Gamers Thread

I think they could've done so much more with the single player. It's way too linear and most of the interesting parts are quick time events and doesn't give you much in the way of choosing how to execute a mission. They don't even let you fly a plane.

I agree, if a game was meant to be multiplayer I don't really want to be paying that much for just a multiplayer game. Call of Duty MW3 is more expensive, and I'm refusing to buy it. It's just become a cash cow for Activision with the 1000000 sequels they've released.

For now I'm enjoying the multiplayer aspect of the game and will probably get my money's worth through that. But I really can't wait for Skyrim and D3.

Ended up signing up for WoW for a year so I can get Diablo 3 for free when it comes out in addition to Mists of Pandaria beta access. Not a bad deal considering I would probably keep my subscription active anyways with 4.3 on the horizon.

I just bought several games on Steam due to the sale...

Left 4 Dead 2
Trapped Dead
Dead Horde
Borderlands

$24 in total, not too shabby. Also, if you like zombie games I would highly recommend Dead Island which is also on sale.

@Mort- I had considered it, but I'm pretty occupied with Dead Island right now, which should hold me over until Skyrim, which segways into Diablo 3 and finally Guild Wars 2. It's a very good time for gaming right now.

It's more than that. I simply don't like multiplayer. I like to be immersed in games, to dig into the story and the world, etc. I'm a huge fan of games like Mass Effect, Morrowind, etc, where there's tons to explore and you can get into your role. You get none of that in multiplayer.
Additionally, multiplayer is basically the exact same game over and over again. And playing against live humans isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes you're evenly matched and it's great. Far more often they either destroy you before you can react or they run around looking at the ground while you just dominate. Not to mention the aggravations of griefing, voice chat, etc.
Every once in a while a game comes along that gets me into its multiplayer. I had a brief affair with the Insurgency mod for Half-Life last year and I've always had a soft spot for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. But on the whole I play games because they make me feel good and multiplayer doesn't make me feel good. It tends to make me feel bored or angry.

i see where you're coming from. i too sometimes get into fits of uncontrollable nerdrage in multiplayer, whether it's a fighting game, FPS or RTS/MOBA. it's an unpleasant feeling, all that hatred and frustration.

but on the other extreme there are those moments of pure glory and awesomeness when you vanquish an opponent in a hard-fought battle and you teabag him, send him derogatory gloating messages, etc. and i have quite a bit more of those because i rule (well not at FPS i suck at those). that's what i play multiplayer for. and i also kinda enjoy pwning helpless noobs who have no chance lol.

Diablo 3 looks great but there needs to be an option to turn off the happy fucking glow around everything.

like in this picture some guy made...
(pic)

and we also need impaled naked bodies and topless succubi like in Diablo 1.
(vidya)

the graphics are dated in the video but the grim and gritty atmosphere is what needs to be recaptured in Diablo 3 and i dont think it will be. i'll still buy the game tho.

I agree with your complaints about the graphics, I was one of the more vocal ones when the new art direction was first announced. I still think all the flashy colors are bollocks, considering the dark gothic atmosphere of the previous games in the series, but still it looks like a great game. I can't wait to play.

but on the other extreme there are those moments of pure glory and awesomeness when you vanquish an opponent in a hard-fought battle and you teabag him, send him derogatory gloating messages, etc. and i have quite a bit more of those because i rule (well not at FPS i suck at those). that's what i play multiplayer for. and i also kinda enjoy pwning helpless noobs who have no chance lol.

See, this is exactly why I don't like multiplayer. Either you're enjoying it or they're enjoying it, but it's very unlikely that you're both enjoying it. I could play constantly in order to hone my skills so that I could wind up enjoying it most of the time...or I could just play singleplayer, where I can reliably enjoy myself.

I don't like multiplayer for the same reason I don't like team sports. Sometimes you're just more adept than the other players, but you can't make their decisions for them. Sometimes the other player is better than you, and you just think "god, I suck."

I despise Starcraft II multiplayer unless it's with an experienced friend who can give me tips. Usually I end up with a partner who's either much better than me, terribly inept, doesn't understand that we are on a team, uses cheap methods to win, or some combination of the previously mentioned characteristics.

i only play 1v1 on SC2 and i always incorporate cheese tactics into my strategy as zerg because we suck at endgame vs terran and protoss if the battle drags on too long.

oh and btw

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's understandable. Terran is overpowered.

Edit: There's a build I use with Zerg that's pretty effective against all races. The only problem is it takes a while to develop. Basically, you have a bunch of brood lords (I think 24 is a good number), a bunch of hydralisks (around 24) and as many mutalisks as you can have. This creates a pretty much unstoppable attack force.