Gamers Thread

Today they are. They didn't start out that way, from Wolfenstein 3D to Goldeneye. But that's exactly my point. They're geared for multiplayer, pick-up-and-play fun, which is fine for what it is, but it's hard to deny that this mentality has had an impact in the way games are made today, and that's not generally what I look for in games, when I do play. I don't even have the latest consoles though and only recently got a laptop that is even capable of playing games made in the past decade, so that should say how much of a gamer I am.

Dak: I have no hangups on graphics, so I'll look into that eventually. I bought a bunch of games on Steam around christmas that I've still never even opened though, so it'll probably be a while.

All right man you're crazy. What killed the FPS genre is the idea of graphics being better than gameplay. This all started when COD and BF1942 first came out years ago and then half life/valve decided to respond with Source. Goldeneye you cannot compare as it was on the N64 and never could be played online and games like that and Perfect Dark were really fun with multiplayer

I didn't say anything about the FPS genre dying. I do agree that the drive for having the prettiest looking game on the market is also a major factor in the way that games are made today in general, not just FPSs, but obviously the single largest influence on FPS games of today is the multiplayer system. And I mean this goes right down to the sheer number of FPS games. It seems like most games today fit this mold.

I'm a fan of multiplayer games, but forced implementation a la the requirement for the Mass Effect 3 ending is just plain silly. When I play something like Mass Effect, Skyrim, Insert a bajillion RPG titles here, I DON'T want a multiplayer facet. Its more time taken away from the part of the game that is important to itself.

i see what you mean, but if it's any consolation you probably won't have to grind that much and gain the highest multiplayer level to get the best ending, maybe just win a couple co-op missions. even then, all that the "best ending" will give you is a few different cutscenes, lol.
True but irrelevant. The point is that they have taken a purely singleplayer experience and forced a multiplayer component into it. I'm fine with games like Modern Warfare, where they have separate multiplayer and singleplayer modes, but Bioware/EA have jammed the multiplayer right into the singleplayer game. Worse than that, it seems pretty clear they did that to get more people to play the multiplayer and buy their stupid booster packs. That's selling out on a level I've never seen before.

Also, day one DLC. Seriously? Remember when companies would support their games after launch for free? Valve still does. In this case it seems pretty clear that they took a character that was initially part of the core ME3 game, stripped him out, and made him cost extra. That is utter horseshit.

If you went to see Expendables 2, only to find that Jason Statham wasn't in the movie unless you paid an extra $10, you'd walk out on that shit. How have we gotten to the point where this is acceptable? Expansion packs and DLC used to consist of new content that would expand upon the core game, not content that was cut out by marketers. And fuck these pre-order bonuses. That to me says that companies know their games are crap and so they have to get people to shell out for them before the reviewers they couldn't buy off trash their game.

I should clarify that I like a lot of the games being made today, but I'm absolutely disgusted by the way games are being sold.

True but irrelevant. The point is that they have taken a purely singleplayer experience and forced a multiplayer component into it. I'm fine with games like Modern Warfare, where they have separate multiplayer and singleplayer modes, but Bioware/EA have jammed the multiplayer right into the singleplayer game. Worse than that, it seems pretty clear they did that to get more people to play the multiplayer and buy their stupid booster packs. That's selling out on a level I've never seen before.

Also, day one DLC. Seriously? Remember when companies would support their games after launch for free? Valve still does. In this case it seems pretty clear that they took a character that was initially part of the core ME3 game, stripped him out, and made him cost extra. That is utter horseshit.

If you went to see Expendables 2, only to find that Jason Statham wasn't in the movie unless you paid an extra $10, you'd walk out on that shit. How have we gotten to the point where this is acceptable? Expansion packs and DLC used to consist of new content that would expand upon the core game, not content that was cut out by marketers. And fuck these pre-order bonuses. That to me says that companies know their games are crap and so they have to get people to shell out for them before the reviewers they couldn't buy off trash their game.

I should clarify that I like a lot of the games being made today, but I'm absolutely disgusted by the way games are being sold.

While I agree that alot of the tactics used to day are largely vomit inducing, it also has to be understood that games are costing much more to make these days than they used to, while still costing around the same as they had ages ago. A lot of the reason behind publishers forcing devs to do such is to recoup for other titles they have. Seeing as your average AAA title needs around 2m sales to recoup these days, there are alot of games that would be able to be made otherwise now, and even more dev studios would be shut down.

Valve is a wonderful exception, but because of their history and how they have set themselves up with Steam, they don't have to deal with a publisher.

