Future Bands

I have been lucky, my best friend growing up was an excellent drummer, then I didnt play much for 10 years, then another group of friends had started a band and I began playing again. THen I hooked up with this group of guys around here in 90 and this drummer has been one of my best friends so I need not sweat the drummer thing, I also seem to unconsciously refuse to play without a drummer because two long periods in my life I had no drummer I did not play much. Might be because I began playing with a drummer.

Cant stand the sound of drum machines and non organic players is against my religion. Recording drums has been our largest hold up as well, soon we are expecting to do some recording with an electric set, minus snare and highhat and see how it goes. There is a private studio owned by the guitar player I mentioned we could go to and do it right but funds prohibit this. I priced drum micing and IIRC it would be somewhere between $600-1000 and still not have a board to mix it all on. I have the technical electronics skill level of a 4 year old so I would spend money in a studio before spending money on equipment cloggin up my basement.

As much as I critized people that just want to play and have fun... I just want to play guitar and leave all the technology to somebody else that already has the equipment and tried and true experience. Its all about money which is beyond short these days and music is little more than a labor of love. We have no expectations for "success" we just want to get some stuff out there for people to listen to, mainly other local friends that knew us.

Damn I am very jelous you lived through the 80's and 90's. I was born in 93 but it seems all my favorite music was made during the 80's and 90's and I wasn't around to see it happen :( . I am very influenced by Arjen's DIY method but before he had his Ayreon project, he spent 10 years in a band so by the time he went solo, he must have had a book of contacts and people who could help him out. He even had to sell his own house to release his first album!

A lot of people ask me if I want to be famous. I gave up on that thought a couple years ago, but my goal is to be above the average myspace band. 99 percent of them are scene/screamo and most likely won't even last longer than 5 years. So I don't expect to sell out arenas or go platinum but I want to at least fill a small club and sell a few thousand albums someday.

All the decades have their merit, not sure about this last one or the next.

I live in very rural area but it is still possible to find at least one or two others with similiar musical pursuits and build from there. Its not easy, ambition, personal and ego clashes will still happen but eventually you can find a few to have some productive fun with. Take who you can find and dont worry about "how good they play", I have found reliabilty and ambition to be worth far more than initial talent. It also does not hurt to just join a band that does cover tune bar gigs, the experience is valuable and teaching, then you can have your own side projects. If and when you get your work ironed out you will have the network of experienced players to help with other parts for recording. I dont think it pays to be overly stuffy about what kind of music your band plays, there has been some great blues, blues rock, boogie, hardrock and commercial metal songs that served their purpose well, its all learning and not wasted time.

Theres a blues, RnR and bluesrock band I could currently join as a bass player and would if finances were not what they are due to the practice site being 45- 60 minutes away. It would not interfere or effect my other music one bit, Im a bit bummed I cant do it.

Ken hit the nail on the head with where its going. Its sad but true. I think one of the main changes to be hitting the music industry these days (in its entirety) is the usage of vocal tubes. And that whole electronic sound. Which is hardly revolutionary, but its just what appears to be happening.

As for Thought Chamber, they are all right. Not worth busting a nut over!

I've often wondered how long will symphony x go for. They have been around for more than 10 years, and are only now starting to get some well deserved attention (well since 2006ish). But as some of you say, music is pretty much free, how far will they go. It makes me want to cry on the inside thinking that symphony x will ever stop writing music.

You can see it now, people are moving away from the heavily technically, the "perfect" performances to music that is more raw. Blues metal is a great idea. I wouldn't be surprised if we see less focus on the technical instruments and more on unique vocals. Consider the grunge rebellion of the early 90's. It wouldn't surprise me if the same ideals of those times don't repeat themselves. The difference this time around from the 90's is the ease at which that type of music can be produced and distributed. If you thought that grunge was big, I'd expect this time around to be much bigger. And frankly, this time around you'll probably enjoy it.

I'm not saying it'll be grunge. I'm saying it'll be the antithesis of what was popular before. People will get sick of what's currently popular, and rather than admit to just being bored of it, it'll be all "Reject this and reject that".

I would rather listen to a black metal discography of Kevin DuBrow gone solo over and over ad nauseum; then to revisit the reemergence of grunge.

+1

Over and Over

(-1 Pearl Jam)

I've always had a personal fear that music would just get boring or streamlined in the future. Like that all future music would sound like mainstream rock, mainstreamed country, or the thousands of identical pop and R&B artists.The "what's cool" factor scares me tremendously. Will future musicians simple not WANT to play prog or metal?

also, a really cool concept: a completely NEW genre of music, something just......unexpected. Imagine how rock must've felt back in the 50's, how new and different it was...It'd be so cool for another MAJOR unique genre to.....just come into existence. This is highly unlikely but its just something to fantasize about

I'm not saying it'll be grunge. I'm saying it'll be the antithesis of what was popular before. People will get sick of what's currently popular, and rather than admit to just being bored of it, it'll be all "Reject this and reject that".

Well aside from prog hopefully improving and not degenerating, I'd be happy with a return to a more classic rock approach. No more nasal vocals. No more crying whiny emo vocals. No more muddy production. Just clean, straight ahead rock and roll where instead of everyone trying to sing the same(or right out of the ghetto); people will instead start really using their unique voice for purposes of skill.

I'm not holding my breath though.

The "what's cool" factor scares me tremendously. Will future musicians simple not WANT to play prog or metal?

