Future Bands

As a multi-instrumentalist, the best part about PROG to me is the long solo sections. Typically I even skip over the vocals and just get to the jamming. Great moments that come to my mind are the solo section of Genesis' "The Knife", the synth solo section of Dream Theater's "Beyond this Life" and "Fatal Tragedy" and the synth solo in Yes' "Close to the Edge".

I too play a variety of instruments and those sections kill the music for me because they depart from the "song" to showcase something else, only to eventually return to the "story" being told. You can argue that if you like, but in my mind, if it doesn't contribute, cut it out. There are some epic long songs that are essential because even the long instrumental passages develop the theme and the listener can discern the movement of the music, rather than a cut and paste departure and return.

For the most part, I agree with Ken.
I used to love those sections in songs, but as time goes on, they are starting to annoy me more and more.
Don't get me wrong, the basic song structures irriate me even more-so, but I feel that every part of the song should contribute to the theme of the music/story. I love when a song breaks off into an amazing tangent, as long as it still flows and fits nicely.
The perfect example of what I enjoy would be Opeth's Godhead's Lament.
Endless shred session trade-offs can get quite old.

I'd rather listen to Anathema's "Are You There?" or Enchant's "What to Say" 5 times in a row than listen to a cut and paste prog metal by-the-book nonesense.

Have you heard the last year's Les Discrets? Quite similiar to Alcest, but really good as well.

They released a split album actually. Tracks 1 to 3 were by Les Discrets and tracks 4 to 5 by Alcest.

Alcest rules. Both bands are the only french thing I'd listen to.

I think I'm at the point now where I can say goodbye to Prog Metal.
I am finding a growing trend in prog metal these days. Boring songs that always seem to come down to this:

1) Crazy Intro/Emotional Attempt
2) Quick Cut to BORING verse in which the rhythm plays a heavy synchopated pattern, overtop the same melodies/chord progressions/patterns as every other song. It's really NOT creative, guys. Oh, and generic vocals melodies enter (regardless of how great the singer's voice actually is)
3) Chorus - Highly catchy and predictable.
4) Repeat Step 2
5) Repeat step 3
6) Crazy breakdown with ridiuclous time signatures, solo trade-offs, etc.
7) Repeat step 3 twice.

There is no reason to want to listen to one song over another on an album. They all sound the same.

It's unforunate because the genre has the ability to really "wow" me. I will keep my eyes pealed for the Prog Metal Insta-Classics, but from now on, I will choose very selectively, and I will definitely be focusing on Prog Rock.

I am finding a growing trend in prog metal these days. Boring songs that always seem to come down to this:

2) Quick Cut to BORING verse in which the rhythm plays a heavy synchopated pattern, overtop the same melodies/chord progressions/patterns as every other song. It's really NOT creative, guys. Oh, and generic vocals melodies enter (regardless of how great the singer's voice actually is)
4) Repeat Step 2
5) Repeat step 3
7) Repeat step 3 twice.

There is no reason to want to listen to one song over another on an album. They all sound the same.

It's unforunate because the genre has the ability to really "wow" me. I will keep my eyes pealed for the Prog Metal Insta-Classics, but from now on, I will choose very selectively, and I will definitely be focusing on Prog Rock.

Fair enough, but which bands do you consider to be prog metal and which do you consider to be prog rock? Aside from obvious distinctions between bands such as Symphony X and Porcupine Tree, I really don't see a difference...

I really enjoy the format of prog metal. I don't mind that 50 bands all sound like one. If you want something to REALLY complain about, listen to the top 40 station for an hour, then tell me what sounds formulated. :lol:

The differences between prog metal and prog rock are substantial.
I just purchased Darkwater's New album and Aspera's debut album and both albums were just plain boring.

Bands like Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief, Anathema (newer stuff) are nothing like prog metal, and imo, much better.

The GOOD prog metal is still some of the greatest stuff out there. Too many try-hard bands failing to be good prog metal.

4) Repeat Step 2
5) Repeat step 3
7) Repeat step 3 twice.

Get yourself some of that old-time prog metal.

The last jawdropping, absolute must-have prog metal record put out I can think of is either V or Disconnected...dunno which came out first. The newer techy stuff like Cynic's last album is really meh or outright boring, and the melodic stuff like Pagan's Mind, Threshold, etc. does get very samey.

But the fusion side of prog metal seems to be going strong...Planet X and MCM give me major ear-boners. And if you're willing to let some of your prejudices against simplicity slide, OSI is nice.

Last edited by a moderator: