Gamers Thread

Every second of this video looks incredible.

I'm playing Borderlands 2 and Red Dead Redemption right now, and have pre-ordered Far Cry 3 for thursday. I'm OD-ing on open world awesomeness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another damned Steam sale. Bought Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and been playing it since, can't recommend this game enough, arena-based multiplayer sword-fighting with more gore than your average Cannibal Corpse album...
So much fun yet it's extremely skill-based, and it's only like 10 bucks.

http://stolenprojects.com/

This guy wrote a 50,000 critical reading of Spec Ops: The Line. I found this exciting because to my knowledge no one has ever attempted such a thing before, and I think it's a step towards general acceptance of the idea that games have artistic merit. I also found it a wonderful read that greatly enhanced my appreciation for what is easily one of the most ambitious games of all time.

I still can't fucking wait to kill lots of random ethnics in Far Cry 3.

Another damned Steam sale. Bought Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and been playing it since, can't recommend this game enough, arena-based multiplayer sword-fighting with more gore than your average Cannibal Corpse album...
So much fun yet it's extremely skill-based, and it's only like 10 bucks.

Been eyeing it up, how much is the blocking etc effected by latency?

Far Cry 3 is fucking phenomenal. I have only the most trivial of complaints. It delivers in every fucking way. It's beautiful, it runs well, the world is fucking enormous, the AI is solid, the gunplay is satisfying, the bow-hunting is great, the melee kills are cool, and most random encounters play out as slickly as a scripted scene in COD, only it feels far far cooler because you know that you actually made that shit happen.

The only thing I'd change is I'd like a quicksave function. Not having one does make stealth more challenging, for sure, but a system where you can quicksave only when you're not in combat/right near enemies, for example, would still work. Not a big deal, just occasionally annoying.

But fuck. What a game. Ubisoft fucking delivered with this one. It is, in all seriousness, exactly what I hoped it would be.

I have to say I like it too, but it feels a bit repetitive to be honest. You climb a new radio tower, take a hunting challenge and take over an enemy camp of 5-6 people. Then you repeat that. Maybe it's because I'm alternating Far Cry with Borderlands 2, which is different all the time.

Funny you say that, because I found that Borderlands was extremely repetitive while I find FC3 to provide a constant change of pace. The scenarios are indeed similar, but each outpost has unique geography and each radio tower has a different location etc which means that you always have to think about the lay of the land and figure out the best approach.

Any game that lets me punch a shark in the face and hunt men for sport gets a thumbs-up from me.

The plot is pretty mediocre and fairly offensive, though, and the story missions are probably the worst thing about the game.

Funny you say that, because I found that Borderlands was extremely repetitive while I find FC3 to provide a constant change of pace. The scenarios are indeed similar, but each outpost has unique geography and each radio tower has a different location etc which means that you always have to think about the lay of the land and figure out the best approach.

Any game that lets me punch a shark in the face and hunt men for sport gets a thumbs-up from me.

The game certainly has beautiful environments and stunning graphics, but the main problem for me is that you're always in the same type of landscape, even though the topography is indeed unique. After 7-8 hours I started to find the environment a bit bland because I got so used to it. In Borderlands you have deserts, tundras, futuristic cities, djungles etc.

Another difference concerns the enemies. In Far Cry there's only something like 5 or 6 enemy types, while in Borderlands there are probably hundreds, and every one has its own strengths and weaknesses. This means that you constantly have to adapt yourself to new situations, which is really fun and challenging.