Gamers Thread

I've been playing GW2 quite a bit but I do see two major downsides that are bugging me.

1) While I don't want it to be a complete gear-centric game like WoW, I can't help but feel there's little progression after reaching level cap. There's map completion/achievements, etc. but nothing quite compares to continually getting better gear even though I don't want to need to get better gear. Double edged sword of sorts here.

2) Autoattack does so much damage and most other skills with cooldowns actually do less. Sure, they offer defensive benefits, but when fighting something where you're in no danger of dying the combat could be much more engaging than watching your character autoattack until the target dies...

So I've been loving Dark Souls. The PC port is by far the worst port I've ever seen, but the game itself is phenomenal.
Also quite enjoying Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. Pretty sure fans of the previous games will be disappointed that what used to be a hardcore, unforgiving military shooter has banked a hard right into Modern Warfare territory, but I find it to be well-made enough and different enough that I can look past that.

Downloaded the free Black Mesa: Source game today. It's just the original Half-Life put through the source engine. It looks marvelous and plays wonderfully. I've beat the game probably 10 times previously and I was still getting chills at certain parts. Go download it if you haven't played it yet.

I just started BM:S too, and I'm loving it. It's more than just a reskin, htough. This is all rerecorded dialogue, new models, animations, etc, and the actual levels and such have been changed. It feels like the old Half Life should feel like. So far this is some quality shit, although ladders still suck and the jumping puzzles just feel off.

Halo 4 all the way baby! And don't get that cod shit starded pls.
Looking forward what 343 studios have done to the franchise. Having a pretty good feeling about it, according to the trailer. Most of all im curious hearing the soundtrack, it has always been awesome in the Halo series.

Been playing Blacklight: Retribution a lot lately. Great futuristic FPS with a lot of customization available. You can change your muzzle, stock, clip, scope, etc. to change the amount of damage, hip fire accuracy, aimed accuracy, firing rate, speed of movement, etc.

Same can be done with your armor to increase health, endurance, etc.

No lame killstreaks like with CoD, but you can purchase things with a in match currency to buy things like missile launchers, flame throwers, or mechs that only last until you die or you use them. You can also buy health and ammo refills. Everything is cheap enough that it isn't burdensome to get them.

Fun as fuck, and FREE to play - everyone should check it out and add me - I think my username is crushedaria

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the customizations are bought using a currency you earn for completing matches and they're actually 'rented' so you don't have to get stuck with a shitty thing you don't want - and they can be unlocked permanently for either real money currency or a sizable chunk of in game currency

I just started BM:S too, and I'm loving it. It's more than just a reskin, htough. This is all rerecorded dialogue, new models, animations, etc, and the actual levels and such have been changed. It feels like the old Half Life should feel like. So far this is some quality shit, although ladders still suck and the jumping puzzles just feel off.

Yeah, the game is much more intense and terrifying with the new controls and the way the guns handle. Most of the levels are the same though with very minor changes.

Yeah, the game is much more intense and terrifying with the new controls and the way the guns handle. Most of the levels are the same though with very minor changes.

Haven't played the original in probably 2 years, but there's a whole bunch of shit that's changed. I finished it yesterday and I gotta say I fucking loved it. Given that it's completely free (you can download the source sdk for free, which is all you need to play it) everyone should try it. Once I got used to the controls everything was fine. My only complaint is...ironsights on the magnum? Are you serious? Right-click should make him twirl it or something cool like that.

Been playing Borderlands 2. I like it considerably more than the first one. Still not perfect, though. My main problem is the way the guns handle. Firing from the hip is absurdly inaccurate, but the game is simply not built for ironsights aiming. Similarly, the Halo-style health system seems to encourage caution and cover, but the way the enemies behave and the amount of life they have pretty much demands otherwise. I'm sure I'll get used to it in a few hours.
The only other quibble I have is that I'm level 7 and yet I'm a level 55 badass. I mean, that's pretty damn badass. It kinda feels like the game is trying to jerk me off while I play it.

I'm tempted to get To The Moon. Apparently, everyone who plays it ends up bawling their eyes out. A game's never really had that effect on me so I may put it to the test.

Haven't played the original in probably 2 years, but there's a whole bunch of shit that's changed. I finished it yesterday and I gotta say I fucking loved it. Given that it's completely free (you can download the source sdk for free, which is all you need to play it) everyone should try it. Once I got used to the controls everything was fine. My only complaint is...ironsights on the magnum? Are you serious? Right-click should make him twirl it or something cool like that.

Considering that the magnum is the ONLY weapon that had a zoom secondary function in the original Half-Life I'm not sure that I see the problem.

Actually, forgot the crossbow, but still.

Brought a PS Vita recently and am really impressed with it for a handheld machine it's got a fair bit of grunt,although i'm gonna have to return mine as the fucking thing won't do a system update.Been hooked on Dungeon Hunter:Alliance,really addictive dungeon crawler with plenty of BM references.

Diablo 3 doesn't work on my fucking laptop. I'm likely just gonna sell the fucking game. Use the money to buy cigarettes. Goddamn it.

Something that bothers me with most multiplayer FPS-games is that "team matches" aren't really team matches. In most cases, being on a team only means that you have certain players that you don't try to kill. There's usually no cooperation involved, instead everyone just runs around by themselves in complete chaos.

Something that bothers me with most multiplayer FPS-games is that "team matches" aren't really team matches. In most cases, being on a team only means that you have certain players that you don't try to kill. There's usually no cooperation involved, instead everyone just runs around by themselves in complete chaos.

I recommend you to play safe and sound oldschool Quake live. It's still one of the most competetitive fps games ive played. Unfortunately or not, the community is filled with rules. For example playing solo without your team in clan arena or in other team matches, players will spam shit or kick you instantly.
Most people in quake lack sense of humor and are easy to troll. On the other hand playing serious is fulfilling and the gameplay feels almost physical.

Downloaded the free Black Mesa: Source game today. It's just the original Half-Life put through the source engine. It looks marvelous and plays wonderfully. I've beat the game probably 10 times previously and I was still getting chills at certain parts. Go download it if you haven't played it yet.

Wow that game finally finished? I remember back in 2004 hearing about this, I thought it was going to be released in late 2005, I was only off by about 7 years...

I'll have to give this a go.

I finished The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition today. It's one of the few games that has made me wish I could afford a good gaming PC so I could play the definitive version. No content was cut for the Xbox version but it's clear that it was toned down for the console. That being said, I enjoyed it immensely. I was mainly in it for the story and presentation and that was fully present. The voice-acting is top-notch, the characters are great, the side quests were cool and the world was gorgeous. The story didn't properly pick up till about the end of chapter 1 but from then on it was great. The ending seemed a little rushed, however. All in all, I'll definitely be playing the game a few more times in order to see all of the different paths. I like how your choices have a huge effect in this game.

I've been itching to get back into Dark Souls but I felt obliged to finish The Witcher 2 first for some reason. I think I may leave it a little longer now since the DLC will be out soon and I want to get the full experience in one playthrough.

In the meantime, I'm going to play through Resident Evil 4 and 5 to get myself in the mood for 6.