Fredrik and Mattias leave Katatonia

I was pretty shocked too when I first hear the news, but perhaps this could usher in a new era for this band. They're due for their third birth. At any rate, Jonas and Anders at the helm will always ensure great music.

^ Finally someone I can agree with. Cos I don't mean to be disrespectful at all towards Mattias and Fredrik, but indeed, their influence on the last few albums was very little. I honestly don't think anyone will "notice" their absence on future albums.
It's not nearly as dramatic as some people make it out to be. Now, if Jonas or Anders left, that would be something else.

I must disagree, in no way you can judge the influence of an artist just by looking at the credits to the songs. The band is a 5 piece and they play each their part in the recording sessions, and they play together live as well for so many years. Of course great musicians have an impact in all of this, you just can't measure the amount of "input" because we look only at the final result...which was always great.

I must disagree, in no way you can judge the influence of an artist just by looking at the credits to the songs. The band is a 5 piece and they play each their part in the recording sessions, and they play together live as well for so many years. Of course great musicians have an impact in all of this, you just can't measure the amount of "input" because we look only at the final result...which was always great.

I totally agree. This is a sad day for me. :(

Sad to see members leave but I guess it wont make such a big difference when it comes to the music, as long as they decide to continue that is...

Two random thoughts.....anyone else find it a bit odd that Fredrik and Mattias are still on their Facebook, Myspace, Katatonia.com? I get that it's an amicable split and I'm not saying they should have immediately deleted any reference to them of course. Maybe it's just that I won't believe it 100% until that happens....silly I know. Secondly, I thought Jonas had mentioned in an interview last month that U.S. dates in the spring were very likely......dying for U.S. dates!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two random thoughts.....anyone else find it a bit odd that Fredrik and Mattias are still on their Facebook, Myspace, Katatonia.com? I get that it's an amicable split and I'm not saying they should have immediately deleted any reference to them of course. Maybe it's just that I won't believe it 100% until that happens....silly I know. Secondly, I thought Jonas had mentioned in an interview last month that U.S. dates in the spring were very likely......dying for U.S. dates!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's very normal for a band to still keep the former band member(s) listed on their sites for awhile, even after the band member(s) depart, or make the decision to split. I see it happen this way all the time. The Gathering, Kamelot, Sybreed, among many others did the same with band members that left. It appears too cold to delete them from the bands sites too quickly.

When a band like Katatonia starts becoming more and more successful, it can be a dilemma and add a lot of pressure to it's members. As we see with extended touring and such. The more successful a band becomes, or tries to become, the more involvement and time is required of it's members. And if some members don't get paid enough in the band to make their living from it, which most bands don't, (plus they don't want to leave behind family and jobs for longer periods) then it can easily cause a band member to become a departer. (yes, pun intended:)

Another thing too is that it appears Anders and Jonas can make their living with Katatonia or close to it, but that is likely not the case with the other 3 members. So what do they do? Either they go out on long tours with the band while leaving behind a stable job and family, or stay in the band and go on long tours not certain of whether or not they can make enough from the music long term to survive. It would be difficult to leave behind a regular job and family for long periods for something that may not be stable enough like music, or puts your job in jeopardy! Because, as a worker in a normal job (which most musicians have to have) it can be difficult and sometimes impossible to leave behind your job for a long concert tour without getting fired from your job!
So............

Many musicians leave behind their dream in trade for a practical life that they feel is safer and better for them. Can't say I blame them.

Just have to say that i have had the same thought as Pastor Digger.
Anders did say that he and Jonas can make a living on Katatonia somewhere after VE (i think it was),
and to be on tour 4,5 or 6 months without enough income to pay for rent might work when you are young, or perhaps living with someone,
but with kids in the picture youre priorities change pretty drasticly.. feed the kids is so much more important than anything else.

