Gamers Thread

I'm downloading NHL 2000 for my comp. :)

I've never actually played this one. NHL 98, 99, and 2001 are great games, and still fun even today.

But seriously, what happened to EA. The past few years of their hockey games have just been plain awful. NHL 2005 for example, what a pile of absolute shit. :zombie:

Why did they decide to cap the level at 20 in Fallout3? Just when I thought that plowing through all those boring quests would yield me some interesting perks, no, I'm restricted to one per game. There's nothing mutually exclusive or particularly overpowering about any of those abilities: why, for instance, can't I have all locations automatically revealed on the map, and have my action points replenished upon killing a target in VATS? Lame.
Well, Bethesda pretty much rewrites their policy every time they make a game, so it's a result of the complaints about restrictions in Oblivion. Like usual, they seem to take things too far with their 'fixes'.

I'm downloading NHL 2000 for my comp. :)

I've never actually played this one. NHL 98, 99, and 2001 are great games, and still fun even today.

But seriously, what happened to EA. The past few years of their hockey games have just been plain awful. NHL 2005 for example, what a pile of absolute shit. :zombie:

You need to go out and get NHL 09. That game is the shit. Doesn't get as more realistic to being a pro then that.

You know what game rules?

TimeSplitters 2.

That game was so fucking awesome, endless hours of gameplay and I still haven't gotten tired of it.

I bought Left 4 Dead today, it's extremely fun.

This picture reminded me of this forum, and all forums in general.

left4dead.jpg

Well, Bethesda pretty much rewrites their policy every time they make a game, so it's a result of the complaints about restrictions in Oblivion. Like usual, they seem to take things too far with their 'fixes'.
Fallout 3 would have probably worked better as a scripted, structured shooter, since the action elements are more fleshed out than the roleplaying elements: character interaction is unexciting,there aren't enough side-quests and the big game world feels unusually empty and monotonous making exploration quite unrewarding. I think the game lacks the sense of intimacy and belonging that made the Elder Scrolls series so engaging

Fallout 3 would have probably worked better as a scripted, structured shooter, since the action elements are more fleshed out than the roleplaying elements: character interaction is unexciting,there aren't enough side-quests and the big game world feels unusually empty and monotonous making exploration quite unrewarding. I think the game lacks the sense of intimacy and belonging that made the Elder Scrolls series so engaging
I think that alot of that is that they're trying to imitate a style that isn't their own. They've never been particularly good at making deep or meaningful RPGs, just huge open worlds with interesting scenery and lore. The lack of that is what I think killed Oblivion, as they've been moving more and more away from that into action game territory.

Fallout 3 is incredible. I have 16 hours of gameplay in 3 days, level 5, and I haven't even begun looking for my father.

And it's really awesome that Falls Church is in the game, considering it's literally a 30 second walk from my house IRL.

Also, I have Left 4 Dead too so if anyone wants to play, let me know.

Started playing Fallout 3 this weekend. Goo shit. Does a good job of making me feel like I am in an environment were resources are scarce. Every bullet is precious! I can imagine that game being pretty difficult early on if you don't have reasonably high skill in small arms. Good thing I do.

You need to go out and get NHL 09. That game is the shit. Doesn't get as more realistic to being a pro then that.

My comp has an NVIDIA GeForce4 (MX 440) graphics card. I remember last year that my graphics card specifically wasn't made compatible with NHL 08 or something, so I'd have to check the requirements for NHL 09.

And how does the game compare to EA's previous ones - aside from graphics and gameplay? I honestly haven't enjoyed any of their previous few that much so unless this one is a vast improvement, I'm not sure that I'll care too much for it.

itt Black Friday doesn't understand what a sandbox, open-ended RPG is and wants to be railroaded by a generic JRPG because those have more "meaning" (which they shove down your throat). Bethesda games have as much meaning as you're willing to apply; if you're not putting any in, you'll get little out. If you're willing to roleplay a bit, it becomes instantaneously higher quality, on every level. for the record i like jrpgs

My comp has an NVIDIA GeForce4 (MX 440) graphics card. I remember last year that my graphics card specifically wasn't made compatible with NHL 08 or something, so I'd have to check the requirements for NHL 09.

And how does the game compare to EA's previous ones - aside from graphics and gameplay? I honestly haven't enjoyed any of their previous few that much so unless this one is a vast improvement, I'm not sure that I'll care too much for it.

It's a shitload more challenging then all previous games, I mean you have to work your way up to the NHL, starting up in the AHL and your playing ability on the ice is graded based on 60+ factors. It's fun. Probably the best sports game ever made.

I first read it as a "level 86 Drummer", and I thought what the hell?
Morrowind brings back memories in droves. The open-ended world is amazing: a plethora of side-quests, many different factions. so many memorable characters and locations. Each step in Fallout's drab and desolate wasteland reminds me of how much better that game is by comparison. Granted, I like the combat and perk system in Fallout, but overall, I was pretty disappointed in the game. There simply isn't enough content for an RPG title.

Morrowind had awesome backstory, too. Most people probably skipped past it, but if you read the text and shit it's actually really epic.
I also really liked the visual style. The graphics were shit but they really captured the atmosphere.
Fuck cliff racers, though.

itt Black Friday doesn't understand what a sandbox, open-ended RPG is and wants to be railroaded by a generic JRPG because those have more "meaning" (which they shove down your throat). Bethesda games have as much meaning as you're willing to apply; if you're not putting any in, you'll get little out. If you're willing to roleplay a bit, it becomes instantaneously higher quality, on every level. for the record i like jrpgs
Obviously, you don't understand. Play Fallout 1 and 2.