Gamers Thread

So it looks like the Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter kickstarter probably won't meet its goal. Shame. Probably bad timing, kinda got eclipsed by the Wasteland 2 kickstarter.

Still, this whole kickstarter thing seems like a good trend. I wonder if we'll moving towards an industry in which people work on AAA games at major studios until they build up the name recognition to get funding for a kickstarter so they can make the games they want to make. I'd be pretty down with that.

Also, anyone else excited about the Baldur's Gate re-whatevers? I always wanted to play those, but I tried several times and I couldn't get past the interface...tiny window, can't see shit, tons of buttons...it was pretty much screaming to be remade, because I started it twice and played about 3 hours each time, and had a completely different experience both times. I haven't played a really hardcore RPG in a really long time and while it can get annoying when the pace is really slow, it can also be incredibly rewarding.

Although my experience with Baldurs Gate II was brief I have to say it is one of the most technical, thought provoking, and engaging single player RPGs ever. Where The Elder Scrolls series is simple fun with a world to get lost in 2x over, Baldurs Gate is really the intellectuals RPG.

I'm mildly psyched about BGEE. The Baldur's Gate games used to be among my favorites, but recently I started replaying BGII and I just can't get over how save-scummy it is. Maybe I'm just bad at the game, but it feels like you have to save and reload constantly to make any progress and that a lot of battles are nearly impossible unless you have foreknowledge of what you're up against.

Also trap detection is BS, moreso in 1 though. Trying to detect traps with a thief takes forever, the only way to detect them that doesn't halt gameplay completely is to save, send your tank running blindly through the dungeon triggering as many traps as possible, reload and then find and disarm them with foreknowledge of where they're located.

The stats are stupid too. Intelligence and Wisdom are practically dump stats for most classes, there's virtually no difference between a Constitution score of 9 and one of 14 (or so, can't remember the exact numbers where it starts to give HP bonuses), Charisma doesn't matter as much as it should, etcetera. It falls apart as a roleplaying game in too many ways for the game to deserve the acclaim it's getting.

Trying to detect traps with a thief takes forever, the only way to detect them that doesn't halt gameplay completely is to save, send your tank running blindly through the dungeon triggering as many traps as possible, reload and then find and disarm them with foreknowledge of where they're located.

I have never had any problems with that, but I tend to ignore everything except lock picking and trap detection when it comes to leveling up the thieves. I also constantly have the thief detecting traps when walking around with the party.

I never had much problem with trap detection either, at least in Baldur's Gate II. I always just have my thief run around with detect traps on, and before I'll hit it, the free red square of 420xp will have appeared. The stats aren't totally balanced (you get that ring of 18 charisma pretty much right as you leave Irenicus' dungeon) but I don't think it's any worse than any other story-driven RPG. Higher constitution is basically just gravy for your fighter class, and I don't see anything wrong with that. For its style of RPG the main components required are a captivating storyline, at-least-decent diversity/replayability, and a general "Ooh pretty" factor, and it succeeds on all those fronts.

Now I'm hoping someone will do an Enhanced Edition for Planescape: Torment. That would be the shit.

Also: Notch said he wants to make an Elite-style space game with explorable ships and crews and such. I know the production values won't be great, but...that is exactly the game I have wanted ever since Freelancer.

never played BG but did play Icewind Dale II which i believe uses the same engine but is slightly prettier. i loved the full control you have over your entire party, the inventory, leveling, battle positioning and tactics, etc.

anyway, the BGEE is for iPad so that rules it out, dont need that useless gadget. hopefully it comes to other platforms too

ME3 is cursed with a bug that is unpatched (on pc at least) thus far that makes your character seemingly randomly drop back to level 1, lossing all skill tree points along with it. I just had to work my way around this with a mod -_-. Otherwise I am enjoying the game thoroughly.

Started playing ME3. So far, the tone is pretty inconsistent and the game is pretty coy about telling you what's actually happening - at first it seems like only earth is under attacked, but then a few minutes later the Turian homeworld has been devastated, and idkwtf. Meanwhile we're expected to believe that everything just carries on normally on the citadel...
Beyond that, the characters are pretty inconsistent. Liara in ME3 seems like she might be connected to Liara in ME1, but what the fuck happened to Liara from ME2?
Otherwise...it's pretty. The weapons felt better in ME2. So did the leveling system.
I dunno...so far, this isn't terrible, just kinda at odds with itself. Kinda dreading the ending.

Still...I found my space hamster running around loose in engineering, and that made me happy.

The Shadow Broker DLC helps explain why Liara is different towards you in ME3. Much more reserved. In a way it's similar to Ashley but definitely more colored by Asari psychology. She's way more rational than Ashley. In a way almost everyone's opinion of Shepard is colored by the fact that he slept with the enemy, basically. Cerberus are big huge dickholes in ME3.

It all seems pretty coherent to me thus far, and the combat is superior. I like the new depth of the leveling up, though with that bug I mentioned earlier...

The Shadow Broker DLC helps explain why Liara is different towards you in ME3. Much more reserved. In a way it's similar to Ashley but definitely more colored by Asari psychology. She's way more rational than Ashley. In a way almost everyone's opinion of Shepard is colored by the fact that he slept with the enemy, basically. Cerberus are big huge dickholes in ME3.

The Shadow Broker DLC was, in terms of consistency, even worse. Liara in ME2 is a completely different character from Liara in ME1, and the events described do not explain the change. Liara in ME3 so far seems reasonably consistent with Liara in ME1 - also, I boned her in ME 1 and now finally in ME 3 she's flirty again.

The Shadow Broker DLC was just stupid...eclipsed only by Arrival, which was kind of the worst thing ever.

Also, yes, I have played the first two games twice so I know what happened with Cerberus. And that's another thing I'd like to complain about. In ME 1, they're basically space nazis. In ME2, they're renegade puppy rescuers. In ME3, suddenly they're space nazis again. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT. Yes, there were some mentions of the bad things they did in ME2, but they were completely glossed over and in ambient dialogue the crew would go on and on about what awesome people they were. I'm fine with having some moral ambiguity, but this isn't ambiguity, it's inconsistency. Everything they did in ME1 was horrible, then everything they did in ME2 was awesome, and now they're pure horrible again. It's inconsistent bullshit. The writers are just changing everything to fit the story they've cooked up, and I don't buy it at all. I thought it was already straining credulity in ME2, but now it's just ridiculous.

Meanwhile, by bringing back the unrestricted nonlinearity, they've removed any sense of urgency. Adding some sort of time limit (even a fake one) would really help...maybe an "earth resistance strength" bar that seems to go down very slowly but is more or less tied to major plot events or something like that.

Also, given how many familiar faces I'm seeing (read: all of them) it's starting to feel like a reunion episode or something.

Max Payne 3 looks disappointing. The main draw for me regarding the first two games was the dark noir influence, which seems to be completely gone here.

Yeah, but the shooting looks really really solid. It probably won't be as good as the first two, but it looks pretty fun.

Max Payne 3 looks disappointing. The main draw for me regarding the first two games was the dark noir influence, which seems to be completely gone here.

It is looking a lot better than when it was initially announced. Still not really anticipating it though.