Gamers Thread

Damn, I really want to like Diablo 3, I really do, but after playing through Nightmare, I'm just so sick of it. I played Diablo 1 and 2 to death and beyond, but this time it's just not cutting it.

The graphics are great, and even though I was just like Dodens at first, I've come to appreciate where they took the art direction. You'll find that you get heavy nostalgia as most of the areas nod to Diablo 2 but still maintain an original feel. Nearly everything is a vast improvement to the previous games, including gameplay, lobby system, town portals etc etc.

The only thing I feel they fucked up on are the items. Don't know about you guys, but mf-running, no matter how mindless it was, was the most addicting part of D2 IMO. Now it's completely shit. There are no more unique items, instead you get a legendary item with random stats which could either be great or completely terrible, and the numbers will vary. Forget finding that golden Hydra Bow and knowing you got a Windforce and it was about that time you started an Amazon. I guess this new item system is in place so they can maximize the potential money from the Real Money Auction House. Also, they really need more class specific items. My caster is running around with a 2-handed axe because it gives me more damage than wands/staves/voodoo dolls. Everything is so narrowed down to the three base stats, it gets boring to look at all the loot. Give me some +15% extra damage to Acid Cloud (Witch Doctor only) stats or something!

Other than that though, I think it's just such a dated game. It really is a shiny, improved D2, and that game worked in 2000, but that was before MMO's took over, and quite simply they work better. Diablo 3 (and 1+2) just feels like one giant 4-act dungeon that you play over and over again minus the immersive open world and online community.

^ while I'm still enjoying the game I know, and had the feeling since before it came out, that for many of the reasons you listed I will not be getting into this game to the same degree as the previous releases. The gaming environment is also just vastly different with more offerings than there was back then...that time logged can never be matched again in the dungeon crawling genre for myself and many others.

With regards to the art direction in Diablo 3...they pushed it in a slightly more WoW-ish direction, but overall the actual assets don't bother me. My problem is with the lighting, magic effects, etc. If you look at the fan-doctored screenshots, clearly all that's needed to make the game look the way it should are some filters and such. Unfortunately, thanks to Blizzard's bullshit DRM these can't be modded in. I played the game a bit at a friend's place - started a monk and played through the early levels, then played a friend's barbarian through Act IV. It's safe to say that the magic of the clickfest is still there, but the things that are good about Diablo 3 are the things they kept from Diablo 2. The interface tweaks are nice...that's really the only improvement they've made...it's easier to compare weapon stats, and gold gets picked up automatically. Congrats, Blizzard. Except, wait a second, they managed to fuck a few things up, too. Like, item names automatically pop up...what was wrong with pressing ALT to bring them up, exactly? In a few big fights I've had important shit get covered up by item names. And while we're on the topic, nice font choice for loot. I know that's super petty, but still...
Also, Act 4 is fucking lame. Cool environments, but it's incredibly short, the angle of the backdrop is off (nice work there, how the hell do you get that wrong?), and the final fight with Diablo is really goddamn weak sauce.

Overall, it's definitely a good game, but Blizzard have completely lost the magic. Their DRM means high server costs, which means they need the real-money auction house to make bank, which means the whole game is built around it. Hence the shitty end-game. That means that the game itself suffers, not to mention the myriad other problems inherent to the always-online DRM.

Blizzard has given me a sad.

You guys are seeming to ignore the fact that using the server-login(while retarded I agree for SC2 SP or now Diablo 3) probably ends 90% of the CD-Key generators and downloaders...probably saving tons of money just because of that now.

But I wish there was a way after so many logins or something to just not do it..or a SP option

Preventing piracy does not increase sales. This is pretty simple. Your average pirate will play pretty much every major release. The average gamer who does not pirate buys <6 games a year. If you take the piracy option away, pirates that were playing 50+ games a year will now only play a couple. The increase in sales for any one game would be minor, and that's assuming you could completely eradicate piracy. In the current environment, if one game manages to completely prevent piracy pirates will simply play another. So please explain to me exactly how Blizzard has saved tons of money by using obnoxious DRM that alienates players and drives up their own server maintenance costs.

What other rts competes with Starcraft?

And the only thing that could compete with Diablo 3 is Elder Scrolls..and those games are for homo's

I think you underestimate people's value of spending 60$ versus looking up 'how to download a torrent' and playing any new game they want

normal mode is just there so noobs can experience the story, graphics, gameplay, etc.

nightmare mode Diablo was fairly challenging. i actually got low on health sometimes and had to run around dodging his flame pillars while waiting for potion cooldowns. i even needed 2 berserker forms to take him down. but it wasnt too hard cuz i'm a barbarian and barbarians rule. my puny allies died a couple times though.

now i'm in hell mode and getting killed by spiders and skeletons. lol no joke!

btw my battletag is aug#2710. i have a level 52 barbarian in europe and a level 47 monk in america, feel free to add me up.

What other rts competes with Starcraft?
Starcraft 2 has been thoroughly cracked.
And the only thing that could compete with Diablo 3 is Elder Scrolls..and those games are for homo's
This doesn't make sense at all. The Elder Scrolls games have nothing in common with Diablo, and there are literally dozens of Diablo clones...Torchlight, Titan Quest, etc.
I think you underestimate people's value of spending 60$ versus looking up 'how to download a torrent' and playing any new game they want
Oh...it all makes sense now. You're retarded. It explains so much...

At least they kept that in tradition.
I dunno, I thought it was decent in Diablo 2. I don't mean the difficulty of the fight, I mean the presentation...having to go into his huge fortress and open the seals...I thought it was kinda cool.

What's funny is, even though I'm already sick of D3, I can't wait for Lineage Eternal. Totally going to make a mage, just look at the mechanics (around 7 min mark).

Last edited by a moderator:
You're really overestimating the amount of video game piracy there is out there.

I used to download every game out there back in the day, because it was so simple...I doubt that I am the only one.

What other reason would Blizzard have to make this stupid login crap instead of CD-Keys?

And those other games, Titan Quest have nothing compared to the market of Diablo. Elder Scrolls games are similar..kill monsters walk around a lot so not sure what you're saying. just those games have much more gameplay

Maybe because every successful firm seeks to prevent revenue loss any which way.

Industry experts have said that the consensus is that for every person that downloads a game illegally, 6 to 8 people buy the game legally.

Downloading and playing a game is still a far more complicated process than downloading a torrent of an album at the end of the day.

Just beat the original Diablo on the highest difficulty in less than a days' work. Could never beat that game as a kid. Go me I guess.

Final battle was totally underwhelming. Still, fun times.

DiabloIII2012-05-2914-56-11-89.jpg

DiabloIII2012-05-2914-56-57-80.jpg

Dodens, if you think this color palette is too bright you're simply thick. This is about as grim as it comes.

You're still not over it? Look, you moron, go back and read my posts and you'll see that I never complained about the color palette not being dark enough. Jesus fuck. Your entire response on the previous pages was about shit I never even said. I earlier decided to leave it be, but obviously you're still fuming over me saying that a screen cap looked "gay and un-Diablolike".

You're still not over it? Look, you moron, go back and read my posts and you'll see that I never complained about the color palette not being dark enough. Jesus fuck. Your entire response on the previous pages was about shit I never even said. I earlier decided to leave it be, but obviously you're still fuming over me saying that a screen cap looked "gay and un-Diablolike".

:lol: You have taken this entire thing far too seriously, and that last post flew over your head. Here's a nice pat on the shoulder man.