Future Bands

I'll play press on the video and write down thoughts as they come to me.

Ugliest band logo I've ever seen.
Nice prominent bass.
Mediocre vocals.
Weak chorus.
4:38- sound like something good starts here
4:53- hmmm
5:10- hmmmmmmmm
5:25- okay well I guess that was okay.
5:50 ah, they're doing the intro thing.
6:00 meh, vocals again.
MEH.

I HIGHLY recommend the band Thought Chamber, they are a relatively new American prog band who IMO can hold their own with the best of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iXVhezp6A8

Phanto, I really don't like your negativity.

This band is fucking amazing, I especially love the album artwork. I love finding new bands it makes me feel better knowing there are still masterpieces being made in my own generation. I guess the hardest part of my search for a band will be finding musicians who not only play good but really care about music. I mean, I have no plans to ever settle with a wife and kids or anything. Literally the only thing I want to do in my life is play in a band. It's all I think about.

Wikipedia is my best friend. Check out this band they are directly influenced by Symphony X and Dream Theater:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if we are just listing progressive metal bands here I'll make a list of what is mentioned so far, and a few of the bands I know:

Circus Maximus
Riverside
Venturia
Andromeda
Myrath
Darkwater
Adagio
Implosion
Pagan's Mind
Vanden Plas
Redemption
Wastefall
Mind's Eye
Fates Warning
Magellan
Dreamscape
Pain of Salvation
Porcupine Tree
Queensryche
Thought Chamber
Seventh Wonder
Shadow Gallery
Threshold
Xystus
Ayreon
Dream Theater
And of course: Symphony X

I will edit this when more bands are mentioned, or if I remember more

P.S. Wikipedia is my wife

Agreed. Which is the "one," by the way?

Innovation is very difficult.

I'm not gonna say, but I bet we'd agree. ;)

There are a lot of interesting bands putting out interesting music. At least, in my subjective and entirely personal opinion. And very few of those bands could be considered 'prog metal'

Savatage

Streets, Dead Winters Dead, Wake of Magellan

great music unique to themselves without all the typical high tech displays of instrumental skills and fills and tangents that makes nearly every prog band sound like Dream Theater '92 and on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I believe its hard to find musicians interested in putting the work into progressive and not necessarily because they are lazy and certainly not because they dont have the skills. Most musicians I know which is not alot, are just more into straight forward songs. You are also dealing with "semi professionals" they play to have fun and make a part time living playing bar gigs on Saturday night. People at bars want to have fun not be bombared with heavy, deep, intellectual, just sit or stand and listen music.

I went through this in 92-93 when my band split. We had done the "gig" thing and hated it, so we started working on some primitive but more deep and extensive origional music. We added two guys to our band, one to play bass to free up my song writting partner for just vocals and the other as a second guitar... we got nothing but resistance from them because the stuff was "to hard to memorize" "nobody wants to listen to that shit" "wheres this song going it all over the place" "we think you should drop all that stuff and start fresh"... I should add that we also moved to their place of practice because where we were we had to leave because the drummer and his girl split. ANyhow I put up with this for 6 weeks, we learned 5 of thier more basic origionals and they learned TWO of ours... finally one night my head began doing 360's and the two got to meet Stevie, after that I packed up my gear and that was it. Theres more to it than that believe me, they were real gamers, working me when I went there to show parts, to leave the other two because I would be better with better musicians, then I didnt know what they were saying to the other guys when they were there and I wasnt, bla bla bla, it was total twilight zone. The other two stayed with them for about 2 weeks nothing went anywhere and soon nobody was playing music anymore.

Seriously BANDS SUCK, its far worse than a marraige or boy/girl relationship, just imagine the different veiws expressed in this forum as to whats good and what sucks and how a band should really do what and how long before the album is done, bla, bla, bla... then imagine 5 guys in the same band doing that.

So anyhow then I had adds in every music store around looking for others into origionals in the vein of progressive metal and mentioned Dream Theater, Queensryche and Fates Warning... I did not get a SINGLE call.

So start now, networking and eventually you may find one or two other guys with similair ambitions... then you can add a few others that will totally fuck the entire thing up........ :bah:

:wave:

Eugh, that's awful, thanks for sharing though, puts things in perspective. Yeah, I'd always figured being in a serious band would be like a marriage but five times more difficult with five people and without the glue of romantic love holding it together through the rough spots (at least...not usually?) Never done it myself but...

So anyhow then I had adds in every music store around looking for others into origionals in the vein of progressive metal and mentioned Dream Theater, Queensryche and Fates Warning... I did not get a SINGLE call.

If I were more of a passable bassist you can bet I'd answer that like a motherfucker... :(

Actually there is a bit of a romance when things click. Another guitar player that was in that band when we were a gig band made that point after a good jam or really nailing a song... he would say "almost as good as sex wasnt it ?"... we laughed our asses off but I have always felt that way, playing music and being tight at it with a bunch of guys is quite a thrill. Sometimes you get done with a song and all you can do is smile... other nights you want to cry but thats how it is when your just a bunch of mediocre players, hacks, good nights and bad night but when you nail it everyone smiles. Great players expect and can do that every song, night after night and prolly dont think much of it.

