Gamers Thread

I don't see what all the hype is about. I've found that FPS games are (usually) more liked for being an integral part of teenage boy culture than for their actual value.

You mean they're liked for their value as a social activity. There's a difference. And yes, I'm sure a lot of people are buying Modern Warfare 3 specifically so they can play it with their friends. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't see what all the hype is about. I've found that FPS games are (usually) more liked for being an integral part of teenage boy culture than for their actual value.

So it isn't because people find entertainment in violence and competition?

Anytime something says Battlefield or Call of Duty people/kids are going to have a boner for it and stay out for midnight releases even if a commercial or preview has not been shown. If I were in charge of those companies I'd really like to promote a new Battlefield/COD without showing any gameplay footage. I would just make "Games" where all you do is look at the main menu.
Unless I'm mistaken, I see what you're saying. IMO a lot of people seem to buy the games just because it's "A NEW COD" or "A NEW BF!!!11"

As for FPS games as a whole, I have to disagree with your statement.

I'm not denying that people find them entertaining. It's like what WAIF said, people for the most part buy the popular ones so they can play them with their friends. I don't think it's necessarily bad. It's just not my cup of tea.

So it isn't because people find entertainment in violence and competition?

Anytime something says Battlefield or Call of Duty people/kids are going to have a boner for it and stay out for midnight releases even if a commercial or preview has not been shown. If I were in charge of those companies I'd really like to promote a new Battlefield/COD without showing any gameplay footage. I would just make "Games" where all you do is look at the main menu.
Unless I'm mistaken, I see what you're saying. IMO a lot of people seem to buy the games just because it's "A NEW COD" or "A NEW BF!!!11"
That's because those series have been of consistently high quality. If Motorhead release a new album, I'd feel comfortable buying it without listening to tracks first, because I know what I'm gonna get.
Of course, the dark side of this is that there's a whole genre of games where you have two weapons, grenades, regenerating health, and sometimes useless AI squadmates, and you take cover behind chest-high walls and shoot the same brainless enemies over and over again in a handful of different urban settings while manly men scream at you to check your corners, get supressing fire on that MG, take out those RPGs, etc.

I wonder if Replicants will be able to copy worker units. I hope so. Then I'll be able to play all three races at once with Protoss again like I did in the first game.

Oh. Right. I keep forgetting how great the time difference is. I always think of it as around three hours because I picture the Atlantic as being as wide as the United States. I don't know why I do that. Innate American geographic disability, probably.

Skyrim has already been released in the Netherlands. LEAK LEAK LEAK LEAK LEAK.

Modern Warfare to plug the gap, but still...also, the PC version of LA Noire leaked apparently...I'll get to that eventually.

I'll be pre-ordering Skyrim tonight!

I don't think I've ever been more excited for a game to come out. Their hasn't been one game this year that really held my interest, so I hope this doesn't disappoint.

I'm feeling roughly the level of excitement I felt when Oblivion came out, except that I couldn't play that at launch...so I guess more.

My girlfriend asked if she could hang out at my place and watch while I played it. I told her I'd prefer to be alone with it. I wasn't joking.

I totally missed MW3 coming out. Played MW2 last night and noticed that everyone on my friend list is playing MW3. I feel abandoned and alone.

I'll hopefully be getting my torrented copy of Skyrim Friday. I'd love to pay for it, but I just don't have the funds. I figure I'll play it free for now and then buy a key later. Elder Scrolls games aren't known for being short and non-replayable after all.