission you are intelligent, use your brain for once on here.

Stop twisting people's words. Stop ignoring any questions that would seem to indicate people actually had valid reasons for talking out of your arse.

That, or get off the computer please because no one wants you here. And while your at it, hand in your testicles to someone else, because I don't want someone like you spreading your genes through my race.

Originally posted by Wanderingblade
That, or get off the computer please because no one wants you here. And while your at it, hand in your testicles to someone else, because I don't want someone like you spreading your genes through my race.

don't you worry.
I prefer sex with human beings and not dogs.
You can bark as much as you want or even piss around but that won’t help.

And I think you are biased by your opinion that everybody is biased by their musical tastes.
If you think that classical music and hip-hop are on the same creative level then there is noting more to talk about.

dont think all classical music is very very creative, a lot of everyone's favorite classical composers did nothing but following a set of rules, very constricting rules, on how to work melody, harmony, rhythm and structure. More modern acts can be amazing but some classical music can be really dull and artificial sounding.

Just like opeth on some of their tired tracks using the same tired formula.

Yes, because dogs use computers. Woof woof.

Ok... if Opeth are so great, then how comes they are using an unoriginal idea, have peddled the exact same formula three albums in a row and test so many people's boredom quotients?

Don't just say I'm wrong without a reason, because thats just proving my point.
Reasons. Facts. Not your opinion.

Originally posted by Static
Y'know, this thread is weird. Thats because I am one of the Opeth type fanboys who has often said its intelligent music for intelligent people. I still stand by this view, because more often then not it IS more intelligent. But the intelligence of the music in no way indicates the intelligence of the person. U do not get smarter by listening to it, and the fact it is intelligent music does not make other music stupid.

My point: Opeth is intelligent music, elitism is ok, but its not ok when all the elitists are like: "we are smarter than you for liking this", the real hardcore Opeth fan would be as smart as the music itself and say "If its not for you its not for you, so be it, I'll just go have some caviar and a nice martini"

-or something like that.

Well said. The Opeth forum has more intelligent people than your average Slipknot or Korn forum. Its just a fact. It doesn't mean all people who don't like Opeth are stupid though.

Ok... if Opeth are so great, then how comes they are using an unoriginal idea, have peddled the exact same formula three albums in a row and test so many people's boredom quotients?

This seems to be the arguement of choice among the anti-Opeth crowd, and I don't think it holds water. MAYH, SL, and BWP are three very different albums, each containing a number of progressive songs. How can you call a progressive song formulatic? Or are you calling the very act of making progressive music a formula? That's bullshit. Opeth is known for using a lot of quiet-loud contrasts in their songs, but outside of the first 2 albums, they rarely do it the exact same way twice. If you think Opeth is boring and formula based, I would LOVE to hear about some bands you think are NOT like this...

Thankyou! Someone who is actually prepared to argue this...

No, I don't believe the formulaic one either, but I really wanted to see someone of this forum actually get off their cloud and say what they think...

So far, in all these threads, I've found 3 fucking people prepared to actually use reasoned arguments.

*bows in respect*

Thankyou! Someone who is actually prepared to argue this...

No, I don't believe the formulaic one either, but I really wanted to see someone of this forum actually get off their cloud and say what they think...

So far, in all these threads, I've found 3 fucking people prepared to actually use reasoned arguments.

*bows in respect*

I'm sure no one really gives a crap whether you are impressed by their arguments or not...

...get the fuck over your huge ego! the mere fact you started arguing a point you didn't even believe, just to get a reaction, shows how spineless you really are... So far, in all these threads, I've only found one person as dumb as you are.

*flips the bird*

You should talk, with your equally-elitist crowd on the DT forum

"Oh, we're sooo much better than the Opeth forum...." :rolleyes:

Ofcourse, it's equally pathetic when the people here slag off the In Flames forum, or any other one....

actually, i tend to make fun of those who accuse the dt forum of going down the drain if it's starting to look like the opeth off-topic board. i still think the dt board as a whole mainly serves other purposes than the opeth off-topic, but i posted there too and i don't think of it as an ugly place at all.
but maybe i should refrain from posting on boards where accusations fly so freely.

rahvin.

Originally posted by rahvin
but maybe i should refrain from posting on boards where accusations fly so freely.
I dunno about that, maybe just enlighten some of your fellow forumers ;) (not that this place is great either, but I just got done reading the related thread on your board and felt something needed to be said- I'm sick of all this inter-forum bullshit. If people don't like a forum, they should keep it to themselves and stop reading it......)