Many here already heard the story but 3 years ago the bass player/vocalist and my song writting partner died at the age of 40. We rarely saw each other since the early 90's and the three of us NEVER played together again. Since then the drummer and I get together one night a week and have worked on rebuilding those songs and a pile of new stuff that Todd would have been extatic about, they would be DONE too, he was the man to wrap it all together.

At any rate the reason I told that little deal was to once again say... we still cant find anyone interested in learning how to play our songs. People come by and jam, blast through some easy stuff, then we blow them away with what we are tight on and they say they just cant learn it, "wow, theres alot going on there. thats gonna be hard", we never see them again...

most people just wanna cop a groove, play some songs and have fun.

Actually there is a bit of a romance when things click. Another guitar player that was in that band when we were a gig band made that point after a good jam or really nailing a song... he would say "almost as good as sex wasnt it ?"... we laughed our asses off but I have always felt that way, playing music and being tight at it with a bunch of guys is quite a thrill. Sometimes you get done with a song and all you can do is smile... other nights you want to cry but thats how it is when your just a bunch of mediocre players, hacks, good nights and bad night but when you nail it everyone smiles. Great players expect and can do that every song, night after night and prolly dont think much of it.

Many here already heard the story but 3 years ago the bass player/vocalist and my song writting partner died at the age of 40. We rarely saw each other since the early 90's and the three of us NEVER played together again. Since then the drummer and I get together one night a week and have worked on rebuilding those songs and a pile of new stuff that Todd would have been extatic about, they would be DONE too, he was the man to wrap it all together.

At any rate the reason I told that little deal was to once again say... we still cant find anyone interested in learning how to play our songs. People come by and jam, blast through some easy stuff, then we blow them away with what we are tight on and they say they just cant learn it, "wow, theres alot going on there. thats gonna be hard", we never see them again...

most people just wanna cop a groove, play some songs and have fun.

Are you still in a band? I would make my own solo project like Ayreon but then that means I could never play live gigs. I hate the mentality "let's just jam and have a few beers then never see each other again".

Are you still in a band? I would make my own solo project like Ayreon but then that means I could never play live gigs. I hate the mentality "let's just jam and have a few beers then never see each other again".

Not true. If you take off, you can always hire a live band like Arjen does.

LOL... I have thought from time to time "what do I have to do... pay people to come play bass, guitar and sing?"

That is what will happen though when we get stuff wrapped up, I know a excellent semi pro guitar player that will gladly lay down some solos for us and have a few vocalists I want to try, Ill record the bass parts and I know the guitar player will just do it for us and maybe the right vocalist too. The guitar player heard some scratch tracks of the older stuff and was impressed. Joe the drummer can sing pretty good but isnt the voice Im looking for, I want one of the experienced and seasoned local "lead" vocalists.

I HIGHLY recommend the band Thought Chamber, they are a relatively new American prog band who IMO can hold their own with the best of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iXVhezp6A8

What are you thoughts on the instrumental Harris disc Sketches From the Thought Chamber?

A few bands besides Opeth and Riverside that I expect to make some future classics are...

Dark Suns
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Koenjihyakkei

LOL... I have thought from time to time "what do I have to do... pay people to come play bass, guitar and sing?"

That is what will happen though when we get stuff wrapped up, I know a excellent semi pro guitar player that will gladly lay down some solos for us and have a few vocalists I want to try, Ill record the bass parts and I know the guitar player will just do it for us and maybe the right vocalist too. The guitar player heard some scratch tracks of the older stuff and was impressed. Joe the drummer can sing pretty good but isnt the voice Im looking for, I want one of the experienced and seasoned local "lead" vocalists.

The hardest part for me and a lot of other people I have talked to is getting and recording drums. I don't have any room to put a drum set and it would probably piss the neighbors off when I play it and also I don't know how I'd record it without drum mics. Have you ever used a drum machine? I know Arjen used one on Actual Fantasy and I thought it was pretty good so I might save for one of those.

Finding a good vocalist who doesn't have a huge ego must be damn near impossible. I've been taking vocal lessons for about two years and I'm in my school chorus but my voice is so clean, it doesn't really work for metal.

I have been lucky, my best friend growing up was an excellent drummer, then I didnt play much for 10 years, then another group of friends had started a band and I began playing again. THen I hooked up with this group of guys around here in 90 and this drummer has been one of my best friends so I need not sweat the drummer thing, I also seem to unconsciously refuse to play without a drummer because two long periods in my life I had no drummer I did not play much. Might be because I began playing with a drummer.

Cant stand the sound of drum machines and non organic players is against my religion. Recording drums has been our largest hold up as well, soon we are expecting to do some recording with an electric set, minus snare and highhat and see how it goes. There is a private studio owned by the guitar player I mentioned we could go to and do it right but funds prohibit this. I priced drum micing and IIRC it would be somewhere between $600-1000 and still not have a board to mix it all on. I have the technical electronics skill level of a 4 year old so I would spend money in a studio before spending money on equipment cloggin up my basement.

As much as I critized people that just want to play and have fun... I just want to play guitar and leave all the technology to somebody else that already has the equipment and tried and true experience. Its all about money which is beyond short these days and music is little more than a labor of love. We have no expectations for "success" we just want to get some stuff out there for people to listen to, mainly other local friends that knew us.