Gamers Thread

Tbh I completely disagree that not as many good games are getting made, I think it's just there are way more games getting made and so you have to dig deeper for the good ones.

One thing that's probably true about games these days is that there's less diversity now since it takes such a fucking large development team to make a competitive game these days, and the developer conglomerates such as EA, Microsoft and Vivendi are sucking up more smaller companies all the time. It's ridiculous.

There's still plenty of smaller studios making games; if you can compromise on GPU-raping visuals and amazing production values, there's some killer games out there.

There's still plenty of smaller studios making games; if you can compromise on GPU-raping visuals and amazing production values, there's some killer games out there.

Examples? I'm not so sure that smaller developers are really able to tread water financially in the current game industry. There may be a few like Valve or whatever, but I wouldn't go so far as to say there are "plenty" of competitive developers who aren't under the thumb of a mega-corp.

One thing I really like about Blizzard is that they put a lot of effort in their games. They add things that people want.

Like Starcraft 2 for example. They are adding heroes to the map maker, even though they won't be in the actual game. This pleases both the custom map makers/players, and the people who want to play Starcraft 2 like the original one. Everyone wins.

They also don't rush shit, and don't put out games that should of been better just to please the non-patient 11 year olds.

Sorry if I sound like a fanboy, but I think Blizzard is one of the better game developers.

What they need to do is make warcraft 4, instead of pumping out WoW shit.

also, I had no idea about this game:

Sneakkingbox.jpg

The player takes control of The King, the mascot for Burger King, attempting to sneak around and deliver Burger King meals to hungry people, whoever they may be. Gamer points are rewarded for achieving certain goals or style.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you like a porch, a shotgun, and a long white beard so you can shout at people to get off your lawn?

I really don't like the whole "games suck now" thing.
No, just RPG's. The stuff they're creating now is insultingly shallow, because the greats like Planescape and Baldurs Gate just aren't financially viable anymore. Besides, the point is still true to a lesser extent throughout the industry for the reasons stated above, and because the increasing popularity gives rise to the sort of simple-minded stuff that frat boys play.

Edit: And yes, it's a given that there'll be underground devs making great stuff. It's just that they're held back by technical and financial problems, which really hamper the quality of their work.

No, just RPG's. The stuff they're creating now is insultingly shallow, because the greats like Planescape and Baldurs Gate just aren't financially viable anymore. Besides, the point is still true to a lesser extent throughout the industry for the reasons stated above, and because the increasing popularity gives rise to the sort of simple-minded stuff that frat boys play.

Edit: And yes, it's a given that there'll be underground devs making great stuff. It's just that they're held back by technical and financial problems, which really hamper the quality of their work.

So Lost Odyssey, Etrian Odyssey, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Luminous Arc, Rune Factory, Tales of Hearts, etc. are all bad quality games.

So Lost Odyssey, Etrian Odyssey, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Luminous Arc, Rune Factory, Tales of Hearts, etc. are all bad quality games.
Shallow doesn't necessarily mean bad. It's just none of them are nearly as deep, engrossing or intelligent as older games. That goes especially true for JRPGs, which follow the same damn plot most of the time.

I picked up the new Puzzle Quest today, just came out yesterday. Great so far. Puzzle games with RPG and strategy game elements ftw.

Examples? I'm not so sure that smaller developers are really able to tread water financially in the current game industry. There may be a few like Valve or whatever, but I wouldn't go so far as to say there are "plenty" of competitive developers who aren't under the thumb of a mega-corp.

Tbh I just said that, but I think it is true. There are definitely creative things being done today. There's also independent games.

Tbh I just said that, but I think it is true. There are definitely creative things being done today. There's also independent games.
Yeah, indie developers are really pushing the boundaries. I haven't checked out enough of them, outside of some purchases from Steam. Do you know of any really good ones I should check out?

I picked up the new Puzzle Quest today, just came out yesterday. Great so far. Puzzle games with RPG and strategy game elements ftw.

I played the first one. It's very cool.I was addicted to it for quite some time. Sort of Bejeweled meets Heroes of Might and Magic.
Need to look into the sequel as well.
I;m looking for more fantasy turned-based strategy titles for the PC. Something akin to Age Wonders, Etherlords, Disciples and HOMM? One guy on the RYM board recommended King's Bounty.
Any other suggestions?