Gamers Thread

Interesting. Is it worth dropping 10 dollars on though? I somehow don't feel like it is, seeing as that's 1/6 the price of an average full AAA game at release. And that's not even accounting for if I don't enjoy it.

Anyone else on Rocket League?

i was obsessed with it for about a month. it was fun to play whilst pounding down beers and listening to music. i'm pretty terrible at the game as i'm only ranked Challenger I in 1v1 2v2 and 3v3 solo. i just don't have the patience to practice the subtleties of the game. by playing with random people it seems like 1/5 of the games your teammate will be a cunting manchild. any teammate that uses a mike only uses it to give you shit after you mess up but they never use it to direct positioning or i got it or anything useful. it's probably awesome to play with friend/s consistently but my friend that recommended the game to me never plays anymore and i only played one 2v2 match with him.

i was obsessed with it for about a month. it was fun to play whilst pounding down beers and listening to music. i'm pretty terrible at the game as i'm only ranked Challenger I in 1v1 2v2 and 3v3 solo. i just don't have the patience to practice the subtleties of the game. by playing with random people it seems like 1/5 of the games your teammate will be a cunting manchild. any teammate that uses a mike only uses it to give you shit after you mess up but they never use it to direct positioning or i got it or anything useful. it's probably awesome to play with friend/s consistently but my friend that recommended the game to me never plays anymore and i only played one 2v2 match with him.

Yeah it's a pretty decent timekiller, but playing with friends would definitely be more rewarding. Playing with people that are either derping around, are simply bad, or being intentionally bad can be annoying.

Interesting. Is it worth dropping 10 dollars on though? I somehow don't feel like it is, seeing as that's 1/6 the price of an average full AAA game at release. And that's not even accounting for if I don't enjoy it.

Having now played around 15 hours of the map I'd say it's one of my 3-4 favourite Hitman levels ever, and I've completed every map in the series many times.

I don't know if you want to spend 10 dollars on a single level though, I guess it depends on how much you like Hitman. I bought the full package in february.

As someone who's played all the games all the way through (I still revisit Blood Money and Contracts frequently too) and adores the series, I dunno. I'll have to watch more gameplay footage to get a handle on whether I think it's worthwhile. That's high praise though, you've peaked my interest.

game-consoles-meme.jpg

Currently playing VII and enjoying it a lot. Since I like the game to be challenging, I try not to grind all that much unless I have to get more cash to buy items, though I imagine that if you want to master all the materia this game would be quite the grindfest. Good story as well, though Cloud is definitely as pathetic as his reputation suggested. The materia system is a blast; setting up characters with various strengths and weaknesses is one of the more enjoyable parts of the RPG experience imo, and the materia system allows for plenty of customization. My only real gripe with the game is the navigation through environments. If I didnt leave the indicator on at all times I dont think I would ever be able to get through the areas, and even then sometimes you need to spam direction inputs until you find a way through. Fortunately it seems like the developers noticed this, and now that im further into the game there are fewer sections that are just a mess.

Did you finish this yet? It's easily among my favourite game of all time, and as an impressionable 10 year old when I first played it, it was one of the most impactful things on my development.

The materia system is indeed awesome and I don't think any of the other systems they have had in the other Final Fantasy games have topped it. There's just so much customisation you can do with it.

I know I've said otherwise in this thread but I replayed FF7 about a year ago and it's admittedly a bit dated. Even so, I still love the story and I'm not sure if "pathetic" is the term I'd use for Cloud as a character. Maybe something more along the lines of having a complete lack of identity. *spoilers alert* Being a failed Sephiroth "clone" who underwent mako experimentation has got to mess with your head. I felt like that added to his mystique.

Did you finish this yet? It's easily among my favourite game of all time, and as an impressionable 10 year old when I first played it, it was one of the most impactful things on my development.

The materia system is indeed awesome and I don't think any of the other systems they have had in the other Final Fantasy games have topped it. There's just so much customisation you can do with it.

Not yet, still hacking away at it. I just got the submarine, to put things into perspective, so my guess is that I am more than halfway through the game. So far im really enjoying it. Great story too, cant wait to see how everything pans out with Sephiroth and Shinra. I cant say that the game will have the same impact on me, since im not 10 years old anymore, but certainly it is one of the funner RPGs ive ever played (not like im a big gamer or anything). I admit that I had to reference a guide a few times to figure out what to do next, but otherwise it isnt too hard.

One of my favorite games of all time growing up was Super Mario RPG. In retrospect it was incredibly linear and not too difficult at all, but I find it to be one of the best Mario games ever, and I absolutely loved the story.

