Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Entry 07

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Entry 08

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine was number three - no shred, no harmonies, just goofing around with pentatonic and a little bit of diminished. Somehow, the guitar tone seemed more 'up front' in that one to my ears, but that's just me.

Jeff

hey guru, why are you out of town for biz, actually why do people need lives when you can play video games and guitar for a month and starve to death???
i don't get that :lol: :lol: :lol:
i believe guru is gonna give us an awesome track, he is the guru anyway

hey guys the next one is coming along ....

im sittin in sacramento between meetings right now and figured id throw you guys an update

Steve really put my mind to work on this one .... ha ha ha ha its not complicated its just in a key i've never written before. so .... gimme some time.

I may have to email steve-o for some tips on how to start this one out.

hey guys the next one is coming along ....

im sittin in sacramento between meetings right now and figured id throw you guys an update

Steve really put my mind to work on this one .... ha ha ha ha its not complicated its just in a key i've never written before. so .... gimme some time.

I may have to email steve-o for some tips on how to start this one out.

Hey Guru, you've got mail bro!:lol: :headbang:

We're back with the 5th Solo Competition everybody!

This backing track is in A Mixolydian, 80 bpm, and is set up to go briefly into the relative minor key, B minor. Chord progression for A Mix.= I-VII, chord progression for B Min.= I-III.

Here it is:
http://www.stevesmyth.com/Solo-Contest/5th/solocomp5.mp3

A Mixolydian is the 5th mode in the key of D major, the 7th mode in the key of B Minor, for those who aren't aware.

Bear in mind, as a result of common tones, there are many more scale choices than just A Mixolydian, though I don't want to give these away; half the fun in creating a solo is figuring out this stuff for yourself! So, jam away, and find what sounds best to you!

The idea here, with the simplicity in the backing track, is to allow everyone to set up a theme, and lay down a solo rich in melody, so let's hear it!

The rules for the competition will be a little different this time:

All entries must be received by Wednesday, April 11th at 1pm PST. Yes, we're giving you 2 weeks this time! Plenty of time to come up with something.

Please send you entries to: steve@stevesmyth.com Mp3 format, and preferably NOT LABELED WITH YOUR NAME! Instead, please label the mp3 5th solo competition. We reveal the winning entry's identity at the end of the vote.

After all entries have been received, we'll put them up, and we'll have a vote for the favorite solo. The poll will be up for one week this time, until April 18th, tentatively, barring any scheduling conflicts that may arise for me to get these up there on time.

Winner of this competition will have the opportunity to create the next backing track!

Allright everyone, that's it for now! SPREAD THE WORD! Let's get you regulars in here (and lurkers, ha ha!) in on the action, and hear what you got!

Best of luck to all who enter, looking forward to hearing all of you on this one!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

awesome i have something to do when i get home! yay im feeling like i can use my blues stuff on this one!!! i love playin the blues and this song has that feel...im excited

Sounds like itll be alot of fun! Hope I can work out how to record this awesome new JSX I picked up last week :headbang:

Goddamn you, bibz and your spending money...

*goes back to furiously tweaking Amplitube 2*

Anyway... the track is interesting. Not nearly enough distortion or speed for the usual, I might get away with a direct-in clean tone. Hmm...

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.