Future Bands

No it does not count!!! Cuz it IS NOT changing! It has stayed for like 15 years... 15 years of crap!

I don't think there's anything new that can be done vocally except for finding new effects to lay on them.

One of the things that I feel is great about vocalists that really stand out is that they have their own thing going on, expression, phrasing, timbre so there is a bit of newness... rare that it is.
Personally I believe there are still new things to do in music. So far music has never stayed the same. Some stuff is always recycled but still there are some bands today doing stuff that nobody did 15 years ago.

Music is always evolving and new twists and turns are made, you can always reach back and get a feel for which "school" of music it came from but it evolves steadily
But will there be a new revolution like grunge in the early 90s or metal in the 80s? etc. Don't know. In fact, has there been anything like that after grunge? Does the shitty pop music revolution that seemed to start in late 90s count?

grunge... eh... it was OK, it really reached back and stirred the pot at the same time, hopefully anything in the popular vein will be better than grunge which in some ways thrived on being less of a musician. Today Im seeing some signs of a rebirth of the 80's sound but again stirred up with modern influences.

Myself I'd like to see the blues and boogie get another breath of fresh air like it did in the mid 80's. Its active just not popular. I've had a ZZTop CD in the company truck I have played quite a few times and I really still enjoy that stuff. I just looked it up and its from '96... oh well, still fun music when its time to get away from the serious heavy business which I seem to be doing lately. Metal is on the back burner already overcooked... need a break. Its summer, time to be happy not all growly intense and shit... LOL

Both great bands to listen to while keeping it groove-heavy. Also, fantastic live band (though not exactly the most entertaining show).

All of their newer stuff ("Blast Tyrant" forward) is some of the best groovy, badass blues rock I've ever heard. The old stuff can get a little caveman-ish. It also helps that they sound like inbred backwaters and yet the lyrics are more complex and well-crafted than the majority of rock and metal artists.

which sounds too much like Mars Volta (which I also can't stand),

Speaking of which, while I'm not much of a fan of most of their wtfery, the world could do with more of the bluesy/jazzy type stuff like this:

I'd love to hear more music like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of which, while I'm not much of a fan of most of their wtfery, the world could do with more of the bluesy/jazzy type stuff like this:

I'd love to hear more music like this.

I meant System of a Down when I said that...I keep getting those bands mixed up, even though they are not similar at all.

It's pretty weird to think that in the 70's progressive stuff was so popular. And to think how many GREAT albums came in the 70's, hell there are like 10 AMAZING prog albums that came from Italy alone between '72 and '74. I personally don't think that there will ever be that same kind of time period, but you never know... When you listen to these old classic prog albums, they just have a different feel to them. A lot of today's progressive stuff I've listened seems a bit like they are TRYING to make prog specifically, instead of just making music they want. And because of that, a lot of "prog metal" seems a bit pushed. Maybe it's just me, don't know. Also, on prog music, the "old" sound is way cooler than the over-compressed metal sound. Don't get me wrong I do still think that there are good prog metal bands, like Symphony X, but it seems almost impossible to make that same kind of prog music with just a heavier sound.

PS. Sorry I'm not that good in explaining my feelings in English

It's pretty weird to think that in the 70's progressive stuff was so popular. And to think how many GREAT albums came in the 70's, hell there are like 10 AMAZING prog albums that came from Italy alone between '72 and '74. I personally don't think that there will ever be that same kind of time period, but you never know... When you listen to these old classic prog albums, they just have a different feel to them. A lot of today's progressive stuff I've listened seems a bit like they are TRYING to make prog specifically, instead of just making music they want. And because of that, a lot of "prog metal" seems a bit pushed. Maybe it's just me, don't know. Also, on prog music, the "old" sound is way cooler than the over-compressed metal sound. Don't get me wrong I do still think that there are good prog metal bands, like Symphony X, but it seems almost impossible to make that same kind of prog music with just a heavier sound.

PS. Sorry I'm not that good in explaining my feelings in English

It seems that every month I find another band from the 70s that blows me a way... This month it was Campo De Marte and it seems that I have to get some Area and Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso...

Do you think that bands like the Diablo Swing Orchestra, Present, Koenjih Yakkei or the Unexpect are just "trying to make prog" and not what they want???

I dont know if I agree with all that or not, what was more interesting was there were fewer sources of influence, bands were mostly winging it which gave more creative edge. The skill level was lower so rather than having a group of highly educated technical musicians that have absorbed everything done in the past you had all these players creating what came into their head, maybe you could say it was more organic and less derived. The mood of the times was alot different to, maybe more compassion and less pissed off. I dont know about these Italian bands or the scene in Italy at that time but in the US it was the tail end of the hippy love and peace thing, lots of psychological drug experimentation, everyone was into head music, it was a rapidly changing music front, still a open frontier, nearly every band was progressive in thier own thing by all these factors, it simply cant be replicated.

Credit the Vietnam War ? Credit the cold war and nuclear issues ? Credit that is was more a time of enlightment regarding the political machine rather than going with the flow ? Drug(s) of choice ?

When I remember the 70's and 80's I often wonder if it had anything to do with the drug of choice honestly. There is an obvious change in the mood and taste in music when cocaine became widely available. In the early 70's people were into head music, by the late 70's and through the 80's it changed to great gonzo superman when everyone was wired up on coke or crank... think about it. Maybe just a U.S. thing I really dont know.

I don't buy it.

The 70s was a great time for that particular vein of innovation. However, before and since then there are other veins. They are just not "prog", and this my friends is why I will not describe myself as a prog fan. The music that progresses, that is sparked by whatever cosmic mist may pervade a generation, shifts and travels. It does not remain poised within a particular genre, and I feel this is the single greatest mistake of prog fans - to stick with the genre label, rather than what drew them to the music in the first place.

I don't buy it.

I feel this is the single greatest mistake of prog fans - to stick with the genre label, rather than what drew them to the music in the first place.

How do you come up with this statement about "prog fans"...

Have there been many studies of this?

The people who I know certainly don't fall in this discription but it's a small sample of maybe 100 or so...

I don't need a study to back up this opinion of mine. It seems I touched a nerve. For those who are willing to let go of genre labels, there is a lot of excellent, innovative progression in music, even now.