As a bonus conspiracy thought;
Really it was just one of the Norrmans that got pissed when he demanded more pay for touring,
And anders/Jonas said no.
Since they are brothers one of them decided to back the other one up, and they both protested by leaving theyre resignation.

let the rumorspreading begin :)

I was just wondering: who actually pays musicians on tour?
It's not a fixed salary, it's a combination of the revenue from merch sales and fees payed by the venues when they book the band. Everything/everyone has to be payed from this, including personnel, management etc. Sometimes it's divided equally, sometimes some bandmember(s) get more than the others. I could for instance imagine that Steven Wilson's share in the payments of Porcupine Tree is larger because he is the most important creative source in the band,

Don't take it too bad. I wish the Norrman brothers good luck in sorting out whatever personal issues they have. Yet, I am sure that Katatonia will continue to make good music and deliver good shows.

I recently thought about what Anders said in those interviews that he had trouble writing new material for what ended up to be NITND. Jonas even went as far as calling it Writer's Block. I thought maybe he needs some fresh influences, a change of direction, or just something to stir him up. The Norrman brothers leaving wasn't exactly what I was thinking about but maybe a change of personnel also has a positive effect in this direction. New people bringing in new views, fresh ideas that might put Anders back on (a new) track. This happened to Opeth twice, once when Nordin and DeFarfalla left, and (to a lesser extent) when Lopez and Lindgren left.

You may argue that Anders is already back on track considering how great NITND has become. But I recently noticed that the credits on the tracks go mostly to Jonas and the whole of Kata while on previous albums Anders was credited on 95% of the tracks. So, maybe this phase isn't yet over for him.

Sorry if I'm late to quote in this thread.

But I agree completely with what is said here.

I commend Fred and Mattias for leaving. I cant imagine how hard it was for them to do. Families are the most important thing and the days of touring and being apart from family is over for them. Its huge...and of course my usual apocalyptic thinking says this is somehow the beginning of the end for Katatonia...I have worried about it since the BMD days...but alas I hope it is another chapter which provides more productive days to come for Jonas and Anders and provide Mattias and Fred the quality of life they deserve.

I am heavy hearted about this though...I mean I got pretty tight with Mattias while they were in the states...but also learned how much he loves his family...I dont know if I couldve made that decision and Im sure they poured over it for months.

I love those guys...all of em...and Im never going to bitch or question them because since I was quite young they have inspired me and in a way helped me to be who I am today. Who knows...maybe this move of utter responsibility will help me to make some more tough decisions in my own trials.

oh...and good to see some old faces here
:wave:

I think the only strange thing in all this is that the two are leaving at the same time. I mean, why would this happen? They're no siamese

What a pity... I would've liked to catch Katatonia at least another time with Fredrik and Mattias playing live. I expected that one day someone would've left the band, bcs of their families ties. I can understand 'em. I've been listening to Katatonia since 1994-1995, I have no family ties and I don't play, but a lot of things changed in my life since 'the school days' and I can understand their reasons having wives, children, then recording, touring and so on.

B.t.w., there can't be any Katatonia without Lord J. and Blackheim.

Sorry if I'm late to quote in this thread.

But I agree completely with what is said here.

Hmm, what I'm going to say maybe sounds a bit harsh, but I'm not too enthusiastic about the bassparts on nitnd. There are some obvious great hooks, but I think you can add a lot more taste in between these hooks. I kind of miss the creativity here and there. So I'm hoping new members could change that.
I would be sceptical about the input of these brothers btw.
In a studio situation usually there isn't a whole lot of room for personal interpretation. Especially for a second guitar player. To clarify my point about the bass: I feel that the catchy bassparts were written by the songwriters, and where there isn't an obvious hook going on and where the personal input would come in, I think it sounds a bit uninspired and... "safe".
I want to see some monster musicians join katatonia now to tighten things up.

It's really unfortunate that they are leaving, but I can understand why they did. I wish them all the best - I'm sure it wasn't easy for them to come to this decision.

While I'm sad to see them go, I'm also really interested to see who the replacements will be. Does anyone know what ever happened to Israphel Wing? I've always wondered what the band would be like with him in it. Of course, I have no idea if they're even on speaking terms anymore, let alone if he would be a good fit for the band. In any event, Sweden definately has its fair share of talent, so I'm sure that there are plenty of people eager to join.

Also, I'd really like to see them get a keyboardist - it would really add to the atmosphere, especially in a live setting.