Gamers Thread

So is anyone else besides myself excited about the upcoming Doom reissue that's set to come out for PS3 and Xbox 360? So stoked!

^Never knew. Should be awesome

Is anyone excited for Darksiders II:

I mean these CG Trailers are fucking epic as hell

For those who don't know much about the Darksiders series. It's pretty awesome. It feels alot like Zelda, so much that it's open world, it involves dungeons and puzzles. Aswell as discovering weapons as you progress. And not only that it's mixed with Hack and Slash kind of weapons like God of War.

And the story is the games crown jewel, it's so fantastic, Mark Hamill does a fantastic job on doing one of the main characters.

War was done in the first game, Death is second. So the next two it's either Conquest or Famine. And I'm going to think that the last game is going to involve all four it it gets to that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the first few hours of Dead Space 1, there's really nothing "horror" about it. There's no pacing. No tension. They take about 10 minutes to show you the first monster and from then on there's no mystery or anything. There's nothing to be afraid of. There are some occasional shock tactics and then that's it. Just mindless shooting. You're never really afraid any more than you are in Gears or Call of Duty. You never dread what's around the next corner, because it's already up in your face.

Also, I reject the notion that reducing the amount of ammunition available suddenly makes something a survival game. Survival is about choices. In a linear game like Dead Space there are no meaningful choices. A game like Day Z is true survival horror. Dead Space is a linear action game with slow movement speed and a penchant for juvenile displays of gore. The fact that they clearly and deliberately marketed the second game specifically to 12 year olds should tell you all you need to know.

Game devs really need to get this through their heads: horror lies in the unknown. The moment you show us something, it loses power. So...don't show us stuff. Fuck with our heads. Weird noises. Glimpses of shit. Tension.

I get what you're saying, but all in all I feel you take things to a far too narrow scope. The reason a lot of these smaller named horror titles get the extra scare is based largely on the fact that they're using mechanics that aren't things people are used to using. If you take your dead spaces and recent RE / SH games out of the eqation, all of a sudden they carry less umph.

I think you need to come to grip with the fact that their are multiple forms of horror within the genre, not all psychological, and all effect different people differently. An argument such as "dead space isn't scary" losses immediately given the number of people that got scared playing the game, and the volume of people that couldn't finish the game due to stress.

I just bought Dragon's Dogma! I'm hoping that all the good things I've heard about this one are true and therefore it's not a major disappointment!

I get what you're saying, but all in all I feel you take things to a far too narrow scope. The reason a lot of these smaller named horror titles get the extra scare is based largely on the fact that they're using mechanics that aren't things people are used to using. If you take your dead spaces and recent RE / SH games out of the eqation, all of a sudden they carry less umph.
I don't even understand what you're trying to say here.

I think you need to come to grip with the fact that their are multiple forms of horror within the genre, not all psychological, and all effect different people differently. An argument such as "dead space isn't scary" losses immediately given the number of people that got scared playing the game, and the volume of people that couldn't finish the game due to stress.
Yeah, and people cried during Twilight. Dead Space is utterly lacking in subtlety, which I suppose is why its primary appeal is to people who consider novelizations literature.
Of course there are multiple approaches to horror. Orson Scott Card wrote a very good analysis of the genre in which he broke "horror" down into dread, terror, and horror. In his definition, dread is tension, the feeling that something bad is going to happen. Terror is panic, the adrenaline rush you get when the murderer jumps out of the closet and chases you through the house. Horror is our reaction to seeing something that should not be...mutilated bodies and such. Of these, dread is by far the strongest because it uses your own mind. Terror is potent, but with prolonged exposure it quickly wears off. Horror is the weakest; we very quickly become desensitized to it.

Dead Space draws almost entirely on terror and horror. By far the most effective sequences are the ones that use dread.

Also, as for people quitting the game because it's stressful...yeah it's fucking stressful. You don't have enough ammo and the movement speed is too slow and the controls are shit. It's a bad action game, not a good horror game.

The controls are pretty easy brah.

People find the game scary where as they don't find your comparisons to it scary. It really ends there man. It's cool if you don't like its approach, but man you have taken this grudge to quite the extent flooded with blanket statements.

don't mind waif, he's just a pseudo-intellectual who doesn't understand that there are different fucking kinds of fear. amazing, isn't it?

So is anyone else besides myself excited about the upcoming Doom reissue that's set to come out for PS3 and Xbox 360? So stoked!

I loved Doom 3 and am really looking forward to this. Apparently it's going to include a new campaign along with Resurrection of Evil. I'm hoping it's the full PC version rather than the cut down Xbox version though.

I just bought Dragon's Dogma! I'm hoping that all the good things I've heard about this one are true and therefore it's not a major disappointment!

Didn't it get mediocre reviews?

So I played Amnesia and it was great. I didn't find it as scary as I thought I would but that's probably because I knew so much about the game already. The enemy encounters were terrifying at first but just became sort of annoying later. By the end of the game, it was fairly easier to predict their patterns and whenever I saw one I knew that I just had to go sit in a corner until the music stopped. Still, it is probably the scariest game I've ever played and, as I said, the story and presentation are both excellent. The Justine expansion is a cool little extra as well. I'm really looking forward to A Machine For Pigs. thechineseroom did amazing work on Dear Esther, so I have high hopes for it.

Here's something for WAIF to hate.

I have to say, I'm looking forward to it. It doesn't look like they're pulling an RE5 with the co-op, which is a good sign. It doesn't look very scary, but Dead Space 2 wasn't really scary and I still enjoyed it immensely. Speaking of Resident Evil, RE6 looks awesome.

Lastly, I'm really stoked for Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I make sure not to look at more than what would sell me on a game anymore before purchasing it.

