Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Entry 07

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Entry 08

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is in. A little late :lol: :lol:. I totally forgot that i had school this friday, and thought of recording it on friday, but i we had school on friday to make up for the snow days we had in november and january (yes it snowed in seattle). Also friday was my mom's birthday and was busy with that.
Steve, I think this competition should keep going, it is fun, and is good guitar education, but we should have some more n00b friendly backing tracks, but still interesting. Remember the second contest? an E/B minor bangyour head track in 4/4 got 12 entries.
Here is an idea starting the next one. We should do solo competition playoffs
Start with an easy track where everyone can participate. The first 4 move on, with the winner providing the backing track(a little harder track and he still gets to play). Then the first two go to the final, but the backing track is provided by one of the guys that got eliminated in the semifinal or by Steve. This track should be the hardest. Winner of this gets to do the next contests track, or winner gets to be photoshoped or somehting stupid :lol:
i will elaborate more on this after dinner.
To Be Continued....:lol:

Hey LOTS,

I hear you, but to have it that involved, I think people might lose interest. Dunno, need to hear feedback from more of you! Come on people!:lol: :headbang:

I'll try, but finals just ended last week and I've been setting up the DAW (Debian from scratch, yay!) since then so I'm not sure what'll come out (or when it'll come out)...

Jeff

Allright, well, we've got 3 entries now, and I'm still going to hold out for a few more here.

Sorry to hear some of you (Angel of Deaf, carvedones) don't have a way to record! If you guys check around here, I think some people have offered up some freeware solutions for this, maybe you guys can get in on the future ones!

If anyone needs setup and gear info, PM me. It's easier to get in on this than you'd think and I'll be glad to get anyone set up with a free (or cheap, if necessary) recording system.

Jeff

Here is the best idea of the century yet.
What about instead of writting solos for just backing tracks, why not for songs, and we provide a song with the main solo edited out. As far as I know it is impossible to extract the solo from an MP3, and be left with the backing track, so we chop out the whole solo part of the song and rerecord and program drums and bass for the part, edit the song back togheter and voila. Might not give the best results, but hey it is for fun. We can do songs from any band, any style. Just the winner decides the songs, and everyone helps with something for the song, winner can participate too. I have quite some ideas for what songs we could do. For example we could do 6 string Nevermore songs as not everyone has a 7 string, old school thrash songs, old school death metal, jazz songs. Songs that pop in my mind right now are next in line, passenger, this sacrament (might be a tough solo section), born, sentient6, psalm of lydia (not the intro:p), refuse/resist (easy and fun), territory, arise, born to darkness, first strike is deadly, over the wall, fight fire with fire, creeping death, blackened, damage inc, whatever jazz songs, lack of comprehension, the philosopher, nothing is everything.

what do you think people&Steve?

I'd like to see the forum try Take Five, that one's a bitch. Hell, if I win, I think we may just have to do that. Eat modals in 5/4, bitches.

I can probably nail guitars for whatever backing tracks we need and if we can find a drum MIDI (from, say, Guitar Pro) then I can take care of those - DKFH2 isn't the best, but I'm upgrading soon. This might even make a good thing of its own, completely separate from this, might as well give it a shot (pending approval from the one who will be hosting all of these ridiculous projects and storing the files away, of course) soon.

Jeff

I'd like to see the forum try Take Five, that one's a bitch. Hell, if I win, I think we may just have to do that. Eat modals in 5/4, bitches.

I can probably nail guitars for whatever backing tracks we need and if we can find a drum MIDI (from, say, Guitar Pro) then I can take care of those - DKFH2 isn't the best, but I'm upgrading soon. This might even make a good thing of its own, completely separate from this, might as well give it a shot (pending approval from the one who will be hosting all of these ridiculous projects and storing the files away, of course) soon.

Jeff
i can host them on my biology website server. Hell, if you want to run this competition separately of this, I can run it, you guys send me the shit, I upload it, we vote, and that is it. I assume this idea would be pretty interesting.

After Steve posts his opinion on this I will make a different thread for this if it is OK with him, or we can do this as a continuation of the solo competition, which is well, a solo competition, or we can run them both in parallel, but this one would be dedicatad to people with no life only aka us:lol:

We'll have the solos posted shortly, probably after one or two more came in.

If you don't have anything to plug into, get some good pickup lines and hope for the best.

Jeff

Honestly, it'll be cheaper to go for a good PCI interface if you're not afraid to pop open your computer and install it yourself. I'd go for either an M-Audio 1010LT (you can find them on eBay for $100-150, or just give up on looking and get a new one for $200 shipped) or a 2496 (under $100 on its own, but you'll need a separate preamp - prepare to either build one yourself or buy a good one for $50-100) - you'll keep using that same thing for a while, whereas Billy Bob's Fiddle Dongle will suck or cost too much (likely both)... if you go the soundcard route you'll get more versatility and flexibility, with better sound quality for the price. Unless you want to plunk down the coin for a Firepod, or just go POD/GT-8/whatever, you'll likely be disappointed with an external interface at a low ($200 and below) price.

Jeff

hey steve? what is happening with this competition, are you still waiting for more entries? drop us a line when you have time in this thread pls
BTW, which of you guys want to take part in the solo for a song competition post here so if we have enough people i will make a separate thread about it. I can host this on my biology website's server as we have so much space that never gets used and i'm the only one admining it.
If we do i suggest we start with something simple, fast and metal. I am thinking refuse/resist by sepultura or fight fire with fire by metallica for a begining, easy stuff to solo above, and as the context is important we can get good "mosh" solos out of ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.