Gamers Thread

Been playing a lot of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer and it is really damn well done.

I started out with a really shit class simply because I liked Tali all through the series more than any character, but as soon as I started unlocking other ones I found myself much happier with my performance.

I really want another Age of ... Game. I loved rts games so much but haven't gone balls to the wall with one since Age of mythology, though age 3 was alright none of my group picked it up.

just started Dragon's Dogma and it's looking good so far. pretty graphics, responsive controls and cool combat.

I just realised today that I regularly walk past the Rockstar North studio. Cool.
just started Dragon's Dogma and it's looking good so far. pretty graphics, responsive controls and cool combat.
I was going to buy it but then I found out about the ridiculous amount of DLC that's already been released. Not touching it until some type of GOTY edition is released or it's extremely cheap.

well i'm not a completist so it doesnt matter. i dont even try to do every single quest (especially if it's a lame "find an item but with really vague whereabouts" type), i just go along and do whatever presents itself.

one complaint though is that many times i find myself in an area i'm underleveled for, and i have no idea or warning of this until my ass is already being kicked. this results in wasted time backtracking and switching to a more manageable quest.

anyways the boss fights are pretty fucking epic/challenging

I played the demo and I really liked the character customisation and the gryphon boss fight. I just refuse to buy anything that has 22 DLC packs only a few months after release. I'm thinking of picking up The Witcher 2 and Dark Souls first anyway.

i've just slain a huge dragon boss and holy hell that was fucking epic. it was a multi-staged battle and in one part i had to ride on its back as it flew through the sky over the clouds and hack at its heart! the thing was fucking huge, stomping all over my ass and breathing fire.

Dragon's Dogma rivals Skyrim and Dragon Age 1! not as immersive as the former or strategic as the latter but definitely more stylish and real-time action-packed than both.

I just found out you don't need a top of the line gaming PC to play The War Z and it should run on most laptops. I think I just became slightly more content with life.

I'm all PS3 lately since I had to sell my gaming laptop for a better one for work. Back into Fallout: New Vegas.

Been playing a lot of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer and it is really damn well done.

I started out with a really shit class simply because I liked Tali all through the series more than any character, but as soon as I started unlocking other ones I found myself much happier with my performance.

Yeah no doubt it's well done, but the only thing I have an issue with is you have to play it to keep your galactic readiness level up... Which pisses me right off cause I got it to 100% and stopped playing for a while and when I came back to do another playthrough a couple weeks later, it was down to 50% like it originally starts off.

Other than that, I fucking love the game.

Based on the first few hours of Dead Space 1, there's really nothing "horror" about it. There's no pacing. No tension. They take about 10 minutes to show you the first monster and from then on there's no mystery or anything. There's nothing to be afraid of. There are some occasional shock tactics and then that's it. Just mindless shooting. You're never really afraid any more than you are in Gears or Call of Duty. You never dread what's around the next corner, because it's already up in your face.

Also, I reject the notion that reducing the amount of ammunition available suddenly makes something a survival game. Survival is about choices. In a linear game like Dead Space there are no meaningful choices. A game like Day Z is true survival horror. Dead Space is a linear action game with slow movement speed and a penchant for juvenile displays of gore. The fact that they clearly and deliberately marketed the second game specifically to 12 year olds should tell you all you need to know.

Game devs really need to get this through their heads: horror lies in the unknown. The moment you show us something, it loses power. So...don't show us stuff. Fuck with our heads. Weird noises. Glimpses of shit. Tension.

I played Dead space 2 and it's even more ridiculous than the first. Even in the opening scene it takes 15 seconds and someone turns into a zombie and trying to kill you. It was such a buzzkill from the start, like you said the game really doesn't build too much tension.

Dark Souls or The Witcher 2? I'll probably end up getting both eventually but which one should I get to hold me over till I decide to get the other.

^ I'm downloading Dark Souls prepare to die version atm. Looking forward to some tension in my RPG. The Witcher 2 was rather meh for me.

EDIT : Scratch that as a suggestion. The game itself is really good...however this is one of the shittiest ports to PC I have seen. Unacceptable. Still displays 360 controls in game, hands poorly, cannot access game menu from within game(which means not knowing how to control the game and not being able to adjust controls), literally have alt tab and exit to get the game to close because there is no other given way to do so. Basic mouse layover is constantly present on game screen...etc. This was handled so poorly, and simply should not be allowed. Fuck.

I ended up getting both because I saw them going pretty cheap. The Witcher 2 is in the mail right now and, being somewhat busy lately, I haven't got to play an awful lot of Dark Souls. From what I have played, though, it's really good. When I started playing, there were moments where I contemplated putting the game away and just never touching it again due to how unaccessible it was. But once I got into the swing of things, it became incredibly immersive. It certainly has some of the best boss fights I've seen in a while.

I ended up getting both because I saw them going pretty cheap. The Witcher 2 is in the mail right now and, being somewhat busy lately, I haven't got to play an awful lot of Dark Souls. From what I have played, though, it's really good. When I started playing, there were moments where I contemplated putting the game away and just never touching it again due to how unaccessible it was. But once I got into the swing of things, it became incredibly immersive. It certainly has some of the best boss fights I've seen in a while.

Are you playing on console? It looks like I'm going to have to use a gamepad if I want the controls to be responsive enough to play here.

Yeah, it controls fine on console. I'm going to have to pay for the DLC when it comes out but it looks like it should be worth the extra. I only really play PC games if they're indie exclusives or relatively old. My laptop can handle most Source games but I think it would have a heart attack if I tried to play something like Battlefield 3 on it.

Yeah, I played briefly on console when it came out and it controlled fine, plus the game was really solid. Really wish I would have just bought it on console instead of buying the pc port at this point. Upset my money went to support such a lazy port, even if using a friend's gamepad will remedy most of my woes.

Guild Wars 2 - maybe i'm getting old but i can't be arsed about the pve. questing is boring as balls for me. as for pvp, the controls are clunky, the action is too chaotic and unfriendly for melee characters (i'm a thief) with so much spammy projectiles and shit flying around. that said the graphics and animations are really beautiful and you can tell a lot of work went into the game. i'll give it some time.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3) - been awaiting this game for a long time and it did not disappoint. huge roster of characters, brutal and bone-crunching martial arts moves, lively and highly-detailed environments and a deep, complex fighting system. got my ass handed to me many times as i was quite rusty, but soon enough the ol' reflexes and instincts came back and i was pwning noob after noob. i leveled up my rank a couple times using my team of Hwoarang and Paul.

Guild Wars 2 - maybe i'm getting old but i can't be arsed about the pve. questing is boring as balls for me. as for pvp, the controls are clunky, the action is too chaotic and unfriendly for melee characters (i'm a thief) with so much spammy projectiles and shit flying around. that said the graphics and animations are really beautiful and you can tell a lot of work went into the game. i'll give it some time.

That's the exact impression I got from it. Dark Age of Camelot still seems to be the best MMO out there as far as PvP goes, quite an accomplishment after being around for 11 years if you ask me.