Gamers Thread

632847_20120815_640screen005.jpg

I just love this picture. I want Far Cry 3 now!

There hasn't been a game I've looked forward to all year, and now there is 2 games releasing a week apart that I must play. Halo 4 and Call of Duty Black ops 2.

I've read a few reviews about Halo 4 and so far every review can't praise the game high enough, so hopefully this game will turn out to be a really good game. It's to bad I haven't pre ordered the game, so maybe with luck I'll be able to find a store on tuesday that has this game in stock.

As for Call of Duty Black ops, I could care less about the main game or it's multiplayer. I'm buying this game for Nazi Zombies, and Nazi Zombies only, I love the fact they are giving NZ's it's own single player campaign, I'm really looking forward to this new installment. I can't tell you how many hours my friends and I have spent playing this game till 5-6 in the morning. We would setup my projector to his garage on the weekends and play this game on a 150" screen and since we were basically outside we always had a BBQ going on in the background. It's one of the few games I've never tired of, and I started playing it since it first came out for COD: WaW.

Would anyone else be interested in a World War 2 shooter where the main protagonists are German soldiers? I know that it would cause an insane amount of controversy but I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it was handled well. It would have to be extremely focused on story and presentation, but it could be done. With games like Spec-Ops: The Line showing what war games are capable of in terms of storytelling, this is probably the perfect time for something like this to be released. I'm not a Nazi or anything but I respect when movies and books humanise the soldiers who are commonly thought of as the bad guys. I think it could be incredible in a game. Playing as those who we're used to killing, having them built up as likeable and relatable characters and finally seeing their world fall apart around them.

What would the point be? What would such a game say? I don't think anyone would be comfortable with such a game actually being fun, obviously, but lacking that the game would need to say something. And so...what is there to say, really?

Everyone talks about how great Spec Ops was, but...was it? Sure, in terms of story-telling it's a cut ahead of the Modern Warfare clones, but it's just Heart of Darkness. If it can be said to have had a point of its own, it was that video game violence has become absurd.

I'm not saying Spec Ops was bad, but it wasn't nearly as great as everyone is imagining. It was a clumsy, fumbling first step towards conveying meaning through game mechanics in AAA titles.

Returning to your point, for a game to put me in a position of defending the Nazi regime, it would have to actually say something meaningful. And it would have to be something that couldn't be conveyed from a different perspective.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't like to see that. But it would have to be done very well and handled very carefully.

I think it's a great idea. To answer WAIFs question, it would have to show how people respond to propaganda and a totalitarian government. It would be tremendously difficult to portray such feelings in a video-game but it's possible. They've tried this in other games like Bioshock etc, but as far as I know they haven't pulled if off with a proper historical event.

Dishonored is a fun game. i'm pretty impatient and suck at stealth though, so i end up killing a lot. i like to wind blast groups of enemies and then hack/shoot them while they're on the ground.

like others have said, the missions do go by too fast (i just killed some bitch at a costume party). hopefully they come out with some nice long DLC because i like the world of this game.

I'm really looking forward to Far Cry 3. It looks like they've dealt with everything I didn't like in FC2. You can capture outposts, instead of those perpetually respawning outposts. There's a functional stealth system. There seem to be more guns, and more importantly - modifications like silencers, scopes, etc. They got rid of weapon degradation. The AI seems to be a lot better, and the shooting mechanics look dramatically better, although I'll have to play it to know for sure. And they kept the sandbox vibe, but by adding those things they've made it more meaningful. I definitely have high hopes for that game.

Any thoughts of Halo 4 yet? After a few hours of playing i must say im little disappointed. The overall feel is like c.o.d to me and some of the maps seems pretty linear. Visually its beautiful and overall a good game but it still couldnt keep up with the quality Bungie always ensured. Music isnt anywhere near O'Donnells epicness and the theater option failed miserably.
Bungie set the standarts too high and the production shouldn't regress when doing a sequel. Atleast it didn't in Bungie's era. There's still a lot of good but i miss the old Halo vibe, which is missing. This's what happens when messing with a trusted brand.

Any thoughts of Halo 4 yet? After a few hours of playing i must say im little disappointed. The overall feel is like c.o.d to me and some of the maps seems pretty linear. Visually its beautiful and overall a good game but it still couldnt keep up with the quality Bungie always ensured. Music isnt anywhere near O'Donnells epicness and the theater option failed miserably.
Bungie set the standarts too high and the production shouldn't regress when doing a sequel. Atleast it didn't in Bungie's era. There's still a lot of good but i miss the old Halo vibe, which is missing. This's what happens when messing with a trusted brand.

I'm only a few hours into it myself, and so far I like it, it's a fun game, but it's not anything special, just very fun. And it gets a bit repetitive at times, for ex.

You have an objective
You run towards objective
Enemies swarm around objective
Shoot enemies, hide and recharge shield
Do this till they all are dead
Walk up to objective and click "x" to complete
Walk in a linear line to next objective

Anyway, the graphics are really amazing, especially on my 120" 1080p projector =) I'm surprised the xbox can look that good, I don't know how they did that.

So far I give it a 7.8/10, good game, just not a great game.

I'm really looking forward to Far Cry 3. It looks like they've dealt with everything I didn't like in FC2. You can capture outposts, instead of those perpetually respawning outposts. There's a functional stealth system. There seem to be more guns, and more importantly - modifications like silencers, scopes, etc. They got rid of weapon degradation. The AI seems to be a lot better, and the shooting mechanics look dramatically better, although I'll have to play it to know for sure. And they kept the sandbox vibe, but by adding those things they've made it more meaningful. I definitely have high hopes for that game.

I'm looking forward to the story and characters more than anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYbV9g_msFs

I'm looking forward to the story and characters more than anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYbV9g_msFs

Have I ever told you the definition of insanity?

It's buying a Far Cry game for the story, are you fucking kidding? :p
The emergent gameplay will provide far more interesting stories than the lame stuff they've cooked up. You're lost on an island and there are bad guys? How'd they come up with that.

I really liked the first Far Cry, but I thought Far Cry 2 was one of the worst modern shooters I've ever spent my money on. The controls were shit (how do you fuck that up in an FPS?), the missions were so fucking repetetive, the endlessly respawning enemies. Also, who taught these Africans to shoot? These fuckers should be competing in the Olympics with their tremendous accuracy. Also, did they develop telepathy? Everytime I got spotted by one guy, everyone knew where I was at all times. Not that it mattered because I'd get shot in the head from a guy 130 yards away with a fucking assault rifle about 5 seconds after getting seen.

Have I ever told you the definition of insanity?

It's buying a Far Cry game for the story, are you fucking kidding? :p
The emergent gameplay will provide far more interesting stories than the lame stuff they've cooked up. You're lost on an island and there are bad guys? How'd they come up with that.

Obviously I'm buying it for the gameplay as well but I think the story looks incredibly entertaining and the characters look fun. Maybe it's not very original but hardly anything is these days.

I really liked the first Far Cry, but I thought Far Cry 2 was one of the worst modern shooters I've ever spent my money on. The controls were shit (how do you fuck that up in an FPS?), the missions were so fucking repetetive, the endlessly respawning enemies. Also, who taught these Africans to shoot? These fuckers should be competing in the Olympics with their tremendous accuracy. Also, did they develop telepathy? Everytime I got spotted by one guy, everyone knew where I was at all times. Not that it mattered because I'd get shot in the head from a guy 130 yards away with a fucking assault rifle about 5 seconds after getting seen.

I was also very disappointed by Far Cry 2 but it looks like Far Cry 3 is fixing pretty much every one of these problems.