Gamers Thread

One bone to pick with Skyrim is that I miss hitting the tab button and seeing my warrior, character, avatar whatever you call it; because then I could see the armor that he was wearing and/or just how cool I made my guy look.

Why the fuck did they take that out?

Bahh...

Yeah, I really miss that too. I feel like I barely ever see my character now, even though you can change PoVs to look at ver.

I fucking love the game though, and I was one of the people who *did not* like Oblivion. I don't know how it addresses the feeling of none of my actions really affecting anything that I had in Oblivion but even if it doesn't it's still awesome and super fun and atmospheric.

I restarted the game tonight because I was unhappy with my build; playing a character who was great at everything worked really well in Morrowind and Oblivion but I realized there was just no way I would be able to get all the perks I wanted. I'm now playing a pure thief, an Imperial named Aris the Meek. There are a lot of things to do differently, so although I lost 12 hours of progress, I'm still having fun.

Been feeling quite depressed lately and Skyrim has really helped.

Far Cry
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Mafia
STALKER: Call of Pripyat

Add Deus Ex and Baldur's Gate II if by past decade you mean 200x.

I just hit level 16 in Skyrim, and I'm having a blast. Conjuration as a tree is so damn amazing, especially when you go with both atronach and undead routes. Right now the fire Atro just fucks shit up, and is part of my main dragon wrecking crew (fire atro + good bow + some type of cover to strafe around = murdered dragon).

I'm actually having a hard time leveling Illusion and Alteration though. For alteration, I'll lob mage-lights in dark places when I'm just walking around. It leveled up my skill once, but now it seems to not do anything. Likewise I've been using Clairvoyance for the illusion tree, but it seems like it's not giving me any points for using the skills.

Conjuration + One hand = best shit ever. Seriously, bind a conjured weapon, take all the one handed damage perks (damage is like +80% or +100%), take the backstab stealth perks (x15 with a dagger), dual wield perks (+40% speed/+50% damage) and then just sneak up on someone and send them flying with a power attack that would crack the heavens. I can't wait to be able to resurrect higher level creatures. It's going to be beautiful watching a resurrected giant or mammoth go against a dragon.

I'm gonna go conjuration with my next character. Been playing the bosmer sneaky archer up to level 11 (worked yesterday :/) and going to make a breton heavy armor/shield/1h/conjuration/restoration. summon shit then tank away.

Starcraft II
Bioshock

And that's all I can think of because I don't play many PC games.

Far Cry
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Mafia
STALKER: Call of Pripyat

Add Deus Ex and Baldur's Gate II if by past decade you mean 200x.

Yeah, I mean literally from 2001 to now. The only computer games I have that were released in that time frame are Diablo II, Warcraft III, Age of Mythology, and Rome: Total War.

My dreams of becoming a master thief in Skyrim have been dashed by a retarded 90% cap on the probability of successfully pickpocketing someone. 90% is not enough to make pickpocketing reliable and the consequences of failing are just too great.

Level 3 in Skyrim so far. I like it a lot more than Oblivion. I'm going the dual-wield warrior route and enchanting my weapons.

The best computer games from the past decade.

Go.

Well, gonna throw out there: Morrowind, STALKER: Shadow Of Chernobyl, GTA 4, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dark Messiah Of Might And Magic, Mass Effect 1 and 2, and Crysis 2. Obviously my tastes tend towards relatively non-linear first person games. Starcraft 2 also deserves mention, and I'm a big fan of Knights of Honor and Crusader Kings.

