Funny observation about Sonata Arctica's lyrics

Palabra de Dios

Heavy Metal Weatherman
Mar 22, 2005
St. Joseph, MO
My friend and I were listening to Sonata Arctica (as we often do, a rare mutual favorite between us), and we noticed that there are very many songs that seem to be about broken relationships and lost love. "Last Drop Falls," "Tallulah," "Letter to Dana," "Victoria's Secret," "Blinded No More," and "My Selene," all seem to be songs about individual girls who 'got away' or have done some sort of wrong in life. I then told my friend that it is Tony Kakko that pretty much writes all the lyrics for SA.

To which he replied, "Damn, Tony, bitches got you down?":lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, how much heartache can you take?:erk:

You forgot Shamandalie.

Sonata is far from the only band that does this. I think it's just easier to write a song about heartache than happiness. I'll make a safe guess that at least 80% of the songs in my iTunes library have negative connotations.

And Don't Say A Word taking that subject to its extreme.

I think it's safe to say Tony's experienced some heartache in his life. As we all have. That's why I love his lyrics so much!

Just recently getting into Sonata. But I know that in the song Shy, he mentions Dana again. Is that some sorta concept thing? Or is it just another reference to the heartbreaking bitch...?

I have an odd SA lyrics story. When I got Reckoning Night, I was taking an International Law class and was studying for the final. I'm listening to the CD and I have to stop say to myself "Did he just say 'pacta sund servanda'"??? [in Don't Say A Word]

"pacta sund servanda" is the legal principle that "promises must be kept; contracts/treaties must be enforced". We had learned about it in class. I never thought I'd hear one of my law school teachings in a power metal song. What a perfect lyric though for the subject matter of the song! Tony's incredible...

My friend and I were listening to Sonata Arctica (as we often do, a rare mutual favorite between us), and we noticed that there are very many songs that seem to be about broken relationships and lost love. "Last Drop Falls," "Tallulah," "Letter to Dana," "Victoria's Secret," "Blinded No More," and "My Selene," all seem to be songs about individual girls who 'got away' or have done some sort of wrong in life. I then told my friend that it is Tony Kakko that pretty much writes all the lyrics for SA.

When I first started listening to Sonata Arctica, I noticed this too! I actually feel connected to many of these types of Sonata Arctica songs, especially "Last Drop Falls" because it's eerily similar to my first relationship, so much that it gives me shivers when I listen to it lol.

LOLOL It's so funny you posted this. This week, Yip called me with some random lyric from a Sonata song and my response was close to your friend's. (without the rap influence of course). I said something like - poor guy, he's not so lucky with the ladies, is he?

Listening to Silence one day (about a year or so ago) with a friend of mine, I made a similar assesment. Something along the lines of:

"Wow! Toni must have had some or at least one woman really hurt him somewhere along the lines to write the kind of lyrics he does."

His lyrics are incredible, but I can't imagine someone writing something that expresses so much hurt caused by the opposite sex without having some sort of intense real-life experience to accompany with that emotion. I was really suprised to see in those interviews that he didn't pull from a lot of real life experiences.

By the way, I heard someone clasify Sonata as "emo" one time. WTF? :zombie: There is a major difference between writing technically and beautifully composed music with very emotional lyrics :headbang: , and writing basic radio-friendly song patterns with a signer who just wants to whine about everything. :cry: :puke:

Although those interviews sure make it sound like none of his relationship writing comes from personal experience, I have a hunch that's not entirely true. First off, notice the "out" in this answer:

Q: Do your relationship songs come from personal experience? A: (laughs) No, I have actually been in a very happy relationship for ten years now. I haven’t had any of those bad experiences in these past ten years.

Door's open for them to come from his younger life.

Second, when I asked him this question, I got a much more hedged answer. Something along the lines of "I don't like to go into too much detail on where the inspiration comes from. The important thing is that people connect with it." I have a feeling there's more personal than he lets on. Maybe not.