Free Steven Slate Snare

bensnookes

Jun 4, 2006
I'm very take on the up take, and i was searching for the free snare stale posted a while back, is there anyone who wouldn't mind uploading the GOG/WAV formats for me and posting the link here?

Will be helpful to anyone who missed out on getting the sample like myself :erk:

why don't you pay like the rest of us? Steven slate is just a normal guy like everyone else on the boards. Don't you think its pretty fucked to steal his product?? Plus they have a system set up to track any pirated samples

read the post, he was asking for the sample Slate gave us for FREE ;)

snare 19 it was called I think

sorry completely my fault. Remembered about that free snare he put up about 10 seconds after my snarky post. My bad

yeah, i thougth so too!

but i've heard of watermarked promo copies that could even be tracked back to the owner if you recorded the sounds from the cd to a new file... %)

yeah, i thougth so too!

but i've heard of watermarked promo copies that could even be tracked back to the owner if you recorded the sounds from the cd to a new file... %)

It would take a LOT of time and money to make a totally separate copy of a CD for each person you give it to :\... Mixing in different sounds into like 1000 different promos for different magazines and such? Christ...

well, watermarked stuff at least requires different pressing for each one that is already being done.
about the "soundmark" maybe it's some HF-signal that's mixed in there that we can't hear but an analyzer would show. possible or total bs? maybe there's not an individual soundstamp for every but just one so you could know that a file is leaked and you could start your search for the one who leaked it from there?

I think that once you copy your WAV-files, your buyers-ID (or whatever is used) is on that copy too.
This way they can track you down for spreading the stuff and I think it's a great way of preventing the kids from stealing!
It shows that powerful protection can work without any wicked serials/codes whatever.

So a start-up company developed this "watermarking" technology and no other leading company like Toontrack ect... has decided to use it? Hmm...hard for me to buy that. He probably just says that so people are afraid to pirate his shit, which is a good idea...kind of like the fake security cam trick.

So a start-up company developed this "watermarking" technology and no other leading company like Toontrack ect... has decided to use it? Hmm...hard for me to buy that. He probably just says that so people are afraid to pirate his shit, which is a good idea...kind of like the fake security cam trick.

yes, that is a good point also, however, I do think there is some sort of protection on it.

But I think the main reason is its popularity. The more popular the product is, the more people get attracted to it and the more likely it might get pirated one way or the other and the stuff from Toontrack is WAY more popular than Steven Slate Drums.

On the other hand, why would I pirate something for others to be free when I had to buy it on my own? That doesn't really make any sense, does it.

On the other hand, why would I pirate something for others to be free when I had to buy it on my own? That doesn't really make any sense, does it.

That's what I think. But I guess in the most cases those people who leaked software/whatever didn't have to pay for it by themselves.

Lets get some facts here fellas. No the free snare does not have DAFS. So what is DAFS? DAFS is digital audio fingerprint system. What is it? Its a code that embeds a little serial number in audio files. So do we really one off these collections? No, we ten off them. We currenly have ten machines that code discs all day long. Given that only 10-15 random audio files per collection are coded, its become a quick process. Initially the machine coded EVERY audio file and that was absurd for production. We can produce up to 60 collections per day.

So why doesn't toontrack or other companies do this? Probably because its hard to find the patience to produce discs this way. For a company like them, it makes more sense to ship out a master and get 10,000 discs pressed. I chose to protect my hard earned work at the expense of slower production.

I hope everyone here can understand the amount of work that goes into producing a collection like my 2.0 Sig series. I appreciate everyone here being supportive and not trying to rip me and my team off.

And you certainly CAN track wav files with a dafs code in them. A digital copy is an exact copy, and it will also copy the embedded code. HEXtheNET if you don't "Buy" our dafs system then explain how we identified a collection found on a p2p group in august and are currently in litigation with the individual who owned the collection?

Again, big companies, such as record companies cannot track every disc they sell, its absurd. So this technology is only good for companies that do from 500-5000 discs per month. Any more then that and its too slow for production.

Hope you guys enjoy the free snare.

So how exactly does it work...? I still don't really understand how it's possible... Does it append extra information onto the file that is ignored by audio software and is only readable by some special software/machine that is used specifically for the DAFS? Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to nit-pick and call your bluff or anything, just genuinely interested in this technology...

It actually embeds the code into one of the bits. It was originally made for a company that was doing PC gaming but that company went under and my former partner hired the guy who wrote the code thinking that he would save the music industry. But again, its not practical for large runs of discs because it simply slows down production. When we first tried it on the collections there were some errors with playback but it was soon fixed so that the code is transparent to an audio host.

The code is detected by the same software that embeds it. Its quite cool. I can't really go into any more detail besides saying the system works and I hope that I never have to use it again. I should also say there are quite a few other watermarking systems that work with audio files, its not like we reinvented the wheel to be honest.

It actually embeds the code into one of the bits. It was originally made for a company that was doing PC gaming but that company went under and my former partner hired the guy who wrote the code thinking that he would save the music industry. But again, its not practical for large runs of discs because it simply slows down production. When we first tried it on the collections there were some errors with playback but it was soon fixed so that the code is transparent to an audio host.

The code is detected by the same software that embeds it. Its quite cool. I can't really go into any more detail besides saying the system works and I hope that I never have to use it again. I should also say there are quite a few other watermarking systems that work with audio files, its not like we reinvented the wheel to be honest.

sounds cool, a pity it doesn't work (practically) for music releases.
( I Imagine it being similar to Sub-codes on CD , like ISRC etc)
As far as I understand it it's still not possible to track down the user of leaked software that way (e.g. a sample in a full mix) , but at least you can trace back who leaked a collection of yours when it's found on one of the torrent sites.

looking forward to getting the 2.0 signature-set...waiting for another sneapster-special ;)

thanks for your work and posting here