Well yeah, that's the basic root of the problem. But I think it's been established that games like Skyrim can make money despite high development costs without fucking the customers for all they're worth.
Still, the only way this problem will go away is either clear, decisive, collective action by gamers (unlikely) or a reduction in development costs...given that there's a new console cycle coming, one that promises even greater graphical quality, this seems unlikely in the immediate future.
On the other hand, more and more independent developers are able to produce creative games with fully acceptable graphics, such as Overgrowth, Mount&Blade, and Evochron: Mercenary, so that's probably where the best games are gonna be coming from for the near future.

it also has to be understood that games are costing much more to make these days than they used to, while still costing around the same as they had ages ago.
That is of course true, but it leaves out the important fact that games, while costing more to make, are more a mass product than they were before. Meaning, yes, it's expensive to make a single game, but once your game is developed, churning out more copies of it doesn't cost much more - whereas you can charge full price for every copy you make. I've heard the argument of "games are being turned into money machines because the developers/publishers have to cover higher costs", and don't be fooled, it's not true, it's just a way for companies to try and get more understanding for their soon-to-come switch in business model.

Games are being turned from an ownership model (pay once and own the game) to a service model (pay every time you want to play) because it puts more money into the pockets of shareholders, it's that simple. The days when gaming was a smaller industry governed by the drive to make good games are over. Now it's all about making games that make money. Games are all dumbed down and geared towards pleasing the lowest common denominator, with hopefully a nice big expensive multiplayer aspect they can squeeze for more cash.

I may sound like a cynic on this, but it's a fact. Companies have to make money, or their shareholders grumble, and if a CEO can't turn a big enough profit, they'll replace him with someone who can. Believe me, I wish it wasn't true and game companies kept making games as groundbreaking as Daggerfall or as gripping as Planescape: Torment, but that's simply not what the bulk of today's gamers buy.

edit: also, hi!

i have it! gonna finish single player once, then go on to grind multiplayer and buy all the booster packs and DLC!

/consumerism

That is of course true, but it leaves out the important fact that games, while costing more to make, are more a mass product than they were before. Meaning, yes, it's expensive to make a single game, but once your game is developed, churning out more copies of it doesn't cost much more - whereas you can charge full price for every copy you make. I've heard the argument of "games are being turned into money machines because the developers/publishers have to cover higher costs", and don't be fooled, it's not true, it's just a way for companies to try and get more understanding for their soon-to-come switch in business model.

Games are being turned from an ownership model (pay once and own the game) to a service model (pay every time you want to play) because it puts more money into the pockets of shareholders, it's that simple. The days when gaming was a smaller industry governed by the drive to make good games are over. Now it's all about making games that make money. Games are all dumbed down and geared towards pleasing the lowest common denominator, with hopefully a nice big expensive multiplayer aspect they can squeeze for more cash.

I may sound like a cynic on this, but it's a fact. Companies have to make money, or their shareholders grumble, and if a CEO can't turn a big enough profit, they'll replace him with someone who can. Believe me, I wish it wasn't true and game companies kept making games as groundbreaking as Daggerfall or as gripping as Planescape: Torment, but that's simply not what the bulk of today's gamers buy.

edit: also, hi!

Yes, this is the current state of the industry. Of course it is, as gaming is now quite the mainstream activity. That said, the majority of titles made are still not recouping their costs.

I don't play many shooting games because most of them have worthless storylines due to being geared toward satisfying the needs of college dorm rooms. If more of them were like Half-Life 2, however...

Have you ever played hl2 death match? one of the best multi shooters ever, grabbing a gernade with ur gravity gun and launching it getting a triple or even a quadruple kill in the process is priceless. made a montage of that, except couldn't get a quadruple kill :/

yes thief is an awesome series, one of the few games that can actually scare me. I can never get past those damn zombie levels.

Aug Shepard in blood dragon armor :D

bdshep.jpg

ohhh yeah look what just came in my email :D

edit: i just realized there's an NDA lol

yes thief is an awesome series, one of the few games that can actually scare me. I can never get past those damn zombie levels.

Yeah, my first encounter with a zombie in the original thief scared the absolute shit out of me, as I wasn't expecting the dead body to pop up at me, and of course I was playing in the dark with the sound way up so I could hear the guards etc.

I'm not going to lie, I used walkthroughs on every mission starting with the break-in of the jail and going forward. It's just so fucking painful otherwise. Even with the walkthroughs it was absurdly hard. Maybe it would be easier now that I have more gaming experience, but fuck..........

No joke, the final mission in Thief 1 would take you a few days of non stop play if you didn't have a walkthrough.

Ya I had the same encounter with the zombies in thief 1 back in the early 00's. I remember getting scared shitless when I was back tracking to find some over looked loot or was just passing a "dead" zombie corpse for whatever reason. Then all of sudden the fucker rose up and starts attacking me and me getting scared by his sudden appearance causes me to run further into the map only to confront even more zombies who chase me! I was like holy shit. I just quit the game and did something else knowing next time what to expect. What is really funny is that I have yet to play that one mission called shalebridge cradle in thief 3 that is touted by most gamers as one of the scariest missions ever in the history of gaming. I'll probably get to it during the summer, oh I hope I didn't delete my saves :/

Here's a youtube of it;

Last edited by a moderator: