Gamers Thread

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8E2IFbwO3w&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SluH8QVX72M&feature=fvw[/ame]

What's fun about MGS4? I don't like anything about it, it's a stealth game which isn't really designed as one. Everything feels so stiff, just grabbing someone from behind shouldn't be such a big deal. And it's not like I'm just bad at it or anything, I've completed MGS3, and didn't really enjoy it at all. Why can't anyone make a good stealth game? Splinter Cell sucks too. I remember playing the first Tenchu game on the PS1, and that was really fun, now it obviously looks like shit though. Haven't played any more Tenchu games.
Hitman is a really good stealth series, the stealth being focused on disguises instead of not being detected, which no one seems to be able to pull off.

try thief 1 and 2, they are really really good stealth games.

Just watched the new Final Fantasy XIII trailer. It looks incredible, especially since the main character isn't a blond white male, but for other reasons as well.

Can anyone recommend me a game with as strong of a storyline as Final Fantasy VII? Either for the Wii (which I'm guessing doesn't have that many if any at all), PS2, or Gamecube.

Persona 3 & 4 were both great rpgs in the later stretch of the ps2. The Breath of Fire game that came out was pretty cool but got somewhat annoying. You were kinda on a timer and every time you died you had to start the game over, but you at least still had your powers intact. Yet another was the Xenosaga series even though i'm quite certain that they only came out with the first 2 games and never finished the trilogy.

Go play legend of legaia, final fantasy 8(my favorite), star ocean or chrono trigger/cross. Emulate if needed, these are all classics

I actually got one of my best friends Persona 3 for Christmas, so I might borrow that from him... Though I should give him back PSO first.

@rms: The only game I haven't played is Legend of Legaia. I'll check it out.

And as far as comparing VII and VIII goes, I found the characters on VII to be much more easy to relate to. Every single one of them had some sort of struggle, Cloud and his identity, Red XIII and his father's history, Vincent and the death of Lucrecia, etc. I didn't get far enough into the game to be able to judge Zell and Selphie but they were serious turn-offs to me as far as VIII is concerned.

They're having a sale on paradox games, So I bought Crusader Kings, Victoria, and Europa Universalis 3, all complete for under 40. Anyone else play them? I'm going through CK right now and it's pretty fun (if a little slow)

And as far as comparing VII and VIII goes, I found the characters on VII to be much more easy to relate to. Every single one of them had some sort of struggle, Cloud and his identity, Red XIII and his father's history, Vincent and the death of Lucrecia, etc. I didn't get far enough into the game to be able to judge Zell and Selphie but they were serious turn-offs to me as far as VIII is concerned.

it's just a much darker, more mature, more memorable game in pretty much every way. better soundtrack, too.

only the story is completely convoluted and bullshit

sure 8 has the silly time compression deal, but I found myself more moved by the Rinoa/Squall story than anything in 7.

I liked the story in 8 better than 7. But other than that 7 was a better game. The whole Materia system was tons better than drawing magic in 8, which got kinda annoying to me. Although, the GF abilities were cool. Like using enc-none and Doomtrain's junction ability to combine magic with your weapons. All in all, I would rather play 8 because for what other reason would you play a rpg than for its story.

@Eligos : Persona 3 is a great game, but you can only control your character. They changed this in 4 so if that would be a problem for you I suggest you get the more recent addition.

Persona 3 is pretty terrible. Way too repetitive and relationship-sim-esque, not to mention a total weeaboo game. I liked it at first but quickly tired of the incredibly repetitive gameplay and general lameness.

Meh, I liked it more than yet another cliched rpg that the same story has been told since the snes days. Also liked the elimination of random encounters. And honestly I can't really think of another rpg worth getting on the ps2 other than Rogue Galaxy, which I should have suggested first. Shin Megame Tensei Digital Devil Saga I suppose.

Persona 3 is pretty terrible. Way too repetitive and relationship-sim-esque, not to mention a total weeaboo game. I liked it at first but quickly tired of the incredibly repetitive gameplay and general lameness.

Weeaboo meaning overly cutesy, I'm guessing? Like Ragnarok Online?

Shin Megame Tensei is a damn good series. Love the SNES games.

@Mort: I always remember Aerith's death as well as that scene on the third disc where Tifa and Cloud fall into the life stream and she explores his memories to be incredibly moving.

If you feel people shooting themselves in the head is cutesy then, yes I suppose it is. Also it's anime styled so what do you expect.

Nah, it's a game most otaku or weeaboo kids play just so they can say they lurved it and the music and relationships you develop are so kawaii :3 etc.

BTW I have the new SMT game on DS, the Devil Survivor one. It's good.

You troll this thread now too? Damn, I guess we have a Dig Dug freestyle to look forward to now.

V5: I just think its one of those things that you should experience if you enjoy rpgs, and yes SMT does kick ass.

The only real qualm I had was addressed in 4 and that was I could only control my character which was very annoying at times.

Been playing alot of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, its been well worth the wait. My favorite arcade fighting game of all time.