Initial impressions of Skyrim:
Complaints:
Lots of reused animations. Still yanks you to third person to sit down for some reason, and if you equip 2 swords only one of them shows up on your character when they're sheathed. Characters also still move kinda glide-y, and the lack of a stair climbing animation is almost criminal. And of course clipping galore. Also, I do not at all like the finishing moves. They lack variety, yank you out of first person half the time, and look pretty bad.
Lots of quest triggers are faulty. For example, dialogue options show up that presumably indicate you overheard something that you never overheard. And in some cases quests fail to update - this happened to me when I went to Rorikstad for the A Night To Remember quest...nothing happened after I talked to the guy. I was SOL until I bumped into someone in Whiterun who asked me about a ring, so I went to a place and killed a monster and suddenly it checked off the "Go to Rorikstad and do this" objective. That whole quest was really poorly done overall.
Speaking of quests, the Radiant Story system works really well to keep gameplay varied, but it means you completely lack any sense of context for the places you go to. I would absolutely love a little bit of history about the places I go...really, anything.
The non-quest-related NPCs have less personality this time around. A lot of them you can't speak to at all, you just press E and they say a line and walk away. It's a far cry from Morrowind, where you could ask anyone you ran into about pretty much anything. I really liked that flexibility, although with so many more voice actors I suppose it'd require a lot more dialogue. My biggest complaint in this area is you can no longer ask guards for directions. Sometimes I need some fucking directions. Just let me ask the guards about the towns. As it is they're often somewhat faceless places at first glance. Getting a bit of exposition from the guards would be nice.
Not sure if there's much more I'm angry about...I feel like the focus of the game has shifted substantially. Oblivion was all about creating a world and letting it do its thing while the player watched. Which wasn't great, but it meant things tended to have a certain personality they sometimes lack in Skyrim. Skyrim is somewhat more old school - everything ends up in a dungeon crawl. The dungeon crawls are good, but the fact that I spend almost all my time in them detracts from the believability of the world. The coolest parts are the quests that don't involve narrow corridors and hundreds of faceless bandits.

Now that I've let that out...Skyrim is fucking awesome. The world is beautiful, the exploration is great, the dungeons are much more interesting and varied, the combat is a thousand times better than Oblivion, dual-wielding swords is awesome, the voice acting is damn good, and the art direction is top-notch. I've had the game since Friday evening and I've already put in over 24 hours.

A few more complaints:
A bunch of the textures are too damn low-res.
Making carry weight, underwater breathing ability, running speed, and jumping height standard for all characters and impossible to alter makes my character feel less unique and personalized.
FUCKING LOW RES TEXTURES. Seriously, guys, it's almost 2012. Get with the program. A lot of this stuff could be Oblivion.

But seriously, I'm loving this. Like, really loving this. A lot.
Dumping bodies in rivers? Best thing ever. Watching them go sailing over waterfalls? Even better.
And of course, fighting my way through a pack of bandits to the top of a tower, only to encounter their chief...and promptly yell BOOSH and send him flying off a ledge to the ground hundreds of feet below is as good as it fucking gets.

I have Half-Life 2 for X Box. I'm actually playing through it again right now. IIRC there's not much difference between the console and PC versions. However, feel free to keep the recommendations coming. I've been out of the gaming loop for a pretty damn long while. Also, is it just me or is there nothing to play any more outside of first person shooters? Is this a byproduct of the fact that they're the easiest games to play and enjoy in a multiplayer setting? Is this consequential focus on the multiplayer perspective having any notable impact on the overall quality of the fundamental nature of games today? I can't really comment on that since I haven't played many (any) recent games, but I'd be interested in what others would say about that.

I would choose PC over consoles for any shooter simply for the better controls, but if you don't mind the gamepad then they should be more or less the same.

I'm pretty sure your new laptop can run basically anything.
Give Amnesia: The Dark Descent a try...Lovecraftian horror. I didn't love it myself, but a lot of people rave about it.

As far as shooters...yeah, they've definitely dominated the market big-time. Part of it is that first-person is a much easier perspective to get into, part of it is the multiplayer aspect, and part of it is that first person lends itself to gameplay (shooting foreigners) that seems less nerdy than other genres.

If you want strategy games...I don't play a whole lot of that stuff, but the Total War and Dawn of War series have been very well received, as well as Starcraft 2.

WAIF, I do have Rome: Total War, and I did enjoy it quite a bit. The barrages of arrows really fucked with my computer though, even on substandard settings. Maybe I'll replay that game once I get my laptop.

Try its successors. I have Medieval 2 and it's quite good. I've also heard the new Japanese themed one is really good.
From the specs you posted, your laptop is more powerful than my PC in pretty much every way and mine can handle literally any game out there at top settings (the exceptions being Battlefield 3 and The Witcher 2, both of which run fine at high).

It does seem like there's been a lack of notable strategy games lately. I recommend everyone check out Crusader Kings 2, although of course a game of that depth, complexity, and time-consumption is not for everyone.

Also lacking: space games. I mean, there's plenty of space marines in our shooters, and there's Mass Effect, but I want another Freelancer, or an X3 that's actually playable.