Gamers Thread

I'll definitely look into some of the games mentioned here once I get my laptop and it's all set up and I have some more expendable cash to blow on games.

Back to Half-Life 2: Seriously, why does everybody have watermelons?

Took a break from Skyrim today to play through MW3's campaign. It was exactly what I expected, more or less. Would have liked more stealth missions. Other than that...I feel it's a bit weaker than the last two games despite the higher stakes of the plot...a lot of it is that it suffers from having the intensity on 11 at all times. But it's a very slight problem. I am satisfied. And of course most people don't give a shit about the campaign anyways.

Tomorrow, back to Skyrim.

Suddenly level 22

508IS.jpg

Full set, fully upgraded, two upgraded swords

Where the hell did the time go?

What is that? I'm level 27 now and I haven't seen that...dragon armor?
I kinda want to make some, but I feel like it'd take a ridiculous amount of effort to level smithing up far enough.

Maxed out my character's one-handed. Since the only other skill I regularly use is light armor (64 now), I won't be leveling up much more unless I change my play style...but I plan on creating a separate evil stealth character and I feel like the enemies I'm up against are too powerful for low level magic attacks...I think my best bet is to level up conjuration by summoning bound weapons and then killing monsters with my awesome one-handed, until I can get enough magica to summon sweetass monsters, then level up my other magic skills by practicing on the enemies while they're distracted with my summoned monsters until I level up enough and have enough magica to hold my own as a mage. Not a perfect plan, but it's the best I can think of.

Yeah it's the Daedric set, which is the best heavy armor in the game. You have to level smithing up to 90 and invest the right perk points to be able to make it. Advancing in smithing isn't difficult, every item you craft gives you the same amount of experience to level up the skill, so you can just keep making iron daggers or leather bracers. It just takes a lot of gold (which is easy to get anyway) and a little time. Levelling up smithing that fast also gives you a lot of experience to level up your character too.

Just hit level 40 today, and maxed out conjuration and illusion. On top of that I am a bard, I've sacked a city and crushed a rebellion, and I run the god damn college of magic. Fuck yes.

So far all of the quest have been great, but I ran into a few that were just wonky and downright poorly done. One of the daedric quests was utter shit for me (started great, then it devolved into randomness. I left, came back later, and magically the quest just completed itself with me skipping a few steps - I didn't even know what was going on. The skin for this specific prince was also just a reused daedric lord skin, which sucks. I'm not sure why they didn't give Sanguine his own skin, they did for Sheogorath (who looks and sounds amazing by the way).

Another awful quest was the last mission for the east empire trading company in Whiterun. I'm not sure if the enemies were supposed to scale with me, but literally - me sending a companion & a daedric lord out to fight on my behalf while I nail the fucks from behind should not result in a five minute fight. It's was literally three on one and this low ranking bandit was not only holding ground, but sometimes winning. And this seaside castle was filled with these types of people. I had a bandit jump in the water, and while underwater fire lightning at me. I had an orc with a battle axe swim at me... ABOVE GROUND. There were a lot of glitches in that quest, and it really felt rushed/half-assed.

Other than those though, every quest has been great so far. I've literally pumped two days worth of time into this game, and I haven't even touched the main quest yet.

Thoughts:
God damn the bow is a beast in this game. Max out the damage perks, get the 3x stealth bonus for it, and watch people drop like fucking flies - and I haven't even gotten into the upper tier perks for the bow yet (which include a 50% chance to stagger instantly and paralysis).

As a non-armor wearing magic character, I have to say that it is damn hard to raise my one handed skill. It's gotten to the point where my x15 backstab with the dagger (plus +60%damage modifier for one-handed) isn't taking people down. In one of the missions I'll mention below, it barely took 15% of a guys life. It's like everything changed as soon as I hat the late 30's/40. Before people would succumb to my blade, and now in most special world areas that you can only get to via quest - it doesn't work at all.

I love how magic was implemented, but I really wish there were more spells in the game. The illusion tree literally feels like it has four spells (calm, fury, fear and invisible), and the conjuration tree eventually gets cluttered with dated spells. I haven't gotten to try the master level illusion spells yet, so hopefully there is something cool there. At the end of conjuration, I've found there are only two real summons that are used - the daedric lord and the storm atronach. Although the thrall version of the spells is cool, it gets burdensome for a sneaky character - one hit with anything and the beasts run amok. On top of that, they make a lot of noise- eventually you will get tired of the electricity and shifting lightning that surrounds those damn storm atronachs. Besides that though, every other summon is usually destroyed within seconds (sometimes the storm atro and the lord are too). I really wanted the dead thrall spell to be awesome. I mean, what's better than a permanent zombie? Problem is, half the people I want to raise can't be resurrected! Zombie giant? not on Bethesda's watch! Perma-zombie bandit leader? No way Jose, that guy was just way to powerful. Pitiful adept necromancer who died to one arrow in the shoulder? Sure, why not, not like I could use that spell on anything worth it.

Bound weapons area awesome, but I'm really surprised there was no bound dagger/boundwarhammer/etc. Bound bow is amazing, especially since it has its own spectral ammunition.

I like the armor in the game, and I'm glad that all these random bandits aren't all running around in daedric/dragon gear, but out of all the people I've killed, I haven't seen any bandits wear anything greater than fur or hide. Same thing goes for the mages in the game - it's always a black or blue robe. That sucks.

Sometimes dragon bones get caught in the world geometry and go spastic/batshit insane. Although it is awesome that they persist, it gets annoying when I'm walking around Solitude and there are three dragon skeletons trying to wave me down.

Dragon priests - fuck yes. I have two of your faces, I will get more!

