Gamers Thread

Try reloading from a previous save. I play Oblivion and Fallout on both the PC and PS3. I have had no troubles with Oblivion on the PS3 and have experienced less bugs and freezes with Fallout on the PS3 than on my PC.

most of fallout 3's freezes are actually pretty fixable actually. obviously there are some that are out there, but 2 things that are by far the biggest culprit for most and causes constant crashes are:

if you have a multicore processor or just sometimes randomly, you need to add a fix. fallout 3 has a serious problem with it, so no matter what processor you have, you might as well try the fix. you open up the .ini file (not sure if it's the one in the documents folder of the game folder, i think in new vegas you do the one in the game folder but for fallout 3 its the one in my documents, whichever is the main .ini) and at the bottom of the main first section (i think engine or game or something) you write
iNumHWThreads=2
it limits the game to using 2 cores of a processor or something like that, and somehow fixes problems for so many people its outrageous. i had constant crashes and framerate problems even on my gaming pc and with that it stopped crashing and had good performance (since fallout 3 is not extremely performance heavy now it's no difference).

the other fix is audio problems. there are many audio drivers and programs that fuck up fallout 3 somehow, and each fix can be different for different people, but just go look up fallout 3 pc audio fix and you'll find something. for me it was that my audio card driver program has this thing called GX mode which is like a high quality sound or something (and any form of this on a lot of sound cards/drivers fuck up fallout 3) so i simply turned it off and bam, no more crashing in oblivion or fallout 3 (it was so bad it actually prevented me from even playing oblivion since it would crash right when i started a new game).

there are a lot of bugs in bethesda games but they can usually be fixed, and it's always better to play on pc rather than consoles due to customization, control, performance, etc. i cant stand long loading times and on pc the loading times are cut down like crazy. i know skyrim will have a lot of bugs when its out, but considering i buy my absolute top anticipated games on launch day, i hope the bugs aren't too bad that i have to wait for a patch because its unplayable. it's always a few months after the game is out when its fully perfected (or in new vegas with the newest update, multiple years) which is a huge pain in the ass.

Try reloading from a previous save. I play Oblivion and Fallout on both the PC and PS3. I have had no troubles with Oblivion on the PS3 and have experienced less bugs and freezes with Fallout on the PS3 than on my PC.

I have done that but still froze in the same area. I', just going to continue the game and go back tot the point later on. Thanks for the help anyway.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6326393/valve-showing-dota-2-at-gamescom
The Bellevue, Washington-baseddeveloper today sent word that it will be holding a DOTA 2 tournament dubbed "The International" at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany August 17-21. This will mark the first time DOTA 2 has been shown publicly, and will be a lucrative experience for the winning team. The victorious squad will take home $1 million in cash.

The victorious squad will take home $1 million in cash.

Holy shit! League of Legends (not as much) and Heroes of Newerth are dead men walking.

I borrowed God of War and have been playing through that the past few days. It's a good game, and I'll certainly finish it, but I am sort of longing for more adventure/RPG elements. I get that the combat is supposed to be about building your own combos and all, but it's tough to work that out when there are no real tutorials or safe zones to hone your moves. Tougher when you are almost always up against several enemies. I'm not that hardcore of a gamer, so I usually clumsily bludgeon my way through. It's also quite linear, and even with that there have been few bosses. The first main hydra boss was the most fun, and that first level was probably the best one through the first 2/3rds of the game.

I know I'm phenomenally late to this one, but this strikes me as a very solid game, but a lot less essential than I was lead to believe. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver was a game I enjoyed more.

So I've been playing Mafia (the first one). Solid game, but...too much boring driving and the gunfights are really hard and fucking checkpoint saves and bad controls and hrm. Actually, it's not really a good game at all. But I keep playing anyways.

Seeing as the release date for Rage is pretty close now, I decided to take a deeper look into the game. It looks incredible! I'd seen videos of it before and, even though it looked good, it didn't really jump out at me. The attention to detail is astonishing. It looks like id has put tons of effort into this. If it wasn't for the fact that Gears of War 3 is just over the horizon, Rage would be my top priority at the moment.

This isn't the most impressive video of the game, but look at the way the little spiderbot that appears at 2:09 interacts with the environment. Isn't that awesome?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been playing Mafia (the first one). Solid game, but...too much boring driving and the gunfights are really hard and fucking checkpoint saves and bad controls and hrm. Actually, it's not really a good game at all. But I keep playing anyways.

The combat is ridic easy, especially once you get the tommy gun which should be used in 1/2-fire bursts as a sniper. The only hard part is the racing level, but that's only if unpatched (which is nigh impossible without the patch). The driving is a lot more fun if you can just take in the beautiful low-resolution-texture scenery and the sounds of grandmothers screaming beneath the tires of your vehicle.

finishing up Oblivion and then modding the shit out of morrowind and replaying it. haven't played that since i was 12 and just killed people and stole their house (though i did complete the main quest). So fucking pumped to replay morrowind if i can get all the mods working but not looking forward to all the hassle of getting that shit to work especially considering how old it is so there'll be so many compatibility issues. bethesda overload before skyrim o_O

The combat is ridic easy, especially once you get the tommy gun which should be used in 1/2-fire bursts as a sniper. The only hard part is the racing level, but that's only if unpatched (which is nigh impossible without the patch). The driving is a lot more fun if you can just take in the beautiful low-resolution-texture scenery and the sounds of grandmothers screaming beneath the tires of your vehicle.

Not sure what you played on, but combat is pretty hard for me on PC. I plow through most shooters fairly easily. I'm not a god or anything but I'm pretty decent at video games. But fuck...the aiming is super annoying in this. Especially the way he won't fire from behind a car and you have to go out in the open and the way he requires a click to raise the weapon before firing, meaning that I keep getting blasted while trying to raise my weapon. All this and the unforgiving damage model lead to some fun, intense firefights...the problem is when they make you kill like 50 dudes before the checkpoint. I got stuck for a while at the airport mission and now I'm stuck again on the dock shootout. The parking lot shootout was great - short and fast and fun. This is too long with no checkpoint. It's just constantly dreading getting shot and having to start over again, followed by getting shot and having to start over again.

Not sure what you played on, but combat is pretty hard for me on PC. I plow through most shooters fairly easily. I'm not a god or anything but I'm pretty decent at video games. But fuck...the aiming is super annoying in this. Especially the way he won't fire from behind a car and you have to go out in the open and the way he requires a click to raise the weapon before firing, meaning that I keep getting blasted while trying to raise my weapon. All this and the unforgiving damage model lead to some fun, intense firefights...the problem is when they make you kill like 50 dudes before the checkpoint. I got stuck for a while at the airport mission and now I'm stuck again on the dock shootout. The parking lot shootout was great - short and fast and fun. This is too long with no checkpoint. It's just constantly dreading getting shot and having to start over again, followed by getting shot and having to start over again.

PC, of course, the only tr00 gaming platform. I've never had a problem with Tommy lowering his weapon after being shot. Just keep clicking or find cover. The dock part (I assume you're talking about You Lucky Bastard) isn't easy, but it shouldn't be too difficult. There are at least three medicine cabinets in that level and with vehicles all around, you shouldn't even need to worry about being shot, except maybe by the snipers (who you obviously must either avoid or snipe off yourself). You can run over about 90% of the enemies in that level.

So Apparently there is going to be an announcement soon for TimeSplitters 4.

This I cannot fucking wait!

I've lost hours of my life playing TimeSplitters 2! Just for trying to platinum Star every stat in the game, and platinum staring all challenges (never did I think I was missing 6 or 7).

Cool, Timesplitters 2 is probably my favorite console FPS. I just hope it doesn't turn into Timesplitters of Duty Modern casualwarfare 563

The original Diablo is much better, except for people that think Baal grinding is good entertainment.

The original Diablo is much better, except for people that think Baal grinding is good entertainment.

The atmosphere of the first game is a lot better, but the gameplay, player versus player and variety of characters and skill spreads in the second game is significantly better, although grinding levels is not entertaining. I can only do it in small doses.

My god. You are the single most contrary person I've ever encountered. Diablo 2 improved on the original in every single way imaginable...more classes, more involved skill system, streamlined combat, basically every single facet of the game was improved.