I never thought that I would actually get the game because I didn't think my computer would be able to run it. At that time, I didn't see any harm in researching the game a little more.

Speaking of horror games, has anyone tried out the SCP games. I think I linked them earlier. Honestly, these are some of the few games that I will just shut down completely due to how scary they are. Especially Containment Breach. The Sculpture is just the worst. For anyone who doesn't know, these are free downloadable indie horror games that are based on the SCP Foundation website, which is a sort of database for a fictional foundation that contains paranormal entities. SCP-087 and SCP-087-B are more like interactive stories but they're incredibly tense horror experiences. SCP-Containment Breach is more like a full game but it's currently in alpha stage. It doesn't make it any less terrifying though. If you're a fan of Amnesia, I seriously recommend you give these a shot. They are all absolutely free and are all very small downloads. I'll provide some links.

SCP-087 - http://www.mediafire.com/?y655d73rffnnm0p

SCP-Containment Breach and SCP-087-B - http://scpcb.wordpress.com/

Just watched the extended cut endings for Mass Effect 3 and I'm happy with the Destroy ending.

Synthesis is way too uncanny valley for me, and control is dumb.

Rejection is an odd choice that seemed like a 'fuck you' to the people who complained this entire time.

the control ending was the most badass of them all! haha the complainers deserved a "fuck you" ending tbh.

Orson Scott Card wrote a very good analysis of the genre in which he broke "horror" down into dread, terror, and horror. In his definition, dread is tension, the feeling that something bad is going to happen. Terror is panic, the adrenaline rush you get when the murderer jumps out of the closet and chases you through the house. Horror is our reaction to seeing something that should not be...mutilated bodies and such. Of these, dread is by far the strongest because it uses your own mind. Terror is potent, but with prolonged exposure it quickly wears off. Horror is the weakest; we very quickly become desensitized to it.

I like this. I remember watching my brother play one of the Silent Hill games, and one of the worst parts was slowly walking through city streets in the fog with this static detector thing that would start getting loud if a zombie was in the vicinity. Knowing shit was out there and not being able to see it, and only armed with like a piece of wood with a nail in it was infinitely worse than "mowing down hordes of zombies with machine guns".

Basically, "Hunter, the Reckoning" was not "scary" at all, although it might fall under "horror".

the control ending was the most badass of them all! haha the complainers deserved a "fuck you" ending tbh.

I haven't actually played any of the Mass Effect games, so forgive me if I speak out of term here, but the complainers really pissed me off. Their argument seemed to be that the game was fantastic but the ending was disappointing, so we're going to boycott everything that Bioware does from now on. They still seem to be complaining after Bioware released a sizeable update for the game COMPLETELY FREE OF CHARGE in order to address their complaints. I don't think I should have to explain why that's retarded.

I'm actually planning on buying the entire trilogy soon as it looks amazing. When it first came out, it just wasn't my thing and I didn't really take any interest in it, but now that I'm more into sci-fi and have a higher appreciation for good storytelling in games, I think I'd really enjoy them.

With regard to the Mass Effect dlc...I don't think they should have done it. I think the complaints were completely valid, but the demands for a new ending were childish. I will say right now that Bioware flubbed the ending so hard it makes the entire trilogy substantially worse, and I think the "writers" who came up with that bullshit should probably be canned, but I don't think they should have released a new ending. Not so much because of the "slippery slope" arguments, although those are valid, but more because it's too late. Way too late. Even if the new ending had come out a week after launch it would have been too late. Months later...fuck that. As far as boycotting Bioware's future games...that seems excessive. They released a deeply mediocre game with an appallingly bad conclusion. That doesn't really seem like a good reason to boycott a company, although it is definitely a decent reason not to buy their games (just not in an organized fashion). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

With regard to the Mass Effect dlc...I don't think they should have done it. I think the complaints were completely valid, but the demands for a new ending were childish. I will say right now that Bioware flubbed the ending so hard it makes the entire trilogy substantially worse, and I think the "writers" who came up with that bullshit should probably be canned, but I don't think they should have released a new ending. Not so much because of the "slippery slope" arguments, although those are valid, but more because it's too late. Way too late. Even if the new ending had come out a week after launch it would have been too late. Months later...fuck that. As far as boycotting Bioware's future games...that seems excessive. They released a deeply mediocre game with an appallingly bad conclusion. That doesn't really seem like a good reason to boycott a company, although it is definitely a decent reason not to buy their games (just not in an organized fashion). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

How is the extended cut worse? All 3 endings from the launch, we're just copy pasted. There wasn't much to differentiate them. Now with the extended cut, there's actually closure to the series, you actually see the consequences of your choices instead of seeing the same bullshit ending as before. IMO Bioware salvaged the series by doing this, I'm seeing a lot of good feedback from this. And you're probably the first person that I've seen who disapproves of it.

Anyways, I'm hoping they stop the Multiplayer DLC and focus on Campaign DLC cause that's what everyone wants at the moment.

It is definitely an odd situation that Bioware was in, but they took a series that people had invested a large amount of time and money into and shit all over it with some of the laziest writing ever. The ECs fixed the fact that the endings didn't explain anything, but really the issue was that the final game and the overall direction taken story wise after ME2 was awful.

The reapers reap to prevent organics from being wiped out by synthetics? Kill the ones you're meaning to save? Where is the sense in that?

I remember the lead writer on ME1 and 2 had an outlined idea for ME3 that involved exploring the dark energy things described in Tali's mission in 2...which would have been far more interesting if properly fleshed out...but for some reason he went to Texas to work on shitty Star Wars books and that god awful The Old Republic.