So fuck my stealthy archer. Archery is fun, but not so much in dungeons and bosses. Stealth is great, but it makes everything take so much longer.

Check this new combo I'm playing and LOVING.

Conjuration
Enchanting
Restoration
Heavy Armor
1 handed

with a dash in shields and speechcraft.

You summon monsters that runs amok, melee shit, switch between charged and bound weapons to get souls to replenish the charges, and are hard as fuck to kill.

That is an asshole image.

Figured out how to power-level my smithing. Made myself some dragon armor and enhanced it, now I have close to 400 armor with only like 68 light armor. Mostly been questing for dragon shouts. Just sacked Whiterun for the Stormcloaks. Not thrilled about how that played out.
The Blood on the Ice quest is horribly bugged. It's all fucked up for me...I picked it up walking past the crime scene the way you're supposed to, but then I walked past the killer's house and it skipped right to that step. Now there's no way to progress it. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
In other news, I am now absurdly powerful. Walked into an imperial camp. They all attacked me. I just let them hit me while I murdered them one by one. By the time I was done massacring them I still had like 70% life. I murder dragons in seconds flat.
Is this the experience for other people who've capped level 25 or so?

I'm around level 25 or so and I'm getting my ass handed to me by simple bandits. I guess it's because I gained most of those levels from non-combat skills like pickpocketing.

Pickpocketing ftw. I'm only about 4 hours into the game so far (been busy with school, work, and photography assignments every day since Friday :|) but once I get home from school tomorrow that will change...

It's such a good game. I'm glad I have no school or anything, just lots of work...no assignments though...that = more Skyrim time!!

Beat the main quest tonight. Ending was reasonably clutch.
I'm starting to feel like the quest design is actually worse than Oblivion. Like, the dungeon design is obvious much better, but the quests...
Obviously most of the radiant story missions are just "go to dungeon x and kill/retrieve enemy/item y." Makes sense. But a lot of the primary missions are like that as well. I've only done the Companions, Stormcloak, and Dragonborn questlines. Perhaps the quests are more interesting for the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, and College of Winterhold. But certainly most of the random quests you pick up tend towards dungeon crawling. And honestly I'd feel a lot better about said dungeon crawling if there was a little more backstory.

Also, I'm really starting to be bothered by the bad animations. It honestly just seems lazy. At first I cut them slack for not having better animations for some things because they must need to do a lot of animations or whatever, but honestly...not really. There are a lot of problems with the AI and animations that really ruin shit for me. The somber atmosphere of Kodlak's funeral is ruined when Aela pulls a torch out of her ass and waves it at the pyre, which instantly starts burning, and the tension of the Jarl of Whiterun's surrender to Ulfric is ruined when a random stormcloak wanders through the hall, sees the dead Whiterun guards, declares he's going to "find who did this" (hint: it was him), and starts searching for the culprit.

Skyrim is still a fantastic game, but they're getting closer and closer to perfection and it's making the glaring defects even more glaring.

I mean, I can handle a guard watching me come out of the apothecary and recommending that if I need a potion I should go to the apothecary. But when I walk into the general goods store, the assistant cheerful declares to no one in particular that he works for Belethor at the general goods store.

I would honestly love it if Bethesda made the next game predominantly non-voice acted and focused on taking advantage of that to make every character have unique non-shitty dialogue that makes sense in context.

Also, who hired Arnold Schwarzenegger as a voice actor? At first it was awesome, but then it turned out that he voices almost everyone in the game.

God damn the main quest is bugged as fuck. Fuck you Esbern!!

Hit level 43 today, enemies are still retardedly OP'd. Combat is kind of boring for me as a summoner. Conjure two creatures, let them kill everything. They usually always kill everything, I don't even have to pick anyone off. If one dies then I just backrun while raising another in front of me. What's funny is all by stealth and backstab abilities seem to be null and void. The x15 backstab perk only kills 50% of the time, and when it doesn't, even when I hit with a critical it only dents an enemies health by like 5-8%. What the utter fuck. I want to make a new character... but god damn do i not want to re-explore the map. I've got so many icons displayed, it would be a pain in the ass to get them all back. Plus all the shouts... granted, none of them really work against enemies anymore (disarm ALWAYS fails now), but it's the principle of the thing. I was going to just end this character and finish the main quest, but now that's bugged/glitched to shit.

Edit:
Pickpocketing ftw. I'm only about 4 hours into the game so far (been busy with school, work, and photography assignments every day since Friday :|) but once I get home from school tomorrow that will change...

Let's switch lives, you can have all my Skyrim playing time, and i'll finally have something else to do.

Edit II:
And FUCK essential npc's. If I go on a god damn fireball killing spree with my two dead thrall Thalmor wizards, I don't want to see half of the fucking population stagger, catch their breath, and then get up and attack me again.

Man, these last couple of days have been a blur...I've just been getting baked and playing Skyrim in a pitch black room. It's probably the best game I've ever played while high (which I previously thought was the Battlefield series). I get so much more immersed in the game that I feel "bad" whenever I continue the game while sober. By the way, I can definitely say that anyone who isn't playing this game as an archer is missing out big time. I tried both melee and magic and it simply doesn't come close to the same satisfaction and tension that you get from playing an archer IMO.

The essential NPCs thing really has to go. Or at least be improved. I mean, after doing the stormcloak campaign I traveled to a few legion camps I'd previously discovered and killed the soldiers there. Except that their commanders were unkillable. I'm nearly positive that's because they're essential for the Imperial campaign. In which case they should have stopped being essential the moment I joined the Stormcloaks. FFS, Bethesda. And what happened to the whole "if you kill a quest-essential NPC someone else will take his place" thing? Are these captains that irreplacable?