I know I've said otherwise in this thread but I replayed FF7 about a year ago and it's admittedly a bit dated. Even so, I still love the story and I'm not sure if "pathetic" is the term I'd use for Cloud as a character. Maybe something more along the lines of having a complete lack of identity. *spoilers alert* Being a failed Sephiroth "clone" who underwent mako experimentation has got to mess with your head. I felt like that added to his mystique.

No doubt that it is dated. Just look at those ugly ass 3D graphics, cheesy animations, and awkward pre-rendered landscapes. I dont think ive ever played a game with uglier art/animation, but admittedly I like stuff like this. And from what ive seen from modern RPGs vs the old school style, this game seems like the turning point of modern gaming (I can see why this game is controversially considered 'overrated' by some gamers). But seeing as the storytelling and gameplay is mostly excellent, I can forgive the game for it's poorly aged aesthetic.

As for Cloud, I think pitiful would be a better description. At first he comes across as being some valiant badass from Soldier, trying to battle down some evil organization, all proud of himself and shit, and it turns out that he was never good enough to actually be in Soldier and gets used to the point of handing his enemy their trump card. He ends up making an ass of himself because it turns out that he wasnt the badass that he claimed he was, and has a mental breakdown. It's almost like watching someone brag about this awesome skateboard trick they can do, but when they go to show you they break their wrist or their arm and start crying like a bitch. Embarrassing. Though since he regains his true memory, and therefore his identity, I guess you can say that he redeems himself after all (I havent seen the ending, but I imagine that he fights the odds against him).

I actually dont consider Cloud to be a clone since it is revealed that he was actually a real human before he was experimented on. He doesnt truly lack an identity because he does actually exist as a human being beneath the manipulation. Simply calling him a clone was more of Sephiroth/Shinra's way of trying to further manipulate him even after he has realized that something wasnt quite right.

I respect the amount of backstory and complexity involved in designing his character, but personality wise he does seem a bit childish and angsty. Still a well designed character in my book, I guess the rest of the story will show how he proceeds from here.

Reactions: Phylactery
I don't think a main character from a Final Fantasy game has ever been one of my favourites out of the cast, other than maybe Terra from 6 and Cecil from 4. But Cloud is still one of the better ones I think. Like you sad, he has a well developed back story.

When I first played it my favourite character was Red XIII, but after my initial play through I stopped liking him. After that Aeris was and remains to be my favourite character from 7. I also love her theme. I'm also a fan a Barrett, Tifa, Yuffie and Cid. Never been huge on Vincent.

Last edited:
My last playthrough I unexpectedly found myself liking Barrett best. Can't remember why exactly. I think he maybe displays the most emotion out of anyone in the cast, and he's heavily involved in the Midgar storyline which is the strongest part of the game imo. Anyway, it's not a game I love for the strength of its characterization.

Opinion: Vivi is the best character in the whole damn series. And I say that as not a big fan of IX.

I've always preferred Dragon Quest to Final Fantasy, but my favorite Final Fantasy games are IV through VI. Terra is also my favorite main character.

Vivi is awesome but I wouldn't say he's the best character out of every FF. I'd have to think about that before making a decision. In terms of 9, I've always loved the ridiculousness of Quena.

I've never played a Dragon Quest game. Which ones would you recommend as the best?

I like III, IV and V the most. People who are less used to the olden days of gaming should probably try VIII.

I think all of the main titles are good, barring X since it was only released in Japan.

I played V up until roughly the part where you grow up. I dropped it because I got frustrated by the sudden increase in encounter rate. In retrospect I regret doing so because in every other regard it seemed like a fantastic game. I have to give it another shot sometime.

I don't think a main character from a Final Fantasy game has ever been one of my favourites out of the cast, other than maybe Terra from 6 and Cecil from 4. But Cloud is still one of the better ones I think. Like you sad, he has a well developed back story.

When I first played it my favourite character was Red XIII, but after my initial play through I stopped liking him. After that Aeris was and remains to be my favourite character from 7. I also love her theme. I'm also a fan a Barrett, Tifa, Yuffie and Cid. Never been huge on Vincent.

I hated Red XIII almost from the second I met him. Further development has proven that he was kind of boring, the only interesting about him is that he is part of some basically extinct species. For a while I tried to play evenly with all of the characters, but it's been a while since ive even played as Red XIII. Aeris was just getting to be one of my more liked characters on the team until she just randomly dies. As for my favorite playable character, probably Tifa, Cid, or Vincent. I barely ever played as Cait Sith, nor do I really care for his character either.

And Terra was my favorite character from 6 as well. Havent played any of the other FF games yet. IX is the next in line, and then ill probably go more old school and play IV or V.

i fapped many times to Tifa as a teen

lemme know if you want my method of maxing limit breaks

IX is my 2nd fave, better graphics and a medieval fantasy setting