This. Yes. Fucking frightening as fuck.

also, a really cool concept: a completely NEW genre of music, something just......unexpected. Imagine how rock must've felt back in the 50's, how new and different it was...It'd be so cool for another MAJOR unique genre to.....just come into existence.

I'd be happy just with uniqueness and individuality again. But yeah, I hear ya.

I've always had a personal fear that music would just get boring or streamlined in the future.

Two words: drum triggers :(

also, a really cool concept: a completely NEW genre of music, something just......unexpected. Imagine how rock must've felt back in the 50's, how new and different it was...It'd be so cool for another MAJOR unique genre to.....just come into existence.

Must have been what Energetic Disassembly felt like.

the "cool factor" is exactly what cookie monster vocals are all about, same with all the electronical altering, just gross. Natural organic music will always exist its just that the frontier is closed, now its mix and match, or cool factor, or shock factor or what ever stupid thing youth decides to do to proclaim some form of origionality.

We could write music using chord progressions that dont move into each other well, that would be "awesome dude !" Hey I know everybody play out of key that will be cool.

I doubt all music is ever going to just turn into the same generic stuff just recycled over and over again. It's going to get even easier for ANYONE to create music and that means that something new for everyone will always be done but it might get less and less profitable for the artist.

I doubt mainstream music will get better though, but I hope that I'm wrong. I could be wrong... But so far, since the internet has been around, the music on the radio has only gotten worse if anything. But prog? These days it's hard to even be sure what is prog and what isn't. Someone in the first page predicted that future prog will be something like Coheed & Cambria... I'm sure that's bullshit though, C&C are hardly prog by any scale anyway. (And nobody really cares about them anyway)

Also I was just at Finland's Tuska metal festival in Helsinki for all 3 days, every day was sold out as well. And let me tell you, there was a lot of brutal bands playing there: Bloodbath, Cannibal Corpse and Nile to mention a few. The "artiser" stuff was also represented by bands like Barren Earth and Devin Townsend Project. Those gigs were also my favourites.

Devin's eccentric Ziltoid gig also seemed to be one of the (if not THE) most popular gig of the festival.

I'm having hard time trying to sum up my thoughts but to put it short: I'm absolutely sure there will be new great metal and prog bands in the future, it isn't going to go anywhere. I don't know whether it's possible for it to be totally unique and fresh sounding as some people claim that everything's already been done in music, but hey... We'll see.

the "cool factor" is exactly what cookie monster vocals are all about, same with all the electronical altering, just gross. Natural organic music will always exist its just that the frontier is closed, now its mix and match, or cool factor, or shock factor or what ever stupid thing youth decides to do to proclaim some form of origionality.

We could write music using chord progressions that dont move into each other well, that would be "awesome dude !" Hey I know everybody play out of key that will be cool.

LOL I agree! This metalcore obsession is just getting nuts with everyone!!! It DOES NOT take as much talent as real singing... and where is my evidence? HERE:

I actually can growl, scream, screach, and all that stuff... EASILY! For a long time also. I was at some weird local show with one of those Cookie Monster bands (OH NO!) and I decided to "sing" along with him. For about 90-100+ minutes!!!! So it doesn't take supernatural powers and talent to do this! GOSH! I do it all the time for fun though. I admit it is fun!

This. Yes. Fucking frightening as fuck.

I'd be happy just with uniqueness and individuality again. But yeah, I hear ya.

I think there will always be people like me who grew up during the age of Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys but ignored all that and pretty much worship prog metal. When Arjen was making the Final Experiment album, everyone told him he was going to fail and that grunge was all that was being listened to. He proved them wrong when his album sold thousands all over the world and in many magazines was labeled as "Album of the Year".

I hate the mainstream too and I know the mainstream sucked even long before I was born. I like to complain about Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus sometimes but overall I couldn't really give two fucks about what is popular and accepeted.

Jesus Christ man we know you hate growling vocals. Congratulations :wave:

I said prog would be like Coheed and Cambria, I didn't say I liked the fact that it would be like that. I'm guessing this because Cohhed appears to be mainstream (to a certian extent) so people will realize that C&C are making more money and will want to be like that band. Basically in the future, it's all for the money.

I said prog would be like Coheed and Cambria, I didn't say I liked the fact that it would be like that. I'm guessing this because Cohhed appears to be mainstream (to a certian extent) so people will realize that C&C are making more money and will want to be like that band. Basically in the future, it's all for the money.

I doubt they make that much money. Maybe around the same as DT.

No more nasal vocals. No more crying whiny emo vocals...

I rarely say this, but...

THIS!!!

I love the guitar work of some modern "rock" bands like Black Water Rising, Killswitch Engage, and even Alter Bridge, etc., but the vocals are unforgivable. They all eventually err towards "goat vibrato," and the dreaded "screaming cookie monster" at times.

Then there are vocal styles like that of Communic, which sounds too much like Mars Volta (which I also can't stand), Tool knockoffs, and that annoying "Norwegian" sound that Pagan's Mind has.

No matter how silly and/or theatrical a voice like Russell Allen's gets at times, it doesn't seem to bother me the same way. That being said (and though I like SOME of the tracks on Atomic Soul), what happened to the good old, blues-inspired, cranky old man-on-a-front-porch sound of the 70s? I only occasionally see it bleed through on solo albums like Atomic Soul or some of Lande's stuff. Any ideas? Did the post grunge/post rock stuff really kill all of it off?

Are you serious? Regardless of what you think of the music, Myles Kenendy (Alter Bridge) is one of the best rock singers today.

For the record, this and my last post are not attempts at being funny or trolling...dead serious.