Future Bands

I don't need a study to back up this opinion of mine. It seems I touched a nerve. For those who are willing to let go of genre labels, there is a lot of excellent, innovative progression in music, even now.

Touched a nerve??? Another incorrect assumption and shame on me for wonder why you post such things...

I always wonder why you make some of the negative comments that you do out here and by all means keep at it...

I guess that I'm thrilled to know so many people who don't fall in your negative assumptions...

I know what Ken is talking about but dont dislike the better part of progressive music for defining itself in its dimensions. One problem I think today with the thinking outside the box is the only avenue left is going bizarre, for shock value, brutality, sickness....

Maybe because Im older and creatively lost but I really think the frontier is closed at least in the name of tastefullness. Even historically it makes sense, after the pinnacle of empires they collapse and beside music I think this is where mankind is as a whole. Only creating new frontiers in desperation when the reality is that the earthly frontier that fed all creativity is closed.

Musically its best to blame it all on DT :D

Razoredge,

What do you think of bands like Present, One Shot, Diablo Swing Orchestra and Koenjih Yakkei?

These are bands that I feel are producing some very creative music at this time and hopefully in the near future...

Do you have a problem with bands that don't sing in english?

If you don't then I would be curious if you still feel creative music isn't being produced after listening to them...

So far I can only find Diablo Swing Orchestra and I love swing but Im not hearing anything new, they mix some other elements in with it,opera and Broadway vocals, some metal riffage and some classical elements and mariachi, thus far, interesting mixtures done well.

I attest that there are myriad wonderful bands producing interesting (yes, a subjective term) and reasonably unique music, even today. Before I am assaulted for this claim, I also posit the sub-requirement that these bands need not fall into the prog genre, and largely do not.

I listened to more of Diablo Swing Orchestra last night and it must be it happened the first two songs were "swing", the rest I listened too were much different and all over the place. Yes they are interesting and creative to a degree, abit bizarre to a degree as well, Im not sure about the female opera singer or alot of the vocals but they are interesting

Devin Townsend is a creative god. I understand why some people call him the Zappa of metal. Like Marillion it feels like every note he writes matter. He can do some very unique stuff.

Opeth continue to evolve (for better or worse) but are quite unique. Hearing more and more mellotron and prog stuff in their music.

Lumsk just got a new vocalist, who knows what they can create in the future. They are the only band that capture Scandinavian folk sound and do something interesting with it. All those finnish bands can go suck a cock. Hell, Finland isn't even Scandinavian so fuck them anyway, hurrhurr.

Cross-genre music in general, I think, is the future.

... This month it was Campo De Marte and it seems that I have to get some Area and Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso...

Do you think that bands like the Diablo Swing Orchestra, Present, Koenjih Yakkei or the Unexpect are just "trying to make prog" and not what they want???

Don't know about the bands you listed, since I haven't listened them. But because of your post, I WILL!

And you should definately check out Area, Banco and Premiata Forneria Marconi.

The reason I think classical elements are very strong in Italian prog, is maybe because Italy has deep roots to Classical music. And I guess there were alot of young kids who knew how to play flute, violin etc back then. I think that the youth of today don't have that same backround. And the parents don't insist on picking all those classical instruments like they did back then.

Just a thought...

And the people who were young in the 70's had parents who were born in the 20's-30's? and Jazz was more popular then. Does this even make any sense? What ever! :D Times change, music changes.

I love Townsend, because you never know what he is going to do next, but you will love it anyway. I can't wait for his two new albums in May (2011)

Oh God yes... :D

Now THAT'S captivating melody.

Don't get me wrong I do still think that there are good prog metal bands, like Symphony X, but it seems almost impossible to make that same kind of prog music with just a heavier sound.

Prog metal in general lacks the dynamics and instrumentation that the best prog rock has, but honestly that's true of neo-prog and modern prog rock as well. Look at Kaipa - they've become essentially a parody of themselves.

And I agree, the attitude of "this is what is expected of prog" is NOT what spawned incredible songs like Larks' Tongues in Aspic Pt. 2, The Musical Box, Hocus Pocus, A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, and so on. There are prog metal bands/songs that had a similar burst of inspiration that defied genre expectation and were breathtakingly incredible, but they either came at the birth of the genre (Fates Warning's Exodus, Sieges Even's Tangerine Windows of Solace, Psychotic Waltz's A Psychotic Waltz, etc.) or were born out of traditions that didn't look back to prog rock specifically:

Aww yeah.

Cross-genre music in general, I think, is the future.

I'd rather have something spring from the brow of Zeus at this point...there are only so many ways you can hash punk and metal together (zero) before it becomes asinine, and same IMO for jazz and rock, etc. It's just annoying, frankly, that bands like Between the Buried and Me are praised for being "eclectic." I guess "eclectic" means "shit"

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could predict what will become big in the future I'd start the ball rolling myself!

But why does it have to be new? Let's say that SymX come out with an album that is essentially V pt 2. Would we be raving that we've got another example of something special, or would be complaining that they haven't progressed and are relying on old tricks? Just look at AC/DC, they've been recycling the same song for 25 years and we're not sick of it yet, because if you're good at something what is so wrong at still doing it?

When Wolfmother arrived on the scene they were accused of being just a ripoff of Led Zep and Black Sabbath - as if that's necessarily a bad thing. If someone unearthed a previously unknown Zeppelin album would we not listen to it because "meh, it's just more Led Zeppelin"?

There will also hopefully be a market for someone who through pure skill, technique, showmanship, charisma and sheer joy creates something new from something old:

What I would like to see more is music for the sake of the music; performances by people who can really perform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tommy Emmanuel is awesome, what the guy has besides wicked dexterity, total physical speed, coordination and skills is groove, most amazing rhythm. Another one of the rare few that becomes the music.