Future Bands

SymphonyXV

Mar 9, 2010
Albany, NY
I noticed a lot of people seem to be making non SX related threads so I thought it'd be ok to post this.

Where do you guys see the future of music going into? I'm pretty much just refering to metal and progressive. Do you think everything that could ever be done within the genres has already been done? Also, how are recording studios these days even able to stay in business since music is pretty much free now? When SX retire or quit, do you think there will be a new band similiar to them that will continue to make similar music? Just something to think about.

I have pondered this for years and had a topic of some sort about what would actually constitute truely "new" or innovative music on the musicians discussion section last year or year before. I gave up looking for the answers, it seems the modern approach is to simply be more aggressive or radical but there is nothing innovative about that.

I wish someone would take some of the hard rock-blues sounds from the '70s and combine it with the more aggressive and technical SX-style music. I still have not found this out there, though I'm still searching.

I wish someone would take some of the hard rock-blues sounds from the '70s and combine it with the more aggressive and technical SX-style music. I still have not found this out there, though I'm still searching.

Words of wisdom :worship:

Would'nt some of Rush and Kansas have done that ? I dont know I think its near impossible to put the two together because as soon as you move toward full scales and full key cords you moved away from hardrock and blues and begin to sound more metal and classical. Some of the commercial metal bands of the 80's took thier music a little toward progressive but they were still basic song structures with just the occasional interesting section. Guys like Satraini took boogie farther into tangents.

I'm guessing that 20+ years from now, most progressive bands will probably be like Coheed and Cambria, and most metal bands would be more thrashy

Some Symphony X songs already do have this tendency. Sea of lies does! Just a little though. A little more would be awesome!

I'm just 17 but my dream ever since I was 11 was to make it in a progressive metal band and make albums and tour the world for the rest of my life. It seems now like that is completely impossible, especially with how the music industry is going. I have yet to see a prog metal band really make it on their own with just using myspace and no record deal. Does anyone have any advice?

If Dragonforce can make it as a power metal band then you can as a prog metal band... lol. hahaha!

If Dragonforce can make it as a power metal band then you can as a prog metal band... lol. hahaha!

Dragonforce started over 10 years ago when it was still possible to get signed and they had guitar hero which really got them attention. I'm just a middle class white kid who lives on the country side is upstate New York.

The future well I'll skip the whole industry aspect of it because there is a lot to say about it and too little time for me write it all out. I'll gladly sit with someone and chat for hours over some brews about it all.

Where is the future of Prog music?

I dont see it changing much as new bands come out they're still influenced by the music before them. Its just hearing the influences being mixed around a little differently.

This is a VERY interesting topic.

I will say, the short version is that Post-Rock is the future of metal. Pop is the future of rock.

Ugh, I hope not. There is just nothing going on in post rock. Pretty, but trite. Like a bowl of plastic fruit.

I think the progressive metal tradition (not in the sense of being progressive in general but the specific style with DT at its helm right now) is almost out of gas. I can't say I'm too disappointed - its shining moments were '85-'92 anyway, with some exceptions. More electronics in metal would be nice. Serialist metal would be even nicer.

Doom and sludge seem to be big, too. "So crushing!" Oh, brother.

I'm just 17 but my dream ever since I was 11 was to make it in a progressive metal band and make albums and tour the world for the rest of my life. It seems now like that is completely impossible, especially with how the music industry is going. I have yet to see a prog metal band really make it on their own with just using myspace and no record deal. Does anyone have any advice?

Seems impossible to me for a different reason...namely, I couldn't play/write music to save my life. :bah:

I think the progressive metal tradition (not in the sense of being progressive in general but the specific style with DT at its helm right now) is almost out of gas. I can't say I'm too disappointed - its shining moments were '85-'92 anyway, with some exceptions. More electronics in metal would be nice. Serialist metal would be even nicer.

I dont think its all that gloomy for the prog front after all we're talking 20 years or so for the genre and there are still some younger standout bands to keep the torch going.

Circus Maximus, Riverside, Venturia, Andromeda, Myrath, Darkwater, Adagio, Implosion, Pagans Mind, Vanden Plas, Redemption, Wastefall to name a few.

There will always be prog metal bands, I dont forsee it fading away. I'm seeing a large number of younger musicians out there that have grown past the Dragonforce phase and are moving on to more interesting music. We played a fest with Black Label Society (bunch of jerkwads), there was a competition for an unknown band to get on the bill. The band that won was a bunch of kids that had an instrumental prog band. That wasnt our first encounter with a young prog band either, we've had a few.

Riverside kicks ass! I have their first album and it was a staple on my ipod last year in study hall and on the bus. Riverside has been around for quite a while though. I'm talking recent like 2008 and 2009 or even 2010. I play electric and acoustic guitar, bass and the synthesizer but I can't sing or play drums. I live in a really small town and no one seems to be interested in playing music or really having any excitement at all. Pop will always be my enemy I have tried listening to the top 40 station and it made me feel sick. Mainstream just will always fucking suck. My main concern is is it really possible say I started a band tomorrow that we'd get anywhere at all?

I imagine there's a lot more prog fans in the big cities but I'm not sure. Do you think if I moved to the city or something it'd help at all?

I dont think its all that gloomy for the prog front after all we're talking 20 years or so for the genre and there are still some younger standout bands to keep the torch going.

Circus Maximus, Riverside, Venturia, Andromeda, Myrath, Darkwater, Adagio, Implosion, Pagans Mind, Vanden Plas, Redemption, Wastefall to name a few.

If these, ONE of the above has not degenerated into "same old same old".