Gamers Thread

Hopefully I'll get Borderlands tomorrow. Hadn't even heard of this game until I happened to come across it on youtube last friday. Looks like a Fallout 3 with cel-shaded graphics and combat that's actually fun.

Yeah, regarding Fallout 3, when you can blast someone in the face with a shotgun from an arm's length, and they survive, combat is shit.

Anybody seen Project Zomboid? Looks like it has some serious potential. I played the demo and there's not much to do now but this could definitely be pretty damn good when finished.

Also, Borderlands is not at all like Fallout 3. If you're playing it alone, you will wander around a boring cell-shaded wasteland and kill boring cell-shaded monsters with stupid cell-shaded guns. It functions as a shooter, yes, but not as an RPG. The environments are boring, the characters are just quest-dispensers, and there's none of that awesome black humor. I was excited for it as well, but I was rather disappointed.

Also, if you don't like shooting someone point blank without getting a kill, then
1. I dunno what you'd expect from an RPG. Combat is statistic-based, meaning it's not intended as a completely realistic portrayal of what would happen in that situation.
2. Borderlands is not for you, as it does the same thing.
3. Level up more. When you're level AWESOME you can blast a dozen enemies from a mile away with a spork and their heads will fly off.

Getting pretty annoyed with the league of legends metagame lately, even more so than when I last mentioned it. Everyone is so hyper aggressive it's more like playing russian roulette than a computer game. They charge in, kill one another, and whoever comes out on top picks up the momentum. Repeat. Losing team surrenders at the 20min mark.

And Riot wants it like this. Way to cater to a bunch of zero attention span children.

i both love it and hate it. the former when winning and latter when losing of course :p. my favorite hero is Malphite. his ultimate is an awesome initiator for team fights and usually gives my team the upper hand. i build him as a hybrid tank/attacker.

can't contain my excitement for human revolution much longer, each day is fucking killing me argh 12 years ughhh

hopefully there will be tons of funny videos from the game continuing the spirit of the original being ridiculous. so far there have been a few but none as good as jc tenton and hell there are even some i just have found

if you don't love deus ex this will make no sense

Last edited by a moderator:
I am actually looking forward to Star Wars the Old Republic, I got the collectors edition pre ordered. Im also getting WH40k Space Marine for xbox, releasing sept 6. I still play Dawn of War every now and then, DOW2 is really lacking compared the the first...its so...small scale...and boring.

can't contain my excitement for human revolution much longer, each day is fucking killing me argh 12 years ughhh

hopefully there will be tons of funny videos from the game continuing the spirit of the original being ridiculous. so far there have been a few but none as good as jc tenton and hell there are even some i just have found
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmQpXpeiPFo

qBel3.jpg

You're welcome.

:lol: that's pretty fucking good, and the takedown videos/dancing videos are decently funny but i dunno, living up to all the ridiculous deus ex videos is quite task. now all i need is for the game to get cracked so i can fucking play it -_-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmQpXpeiPFo

I'm assuming you've seen the Recut and the Malkavian Mod?

Also, there's this:

Last edited by a moderator:
i both love it and hate it. the former when winning and latter when losing of course :p. my favorite hero is Malphite. his ultimate is an awesome initiator for team fights and usually gives my team the upper hand. i build him as a hybrid tank/attacker.

I like the poison champs. Singed, Teemo, and Cassieopea in particular.

I've been playing lots of Starcraft 2 lately. I usually am a Protoss fanboy, but recently I've been getting into Zerg. What I love about them is their fast recovery time after battle. If you have enough queens and hatcheries/lairs/hives, you can spawn your entire army back in the time it takes to make one unit. The weakest part of my game is I'm not aggressive enough. I typically sit by and take a couple assaults, then assemble a huge army and hit my enemy while they're recovering. I use mass hydralisks and use brood lords for getting rid of defensive structures and ground units with greater range than my hydralisks. I also support my brood lords with corruptors.

So...Deus Ex fucking rules. I'd say it's definitely as good as the first one. I feel like it could have been better in a lot of ways, but many of those are just nit-picking.

I've been enjoying the hell out of Operation Flashpoint: Red River. If the AI wasn't atrocious I'd call it amazing but as is it's merely a deeply flawed but ambitious and really cool shooter that makes you feel like a badass marine when you spot an enemy silhoutte on a ridgeline 400 yards off and drop him with a reflex sight. The scale of the operations is great, it really makes it feel like a real war. Unfortunately, the AI falls apart really hard in CQB situations, and the game is clearly just not meant to be played close-up like that.

Started playing Dead Island today. So far it's pretty good, though it feels unfinished and poorly ported to PC. The melee combat is enjoyable, but I feel like it'll get old in a few hours.

Also, has anyone else played Risen? I started it (about 30 mins in) and so far it's incredibly unpolished and bland. Not sure if I should stick with it, it reminds me of a less polished Arcania: Gothic 4, which was itself a very bland, forgettable action RPG but was at least quite polished. This thing got good reviews and such, but I'm not sure if I should stick with it.

I'm pretty disappointed with HR. I've a bunch of flaws with it but the big one that makes me not want to replay it is that it feels unfinished. There's barely any resolution to any of the character arcs in the game.